Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Are Pioneer headphones good?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are Pioneer headphones good?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

I haven't heard much about them, what can you tell me about them?

post #2 of 18

Their consumer line generally doesn't have a very good rep but their DJ line is highly regarded both by music professionals and by audiophiles. 

post #3 of 18

In past years, their cans have not been very well-regarded.  As a result, they suffer from the "Philips" syndrome and bear the stigma of mediocrity.  However, as of late - and like Philips, they have been making some pretty decent models.  However, the Philips syndrome persists so not a whole lot of people know about them.

As you can tell from my profile, I have more than a few of these recent models.  And for the most part, I rather enjoy them (for varying purposes and genres of course).  Is there anything specific you'd like to know about their current line or any specific model?

Here are some threads about their recent models for your reading pleasure:

Pioneer SE-A1000:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/306273/pioneer-se-a1000

Pioneer SE-MJ591:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/582403/new-pioneer-flagship-se-mj591
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615590/new-pioneer-se-mj591-audiophile-headphones-unboxing-impressions-to-come

Pioneer SE-MJ751:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/610966/new-pioneer-se-mj751-bass-head-headphones
http://www.head-fi.org/t/611622/new-pioneer-se-mj751-bass-head-headphones-unboxing-impressions-updated

Pioneer SE-MJ721:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/610967/new-pioneer-se-mj721-in-white-red-or-black

 

post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

In past years, their cans have not been very well-regarded.

 

What past years are you talking about here? Just curious. I would assume you're not talking about cans from the 70s but rather more recent decades.

post #5 of 18

LOL, nope definitely not referring to the 70's stuff.  That's way before my time (was but an infant then) and I haven't heard any of those models anyway so there's nothing for me to say either way.

 

Mainly the consumer-level stuff floating around before (and somewhat leading into) the Beats era:  in particular their Steel Wheels and Loop series.  Actually the Loop series persists, but it seems like it's not nearly as heavily marketed these days so maybe it's being phased out.

 

BTW, I should note that I am NOT referring to their higher-end stuff.  Though I have not heard them, I have read more than a few posts where people seemed to regard the Monitor 10s as pleasing to them.  Also, I'm excluding their entire DJ line from my remarks.  smile.gif

post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

LOL, nope definitely not referring to the 70's stuff.  That's way before my time (was but an infant then) and I haven't heard any of those models anyway so there's nothing for me to say either way.

 

Lol. Yeah I was just wondering what cans you meant, because I have a few Pioneer cans from the 70s which I love.

post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post

Lol. Yeah I was just wondering what cans you meant, because I have a few Pioneer cans from the 70s which I love.

 

Interesting that you mention that.  I had a chance to pick up an SE-30 at a yard sale a couple weeks back for $10.  They were somewhat in a state of disrepair and would have required some mending (pads & recabling).  As I didn't have access to Head-Fi atm for some quick impressions research, I passed.  Did I miss out on anything great?  And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they make an electrostatic cans at one point?

post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

 

Interesting that you mention that.  I had a chance to pick up an SE-30 at a yard sale a couple weeks back for $10.  They were somewhat in a state of disrepair and would have required some mending (pads & recabling).  As I didn't have access to Head-Fi atm for some quick impressions research, I passed.  Did I miss out on anything great?  And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they make an electrostatic cans at one point?


Of the white models, I only have the SE-50, which are the model that have tweeters. The SE-30 is the next 'step down' in that headphone line. For ten bucks, the SE-30 would've been a great deal IMO if they didn't need a lot of work. Obviously pads and such are hard to come by these days, so you'd either need to make them, buy another pair to use for parts, find them somewhere, or possibly repair the ones on there. As for stats, maybe you're referring to the SE-1000 or SE-100J models? They were electrostats I believe. I don't know much about them, but I'm on the lookout for a pair.


Edited by BrownBear - 7/15/12 at 6:25pm
post #9 of 18

Also, I don't think you missed something great, per say. I think these paper cone models are probably an acquired taste really, I just happen to like the sound and find it very interesting to listen to. Now, if you saw Monitor 10s for that cheap, then maybe you did pass up something great, IMHO.

post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post


Of the white models, I only have the SE-50, which are the model that have tweeters. The SE-30 is the next 'step down' in that headphone line. For ten bucks, the SE-30 would've been a great deal IMO if they didn't need a lot of work. Obviously pads and such are hard to come by these days, so you'd either need to make them, buy another pair to use for parts, find them somewhere, or possibly repair the ones on there. As for stats, maybe you're referring to the SE-1000 or SE-100J models? They were electrostats I believe. I don't know much about them, but I'm on the lookout for a pair.

