So I thought I'd start a new thread about getting a DAC, but hijacking threads is more fun :D (and stops the crap threads).
I am looking for something sub £400, preferably about the £225 - £300 mark. Possibly £350 if its v.good.
My requirements are:
- Audio from my PC Via S/PDIF/Toslink/USB to a DAC.
- I have no requirement for DAC to have a built in headphone amp (nor do I want one) but if it comes with it - bonus feature.
- Output via Phono and balanced output (I will sacrifice balanced if DAC is very good)
- Multiple inputs as I have a few sources
- One of the options below :D
My current options are (by what I've read and availability in UK):
- Matrix Mini-i - £225
- Peachtree DAC•iT - £285
- Arcam rDAC - £300
- Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus - £350 (Seems ideal - I know system matching can be tricky but I've got a decent kit to match)
- Musical Fidelity M1 DAC - £400- Ideal but out of my price range? Unless someone wants to sell me one.
In terms of sound - any of these are better than what I have but I'm tempted by the DACMagic plus the most as it looks the best (personally) and I would like a fair bit of detail from my setup. Warmth is not neccessary as I have my HK to do that for me.
Setup will be: Source -> DAC-> Fiio e9 -> Headphones or Source-> DAC -> HK Amp -> Mordaunt Short MS902i's which match very well with the amp I have.
Looking to buy ASAP so help please. Thanks.
have a read on rockgrotto forum about latest musical fidelity kit. i think you will then remove it from your shortlist.
i was reading about the latest headphone amp, and it dont appeal to former MF fans.
having said that, i did like my v-dac. so maybe a v-dac2 would be worth consideration