Hmm.. I actually have some of those here at the house already.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Closed headphones for music + gaming? Last post on 10/16/12 at 5:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mad Dogs too good to be a gym headphone? Last post on 9/24/12 at 5:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need advice on headphones to compliment my Q701. (<200$) Last post on 9/6/12 at 5:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Could a modded T50rp best an HD650 (or come close to an LCD-2)? Last post on 5/22/13 at 4:07pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I am not sure how these got such rave reviews. As background I've used DBA02 Sony XBA3 prior to purchasing these. I was interested because of its double dynamic drivers. After receiving...
Disclaimer: I would like to sincerely thank Salsera and Brainwavz for providing the sample S5 for this review. For most of my audio listening “career”, I haven’t been a big fan of...
I remember browsing the ebay like many of you guys do to see what is out there in portable amplifier land and this one caught my attention because for one it looked very nice and second it...
Intro The HE-400i is the latest headphone from Hifiman. It was released recently as a replacement for the popular HE-400. This write-up will give my initial impressions of the HE-400i as well as...
There's not much that haven't been said about this amazing universal IEM so I'll try not to repeat. I bought the TG334 at Fujiya Avic...thanks to AnakChan for his strong recommendation and for...
Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements - Page 81post #1201 of 12158/9/14 at 11:45pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1202 of 12158/10/14 at 8:17ampost #1203 of 12158/10/14 at 8:48ampost #1204 of 12158/10/14 at 10:07amThread StarterQuote:
Variable Bass Port Mod
Last year, I ordered some thin, flat rubber magnets with the intention to use them for a Variable Bass Port mod. I posted this idea in either FIMM or the T50RP mod thread but never got around to doing much with the idea. I put the magnets away and other projects have delayed my experiments. This is what I had in mind.
1. Use an X-acto knife to cut away the internal stock felt to expose Only the second from the bottom slot. The other 3 slots remain covered by the stock felt.
2. Magnet 1: Cut a flat rubberized magnet to precisely fit the external cup vent area.
3. Make a template of thin card stock matching the dimensions of Magnet 1.
4. Determine the exact position of the second from bottom vent slot and mark the card stock template.
5. Cut a slot in the card stock template that overlays and aligns Exactly with the second from bottom vent slot...Be sure to leave 5 mm on either side of the template slot.
This will result in an opening ~ 16mm wide, centered over slot 2 with 5 mm closed on either side.
6. Use the template to cut the open slot in Magnet 1 that must perfectly align with the open cup slot.
7. Glue Magnet 1 onto the external cup vent area. Be sure all 4 sides are sealed and the open slot of Magnet 1 is aligned with the open cup vent slot.
8. Apply a thin bead of GE Silicone II to Magnet 2's edges for a perfect seal. Wipe away excess silicone for a clean look.
1. Cut Magnet 2 to match the dimensions of Magnet 1.
2. Use the cardboard template to mark a centered, 2 mm opening that perfectly aligns with the open slot in Magnet 1 and the second from bottom, now Open, cup vent slot.
3. Cut out the Variable Bass Port with an X-acto knife using a metal ruler as a guide.
4. Make multiples of Magnet 2 with centered openings of different sizes; for example, 3 mm, 4 mm, 5 mm, 7 mm, 10 mm, and 13 mm for a total of 6, progressively wider openings.
5. Magnets 1 and 2 will attract and attach to one another, creating a variable modified bass port determined by Magnet 2's slot width.
6. Dialing in the Bass Port size desired for a particular modification configuration and gear chain should be easy and fast.
If anyone tries this, please post results.
Edited by bluemonkeyflyer - 8/10/14 at 10:09ampost #1205 of 12158/10/14 at 1:35pmpost #1206 of 12158/19/14 at 5:58ampost #1207 of 12158/19/14 at 6:01ampost #1208 of 12158/19/14 at 6:05ampost #1209 of 12158/19/14 at 6:05am
You bet! I have some screws for them already, but I'm going to get some black screws from Lowes before I ship them out to the person. The silver screws I have clash with these colors pretty badly.post #1210 of 12158/19/14 at 7:16ampost #1211 of 12158/19/14 at 2:20pmpost #1212 of 12158/19/14 at 5:01pm
Very nice. The texture is so good with these drivers and with the Paxmate, dynamat, clay on the baffles, and the bass ports they are awesome. With both bass ports open they're effing bass cannons. Like, D2000 step aside, I've got some bass to drop.post #1213 of 12158/19/14 at 5:03pm
Heck yeah, I love the way they look and so did the guy who wanted this mod done for him (these aren't mine, they're a mock up of my old pair).
It's nice having a dual entry detachable cable option that doesn't make you drill out massive holes in the bottoms of the cups.post #1214 of 12158/19/14 at 6:58pm
Thats what i put on my shure 840s, and, caspers doing that on my t50s as well. I actually like them, and i have one balanced hifiman cable for all 3 of my hps now. I never understood why people didnt like the smc/sma connectors. BUT, ive been working with mini coax, cat5/6 and fiber for years so im used to tiny "flimsy" connectors.post #1215 of 12158/23/14 at 9:56pmQuote:
Yep, loving them also . Ears no longer touch the driver. No noticeable downgrade in sound.
- Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Budget headset for gaming and music(onboard soundcard + DAC question) 37 seconds ago
- › Grado e Series 1 minute ago
- › Music City Meet -- Nashville, TN -- Fall 2014 (Sept 20, 2014) 1 minute ago
- › S5 Review by EricP 1 minute ago
- › beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions. 2 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 3 minutes ago
- › TDK BA200 - Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Jitter Correlation to Audibility 3 minutes ago
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by xsuper
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by HK_sends
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Dsnuts
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by canuckavelli
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 by Francisk
- › Logitech UE 900 by twister6
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)