Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements - Page 44

post #646 of 1311

I've been meaning to post for a while but i've been busy as of late. Here's my latest and final mod config. DBV V3 except with the following changes.

 

1) No felt over the driver and no treble reflector

2) Bass ports 100% sealed

3) V- Moda replacement cable

 

The result is a pretty dark sound but with really good instrument separation (as good as or better than my k702s) with a really nice strong resonance (think denon d2000s except more exaggerated) with bass that extends low with lots of impact. I know that that's a lot of superlatives but these have replaced the k702s and denons as my most used/favorite headphone through my psii after the aforementioned tweaks. 

post #647 of 1311
i have an idea: make 4 pyramids out of plasticine or newplast. or even foam and put one in each corner of the cup floor stock the open space with cotton or similar... any thoughts on what this might do? my guess is it might kill a lot of resonance?
Edited by rudeboybass - 6/15/13 at 8:23am
post #648 of 1311
http://www.nvx.com/headphones/xre100a.html
wow these look interesting!
post #649 of 1311

I think the conclusion on these is that they do not fit the T50rp. The Mad Dog Alpha pads are really nice though. The Alpha pads are what I use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboybass View Post

http://www.nvx.com/headphones/xre100a.html
wow these look interesting!
post #650 of 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

I think the conclusion on these is that they do not fit the T50rp. The Mad Dog Alpha pads are really nice though. The Alpha pads are what I use.

 

I have the NVX pads and I couldn't make them fit the Fostex....way too tight.  They fit nicely onto some wooden cups I made but I like the sound better with the Shure 840 pads.  Keith developed his mods using the 840 pads so I suppose it would take some tuning to make the NVX pads sound as good.  I like the sound of the 840s so much thats all I use.

post #651 of 1311

I got the Alpha pads sounding really good. The 840 pads were nice, but the sound and comfort with the Alpha pads is better for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinook9 View Post

 

I have the NVX pads and I couldn't make them fit the Fostex....way too tight.  They fit nicely onto some wooden cups I made but I like the sound better with the Shure 840 pads.  Keith developed his mods using the 840 pads so I suppose it would take some tuning to make the NVX pads sound as good.  I like the sound of the 840s so much thats all I use.

post #652 of 1311

Are they even worth trying directly bonded to the baffle face? Of course you'd have to have previously stripped off the stock felt covering to adhere properly.

post #653 of 1311

If you have the budget, and the will to spend more time re-tuning I highly recommend the Alpha pads. They are super comfy like pillows on your ears and the soundstage is greatly improved since the pads are so severely angled. The biggest problem, beside the price is that they require different tuning than the SRH840 pads. The way I have mine tuned in right now they were so worth it in the end. I really never thought my Q701's would be collecting dust, but these have dethroned my Q701. Even the soundstage width isn't that bad considering it's still a closed headphone. Way better imaging than the Q701 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick n View Post

Are they even worth trying directly bonded to the baffle face? Of course you'd have to have previously stripped off the stock felt covering to adhere properly.

post #654 of 1311

Has anyone tried using non stiffened craft felt?

post #655 of 1311
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by siles1991 View Post

Has anyone tried using non stiffened craft felt?

Coincidentally, another DIY'er recently asked me this same question. Here's my reply:

 

I will answer your question by beginning with a question:  Where will you install either type of felt… And, for what purpose?

 

Understanding the general effects of individual modding components, and your implementation of each one, is essential for developing a total configuration that works. This knowledge is also useful once you've completed your initial build and begin the tuning process. Incremental Mods and Measurements provides some of the knowledge needed to formulate a plan for your initial build configuration. "Tuning Rules of Thumb" in Incremental Mods and Measurements provides suggestions for fine tuning your initial build. (See Post #1)

 

Whether or not soft vs stiff felt works for a given application depends on too many variables to know exactly what effects either will produce. The same is true for any component you may consider using. Changing just one variable may help in one area of the frequency response but produce an unexpected change in another area of the frequency response. The end result may be a "curse" or a "gift." You must make only one change at a time to understand the actual effects of a specific tuning tweak in your current configuration.

 

If you are referring to installing felt to the back of the driver for "direct damping," keep in mind that soft felt is more permeable than stiff felt. More permeable damping materials = Less damping effect, and vice versa. Soft felt may work for you, or not. You won't know until you try it. You may have to use more than 1 layer of soft felt; or maybe not. Remember that the more damping materials you use, the less sensitive your ‘phones become…requiring an amp, at some point.


Edited by bluemonkeyflyer - 7/4/13 at 6:49am
post #656 of 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonkeyflyer View Post

If you are referring to installing felt to the back of the driver for "direct damping," keep in mind that soft felt is more permeable than stiff felt. More permeable damping materials = Less damping effect, and vice versa. 

 

Also of note, a soft material on top of a dense material can be more effective at damping than just the dense material alone. However, this is highly dependent on the absorption and reflection coefficients of the materials in question. Changing your effective cup volume with all the extra stuffing will also affect things. 


Edited by Armaegis - 7/4/13 at 2:43pm
post #657 of 1311
Thread Starter 

^^ Good points to remember....  when thinking about a damping gradient.

post #658 of 1311
Got the measurements of my modded T50RPs from Tyll (many thanks to him), I think they measured well and they sound pretty good.





http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexT50RPDIYModifiedMagicman.pdf
post #659 of 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Got the measurements of my modded T50RPs from Tyll (many thanks to him), I think they measured well and they sound pretty good.

 

You're welcome, and as I was putting together the update I took a look at yours and all the other modded T50RPs I've measured, and yours do indeed measure quite well. Nice job!

post #660 of 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Got the measurements of my modded T50RPs from Tyll (many thanks to him), I think they measured well and they sound pretty good.





http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexT50RPDIYModifiedMagicman.pdf

Did you follow a mod in this thread or did you do the Rhastapants?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements