Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Fighters anyone?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fighters anyone? - Page 4

post #46 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by catscratch View Post

Still, on the whole I do agree with their stance that fighting games need to be more accessible if they intend to stay popular. The age of people spending 6 months to learn to move in Quake properly are generally over, people don't have that kind of patience and dedication. You need to give newcomers a sense that they still have at least some chance or they'll get frustrated and quit.
 

I miss those days... I grew up with Quake 2 as my first multiplayer and competitive game...  I will always have very fond memories of it.  There are still games that require a lot of time to become decent at, for example, starcraft 2, tekken.  Those are about the only ones I can really think of off the top of my head though.  They are becoming quite rare, because as you said, people want accessible games.

 

Thus why games such as World of Warcraft and League of Legends are among the biggest games in the world.

post #47 of 69

Smash Bros Brawl has never been that exciting to watch competitively (even though I f'ing love that game), but last night's Apex matches were the best Brawl has ever been.

post #48 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by gl0ry View Post

I miss those days... I grew up with Quake 2 as my first multiplayer and competitive game...  I will always have very fond memories of it.  There are still games that require a lot of time to become decent at, for example, starcraft 2, tekken.  Those are about the only ones I can really think of off the top of my head though.  They are becoming quite rare, because as you said, people want accessible games.

 

Thus why games such as World of Warcraft and League of Legends are among the biggest games in the world.

Well, I do agree that League of Legends and WoW have shallow learning curves but I wouldn't call them the most  accessible as they do require knowing a lot about the game to be good at them, they are just maybe not as difficult to understand or technically intensive as starcraft or fighting games but there are "worse" games out there such as most modern FPS games or farmville.

post #49 of 69
Thread Starter 

Shamefully I am a current wow player and played since vanilla basically with no breaks, and currently in panda land, its pretty much designed so a 4 year old can pick it up.  While I so agree that it does require more mental capacity than any fps, the quality in games is in the gutter. Street fighter 4 I feel has so much tact and room to master, been playing street fighters all my life and still feel like a scrub at times and that I need to learn more.  Recently picked up Gen, don't know why, but its fun all over again.  Kinda my buzzed rant going on here. 

post #50 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatanabe View Post

Well, I do agree that League of Legends and WoW have shallow learning curves but I wouldn't call them the most  accessible as they do require knowing a lot about the game to be good at them, they are just maybe not as difficult to understand or technically intensive as starcraft or fighting games but there are "worse" games out there such as most modern FPS games or farmville.

They're also team games.  Which in my opinion means that people tend to have entitlement issues and less sense of responsibilities in those games.  

 

You could easily play like crap, and still get carried, thinking you did well.  People constantly blame one another for mistakes made in those two aforementioned games.  In 1vs1 you have no one to blame but yourself if you lose.  That's the beauty of it.

post #51 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I miss the days when arcades were thriving.

 

Old post but so relevant.  I love fighters but it was my favorite genre when arcades actually existed - well some places still have them, but its obviously not the same.  Playing someone in the arcade is far more rewarding than playing against xXxKFCxELITExSHADOWxGUYxXx.

 

Of current fighters I guess I am more into SF4, SC and MK.  I just can't get into the BlazBlue or Persona 4 Arena game engines.  Not only am I not a fan of the engines there is too much crap going on.  Keep it simple.  Why does there have to be explosions going on just from an uppercut?

 

I really liked Killer Instinct because everyone tried so hard to get some big hit combo they ignored the basics.  I didn't meet anyone I couldn't beat at that game.   Fighters are awesome, but I only truly appreciate them when I can see the person I'm playing.  Still my favorite genre to play with friends.

post #52 of 69

Fighters on the PC with an arcade stick for me.

post #53 of 69
Thread Starter 

I WISH Killer Instinct was still around.  No one could touch my Fulgore.  Period.  My buddies all want to play the lame sfxt now so I been teaming up in that on 360, but I think its time to find an emulator and play some Killer Instinct again.  I also tried the P4A and I can't get into it.  Boaz Blue would be better but its sooooo easy to exploit cheap tricks and utter lameness.  Its sad because Guilty Gear was pretty good.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niteblooded View Post

 

Old post but so relevant.  I love fighters but it was my favorite genre when arcades actually existed - well some places still have them, but its obviously not the same.  Playing someone in the arcade is far more rewarding than playing against xXxKFCxELITExSHADOWxGUYxXx.

