The other evening, I had a need to make a small custom cable, so I went ahead and tried to source part of the cable with current materials that I had on hand. I reached for a spare Fostex locking cable that is the standard cable that comes with the T50RPs. To my surprise, it was purely junk when I had cut it open. The three conductor wires were literally the thickness of a piece of thread. Each of the wires appeared to be coated with some sort of resin to insulate them as they didn't have their own dedicated insulation material covering each individual wire. Then, all three wires were just embedded in the rubber cable itself when the cable was molded. So, essentially, 98% of the standard Fostex cable is just the rubber component itself. The other 2% is the meager wires that they have used for the cable itself. I've seen such a cable practice be used in the past in some of the lower end Sennheiser headphones. It's sad when they use such junk to make cables for consumer goods.
Here is a picture that I recently took of what I found:
Thanks for the photo. Those wires are tiny. It's surprising to me that they work as well as they do. I compared the stock cable with the V-Moda cable and cannot hear any improvement from V-Moda. I actually like the stock cable better because it's tough and doesn't tangle like the V-Moda cable. I have not tried any DIY or after market boutique cables but would like to.