 

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  Trying to find pads for a 35-year old model that might not have been crazy popular in the first place would be a challenge indeed.  And since I sew about as good as I paint - which is to say that I could do it if I had to but it ain't pretty - would have been too much of an investment in time for me.

 

If I ever come across a pair of SE-1000 or SE-100J, I'll let you know.  What would be a good price for them (just in case the opportunity is fleeting)?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post

Also, I don't think you missed something great, per say. I think these paper cone models are probably an acquired taste really, I just happen to like the sound and find it very interesting to listen to. Now, if you saw Monitor 10s for that cheap, then maybe you did pass up something great, IMHO.

 

I'm in that lo-fi/mid-fi stage right now where I'm trying out different sound signatures.  As a result I'm open to a lot of stuff.  So far, I like AKGs, Senns are okay, I like Pioneers (obviously), thinking about Grados, very curious about orthos, can't afford Denons/Beyers, and I'm spectacularly unimpressed with Beats.  If I find another pair at a reasonable price that doesn't need so much work I'd give it a shot.  I am eagerly awaiting the LA meet so that I have a chance to hear some really highly-praised cans.

 

Right, a Monitor 10 (that's what it was called).  Why did I say R10?  Maybe I was remembering 10R incorrectly...  In any case, based on what I've read, if I ever saw a Monitor 10 for anything less than $50 (even in need of repair) I'd probably consider it an instabuy. 

post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

 

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  Trying to find pads for a 35-year old model that might not have been crazy popular in the first place would be a challenge indeed.  And since I sew about as good as I paint - which is to say that I could do it if I had to but it ain't pretty - would have been too much of an investment in time for me.

 

If I ever come across a pair of SE-1000 or SE-100J, I'll let you know.  What would be a good price for them (just in case the opportunity is fleeting)?

 

 

I'm in that lo-fi/mid-fi stage right now where I'm trying out different sound signatures.  As a result I'm open to a lot of stuff.  So far, I like AKGs, Senns are okay, I like Pioneers (obviously), thinking about Grados, very curious about orthos, can't afford Denons/Beyers, and I'm spectacularly unimpressed with Beats.  If I find another pair at a reasonable price that doesn't need so much work I'd give it a shot.  I am eagerly awaiting the LA meet so that I have a chance to hear some really highly-praised cans.

 

Right, a Monitor 10 (that's what it was called).  Why did I say R10?  Maybe I was remembering 10R incorrectly...  In any case, based on what I've read, if I ever saw a Monitor 10 for anything less than $50 (even in need of repair) I'd probably consider it an instabuy. 

 

Not sure what the SE-1000 or the other go for, as I've never seen one for sale and I don't know much about them. With the Monitor 10, there were three versions, the Monitor 10, then the Monitor 10ii, then the Monitor 10R which is the most recent. But yeah, I would for sure recommend taking a listen to one of those old school Pioneer models if you get the chance. There's still so many I want to hear. Like the SE-500/700s. They seem nice, and I almost had a pair for a good price awhile back but decided I had enough headphones around. Lol.


Edited by BrownBear - 7/15/12 at 7:25pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post

enough headphones

 

confused.gif

 

I haven't been here at Head-Fi very long, but I thought that was one of those commonly held misconceptions that we all leave that the door upon becoming members here?

 

Hey OP, if you don't come back soon we're gonna hijack this thread big time...

post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

 

confused.gif

 

I haven't been here at Head-Fi very long, but I thought that was one of those commonly held misconceptions that we all leave that the door upon becoming members here?

 

Hey OP, if you don't come back soon we're gonna hijack this thread big time...


Lol. But yeah, you're right, because what did I do last week? Yep. Get a pair of K240. So much for 'enough headphones around'.

post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post

Lol. But yeah, you're right, because what did I do last week? Yep. Get a pair of K240. So much for 'enough headphones around'.

 

The Sextetts right?  I only have the Studio, but like them I do.  smile.gif

 

BTW, SE-205 for $5

post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

 

The Sextetts right?  I only have the Studio, but like them I do.  smile.gif

 

BTW, SE-205 for $5


Yeah, I got the Sextetts. So far I really like them.

 

Also, I loved the Studios. I'm contemplating getting another pair, but this time hunting for a pair that was made in Austria to see for myself if there's truly any differences between the models made in China and those made in Austria.

 

Where were your Studios made?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Are Pioneer headphones good?