Just bought a Valhalla today. I already have an arsenal of over 100 different types of tubes, so it should be fun.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBurson Audio Soloist Amptagged by System, 7/19/12
- productDNA Stratus 2a3tagged by System, 7/19/12
- productHeadAmp Blue Hawaii SE Electrostatic Amptagged by System, 7/19/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/19/12
- productMeier Audio Corda Classictagged by System, 7/19/12
- productRay Samuels The Dark Startagged by System, 7/19/12
- productSchiit Mjolnirtagged by System, 7/19/12
- productViolectric HPA V200tagged by System, 7/19/12
- productWoo Audio 2tagged by System, 7/19/12
Related Forum Threads
- headamp for beyer T1 Last post on 9/29/12 at 5:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp for a noob that likes to only buy once...? Last post on 9/30/12 at 5:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Cheaper solid state dedicated headphone amps that power the HE-6... Last post on 7/27/12 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Mjolnir vs. V200 (vs. Soloist) Last post on 11/15/13 at 7:09pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amps recommandation for HE800 Last post on 3/10/13 at 5:40pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 7/26/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I started this review with the intention of pointing out the things I don't like about it, but man, there really isn't much I don't love about these. Out of the box they sound very thin and...
It does a good job as a DAC for my starving student amp. Eventually, I will probably upgrade but it works well enough. It is nice that it powers off of USB and doesn't take up tons of space.
The review is based on the stock pads, not based on the upgraded velour pads. The only problem with the sound quality is a weird color in the upper mids, around vocal range. This is due to the...
The 880s don't have a lot of color to themselves. They're light comfortable cans that get the job done. They are a well rounded headphone good for someone who can't quite figure out what kind of...
Bass: solid, balanced and extended with excellent pitch. Can be Stygian and prodigious with the right recordings. Midrange: clear, coherent, tonally complex and saturated. Vocals are rendered with...
What amps have you got your eye on? - Page 6post #76 of 1557/18/12 at 11:06pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #77 of 1557/19/12 at 8:09ampost #78 of 1557/19/12 at 9:24ampost #79 of 1557/19/12 at 3:06pmpost #80 of 1557/19/12 at 3:17pmQuote:
The Valhalla has been updated by Schiit to be tube rollable. It's cool again. The old Valhalla is vintage.post #81 of 1557/19/12 at 5:00pmpost #82 of 1557/19/12 at 5:59pm
The obsolete Valhalla is rollable! You just need to stick with the same type/model of tube. I have 6n1p tubes from four different factory's, different years and different grades.
There all going to sound a little different.post #83 of 1557/20/12 at 8:09ampost #84 of 1557/20/12 at 8:13am
You can roll in the same tube type from different manufacturers (but there is some debate if more than one manufacturer actually made the tube--they might just be rebadges). You cannot roll in "equivalent" or alternate, "near", or "like" tubes into the old Valhalla.post #85 of 1557/20/12 at 9:09ampost #86 of 1557/20/12 at 9:31amQuote:
But in the past, folks would roll tubes of brands, not types, as most tube gear was intended for one type/model of tube.post #87 of 1557/20/12 at 10:06am
Very true, but as the hobby grew, designers and users began to push the envelope and roll in "near" equivalent tubes.post #88 of 1557/20/12 at 11:48ampost #89 of 1557/20/12 at 12:03pmpost #90 of 1557/20/12 at 12:14pmQuote:
It all depends on the DAC and cans your using. For the short time I've had mine, I've noticed the stock tubes a pretty much flat, not bright at all. The tubes I just rolled in are way to forward, bright, alive or fast paced(take your pic)
They sound warm and smooth in my Xcanv3.
So I'd say YES! you can shape the sound in many ways by rolling tubes.
- What amps have you got your eye on?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 8 seconds ago
- › Ultimate Ears 600, pair them with the FiiO e5 or FiiO e6 amps? 17 seconds ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 4 minutes ago
- › W/Rap Sucks 2.0..............................Rap/HipHop... 5 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 6 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Impressions and feedback. 6 minutes ago
- › Frequencies, Hertz-es, Ohm-ses..tired of them ? Visit the FUN... 6 minutes ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by jshaffe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by jshaffe
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones, Black by pataburd
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Trunks159
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude