Quick question, Is soundstage a moddable trait? I wouldn't plan on doing a driver transplant or anything crazy like that, but can do a bit of dampening. I'm planning to get a new pair and i was thinking of shooting for Brainwavz hm5s or a pair of t50rp to mod. Everything I hear about the t50's is that they perform greatly above average, except the soundstage. Any comments?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Closed headphones for music + gaming? Last post on 2/7/15 at 9:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mad Dogs too good to be a gym headphone? Last post on 9/24/12 at 5:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need advice on headphones to compliment my Q701. (<200$) Last post on 9/6/12 at 5:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Could a modded T50rp best an HD650 (or come close to an LCD-2)? Last post on 5/22/13 at 4:07pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements - Page 61post #901 of 22592/3/14 at 12:43pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #902 of 22592/8/14 at 9:45am
Finally found some time to transplant the drivers in wooden cups. Waiting for new pads now. Wondering if it would need some damping. Thinking to just use some felt on back of driver.post #903 of 22592/8/14 at 10:03amThread StarterQuote:
Any pictures?post #904 of 22592/8/14 at 10:58ampost #905 of 22592/8/14 at 9:31pm
I'd rather leave the modding to the professional's. I would probably end up breaking the headphones. This modding thing intrigues me though. I love to see how far you can mod a headphone before you can't anymore. I'm not sure how many other headphones can be modded ,but I would love to see more headphones modded.post #906 of 22592/9/14 at 6:17amQuote:Originally Posted by GeneraI
I'd rather leave the modding to the professional's. I would probably end up breaking the headphones. This modding thing intrigues me though. I love to see how far you can mod a headphone before you can't anymore. I'm not sure how many other headphones can be modded ,but I would love to see more headphones modded.
hahhaha, me? a professional? hehehe.
I only found that funny because the T50RP's are easier to mod than you think! :)
Do note, I've only been in the mid/hifi headphone business for just a year.
All you need is the proper philips screwdriver to avoid stripping the screws, 2 hours of patience, carefulness to not rip things out like a gorilla, and basic materials like cotton balls + modelling clay + electrical tape + shure840/alpha pads.
That's all I used really, and based off BMF's designs, the T50rp's will sound a whole lot better.
post #907 of 22592/9/14 at 1:01pm
Today I understood why Smeggy called his T50rp mod Thunderpants.
Initially after trying 4 holes in felt. Now I am covering driver with felt without any holes. I had tried at least 50 damping variations on fostex housing and coudnt get it to sound half decent as they sound now .
Nice deep bass without any bloat or mid bass.Mids are sweet. I did not use any treble reflector but highs seem well extended and smooth.
Sorry could not post pictures today. Card reader is not working for some reason.post #908 of 22592/13/14 at 8:22ampost #909 of 22592/13/14 at 10:56amQuote:
The most valid general point I've come to accept from BMF (amongst many) is that one must really be willing to be patient, but to enjoy the labor, or else it is better to leave the work to another who can bring the proper mentality to it. Wishing you the best of luck and much happy listening.post #910 of 22592/20/14 at 5:25ampost #911 of 22592/20/14 at 5:27ampost #912 of 22592/20/14 at 5:28amQuote:
That looks awesome, well done! Did you make the pads and headband?post #913 of 22592/20/14 at 5:33ampost #914 of 22592/20/14 at 5:34ampost #915 of 22592/23/14 at 4:08pmHey all, I was wondering if anyone has done comprehensive testing on absorption using cosmetic latex sponges like these: http://www.trim.com/?q=cosmeticsponges
Out of the bag they sound (against the ears) like they absorb a lot of midrange/treble energy. I installed half of one of the rhomboid wedges in each cup (0.5" thickness) and the results are positive and subjectively better than the other materials I had tried before (cotton wool, various foams), and I'm curious as to how would these compare against the proven absorbing materials like fiberglass or mineral wool. Anyone?
Edited by c61746961 - 2/23/14 at 4:13pm
- Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 10 seconds ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 53 seconds ago
- › WANTED: SBooster / BOTW P&P ECO 12V - 13.2V 56 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › NOBLE Savant Thread (Impressions, Reviews, Tours) 2 minutes ago
- › The first person to listen to the HD 598 CS Closed Back 2 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 2 minutes ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 4 minutes ago
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by Takeanidea
- › MEElectronics Air-Fi AF32 Stereo Bluetooth Wireless Headphones with... by e07015
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear