or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements - Page 61

post #901 of 2259

Quick question, Is soundstage a moddable trait? I wouldn't plan on doing a driver transplant or anything crazy like that, but can do a bit of dampening. I'm planning to get a new pair and i was thinking of shooting for Brainwavz hm5s or a pair of t50rp to mod. Everything I hear about the t50's is that they perform greatly above average, except the soundstage. Any comments?

post #902 of 2259

Finally found some time to transplant the drivers in wooden cups. Waiting for new pads now. Wondering if it would need some damping. Thinking to just use some felt on back of driver.

post #903 of 2259
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuZo2 View Post
 

Finally found some time to transplant the drivers in wooden cups. Waiting for new pads now. Wondering if it would need some damping. Thinking to just use some felt on back of driver.

Any pictures?

post #904 of 2259

 

Will upload some tomorrow.

post #905 of 2259

I'd rather leave the modding to the professional's. I would probably end up breaking the headphones. This modding thing intrigues me though. I love to see how far you can mod a headphone before you can't anymore. I'm not sure how many other headphones can be modded ,but I would love to see more headphones modded.

post #906 of 2259
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneraI View Post
 

I'd rather leave the modding to the professional's. I would probably end up breaking the headphones. This modding thing intrigues me though. I love to see how far you can mod a headphone before you can't anymore. I'm not sure how many other headphones can be modded ,but I would love to see more headphones modded.


hahhaha, me? a professional? hehehe.

I only found that funny because the T50RP's are easier to mod than you think! :)
Do note, I've only been in the mid/hifi headphone business for just a year.

All you need is the proper philips screwdriver to avoid stripping the screws, 2 hours of patience, carefulness to not rip things out like a gorilla, and basic materials like cotton balls + modelling clay + electrical tape + shure840/alpha pads.
 

That's all I used really, and based off BMF's designs, the T50rp's will sound a whole lot better.


 

post #907 of 2259

Today I understood why Smeggy called his T50rp mod Thunderpants. 
 

Initially after trying 4 holes in felt. Now I am covering driver with felt without any holes. I had tried at least 50 damping variations on fostex housing and coudnt get it to sound half decent as they sound now . 

 

Nice deep bass without any bloat or mid bass.Mids are sweet. I did not use any treble reflector but highs seem well extended and smooth.

 

Sorry could not post pictures today. Card reader is not working for some reason.

post #908 of 2259

I'm completely new to the forum. Thank you TONS for this post. I will read it a few times more and see if I can get the sound that works for me. Once a tinkerer....

post #909 of 2259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephry73 View Post

I'm completely new to the forum. Thank you TONS for this post. I will read it a few times more and see if I can get the sound that works for me. Once a tinkerer....

The most valid general point I've come to accept from BMF (amongst many) is that one must really be willing to be patient, but to enjoy the labor, or else it is better to leave the work to another who can bring the proper mentality to it. Wishing you the best of luck and much happy listening.
post #910 of 2259


I still could not read the sdcard which has pic while making it and shows internals.

 

 

post #911 of 2259

 

Good thing of porting the driver was I did not have to damp them heavily. Just a felt on back side 40x40.

post #912 of 2259
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuZo2 View Post
 


I still could not read the sdcard which has pic while making it and shows internals.

 

 

 

 

That looks awesome, well done! Did you make the pads and headband?

post #913 of 2259

 

Pads are brainwavz hm5. Headband is from old German vintage headphone.

post #914 of 2259

 

If someone needs the cad files for cups and baffles let me know.

post #915 of 2259
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has done comprehensive testing on absorption using cosmetic latex sponges like these: http://www.trim.com/?q=cosmeticsponges

Out of the bag they sound (against the ears) like they absorb a lot of midrange/treble energy. I installed half of one of the rhomboid wedges in each cup (0.5" thickness) and the results are positive and subjectively better than the other materials I had tried before (cotton wool, various foams), and I'm curious as to how would these compare against the proven absorbing materials like fiberglass or mineral wool. Anyone?
Edited by c61746961 - 2/23/14 at 4:13pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements