Clever. This is very helpful...Thank You! I now have a good reason to order the Beyer Gel Pads.
Would you post a picture of the versatile Transpore tape applicaton? Did you cover the entire ear side of the driver?
All semblance of awesomeness is restored. In fact, I think I like this a bit more since I feel like this has a bit snappier midbass, the subbass is given a little bit more volume, and the mids is a bit more prominent. I feel like the soundstage is a wee bit smaller, but like it has a larger sense of air than the standard DBV#3.
So what did I do to make the Beyer gel pad work?
1. Beyer gel pads
1a. the included foam disk. Shown is its transparency.
2. Soft felt made from 100% polyester fibre (in this case, mine is from Creatology) cut in the size of the whole baffle
3. Dense rubber piece (the ones like those exercise mats) at 2mm, cut in the size of the felt area on the baffle.
Not shown: 3M Transpore tape.
So the first trial I did is to stack 3, then 2 then 1a on top of each other before putting 1 on using The Amazing Electrical Tape. That resulted in post #449. Amazing on first listen but then I started to notice some sharp spikes around 11k area.
Tried to fix them using these melamine foam scrap I have around (my supply is running low so I try to save as much as I can without cutting more from a block).
Putting them in front of the driver ear-side did little to no change.
My next trial is to took out the huge felt piece altogether and go from there. Much much better now. No treble spikes that I find painful, and this results in my impressions at the top of the post; the only difference from the final result is that the mids is a bit shouty/too forward for this midrange lover.
I figure that I have to put something in front the driver to tame the mids. Melamine foam doesn't work, and looking at the BMF Emergency Care Pack I have, there's nothing that I can put ear-side without compromising ear comfort. Then I spotted the transpore tape and I said "Why not?".
Apply directly to forehead onto the driver, making sure not to overlap the tapes. I needed two pieces of tape to cover the driver without closing the baffle port. Then put 3 on, then 1a and then 1.
The result is an amazing variation to DBV#3 with a better sealing pad perfect for the cold weather**.
**I've been running the beyer gel pad the longest time, and that included my time in Malaysia. Sweaty as all heck.
As I write this post, I have been listening to more music that I'm very familiar. I think this has a bit more detail in bass and upper mids, but no perceived detail that's usually the result of over-eager treble (all of this is inclusive with the impression at the top of this post).
I suggest you try it out, since you have more material to try and you know your way how to make measurements that made sense. :P