 

Of current fighters I guess I am more into SF4, SC and MK.  I just can't get into the BlazBlue or Persona 4 Arena game engines.  Not only am I not a fan of the engines there is too much crap going on.  Keep it simple.  Why does there have to be explosions going on just from an uppercut?

 

I really liked Killer Instinct because everyone tried so hard to get some big hit combo they ignored the basics.  I didn't meet anyone I couldn't beat at that game.   Fighters are awesome, but I only truly appreciate them when I can see the person I'm playing.  Still my favorite genre to play with friends.

post #54 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ximkolo View Post

I WISH Killer Instinct was still around.  No one could touch my Fulgore.  Period.  My buddies all want to play the lame sfxt now so I been teaming up in that on 360, but I think its time to find an emulator and play some Killer Instinct again.  I also tried the P4A and I can't get into it.  Boaz Blue would be better but its sooooo easy to exploit cheap tricks and utter lameness.  Its sad because Guilty Gear was pretty good.

Ehh.., I don't mis KI.  I always would rather play MK than KI.  I find it funny that I live in Atlanta, with a pretty deep fighting game community so that I can enjoy these games.  I hear you about P4A, but with BlazBlue CSE is very good and the best one of the bunch.  Still can't get better than Guilty Gear.  The 2013 patch for SFxT made the game very playable now, but I have my time split up between Tekken and Guilty Gear.

post #55 of 69
Thread Starter 

I been meaning to buy Tekken tag 2 but when it came out I was too busy with work to really play, and now I am planning on picking up that new aliens game for some reason.  But I did dust off the she's last night and got whooped by the computer in KI, lol. 

post #56 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ximkolo View Post

I WISH Killer Instinct was still around.  No one could touch my Fulgore.  Period.  My buddies all want to play the lame sfxt now so I been teaming up in that on 360, but I think its time to find an emulator and play some Killer Instinct again.  I also tried the P4A and I can't get into it.  Boaz Blue would be better but its sooooo easy to exploit cheap tricks and utter lameness.  Its sad because Guilty Gear was pretty good.

 

I miss (the first) KI too.  Oddly enough my best character wasn't my favorite character.  By far my favorite was Glacius.  I LOVED playing some Glacius.   Whenever I played Riptor though any one who knew me would come up to the arcade and ask, "Who pissed you off?"  I don't know why people associated me playing Riptor = me being pissed off, but I did play Riptor whenever faced against tough competition.  I can't even count the number of times I lost as Riptor because I don't recall losing with him.  I'm sure I did as no one is perfect but my WLR had to be pretty damn high with him.  I think it had more to do with Riptor having a brutal looking style.  They did a good job capturing the velociraptor more so than they did with the werewolf Sabertooth ...who was fun to use but didn't skream brutal.

 

That said, I absolutely sucked (at all of the arcade fighting games - MK, SF, KI, etc.) on the console.  The timing was different.  The reach of the attacks was different.  It was so different I litterally turned my brain off playing on the console because I didn't want to mess up what I knew for range & timing on the arcade.  My best friend who litterally couldn't touch me in the arcade walked all over me (all day) on the console.  So of course he would talk mad trash when we played at home ...ha ha hah good times.

post #57 of 69

I loved Killer Instinct. I remember rubbing my thumbs raw trying to do insane combos. My favorite character was Fulgore.

 

Currently I'm playing Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. I like the fast pace it delivers and its always fun to watch top players. I used to play SF4 but dropped it due to UMVC3 because I only have time for one fighter. When I used to grind out SF4, I could never beat those with high BP points. But in UMVC3, I'm able to win a few games (2-3 out of 10 games) against Cosmic Lords and 1st Lords.

post #58 of 69

If anyone is down to get grimy on some UMVC or SSFIVAE hit me up.. I'm on both the box and the ps.

 

BUT, I spent more years and time on MvC2 than any other fighting game though. So if you want to get in on that original Mahvel.. oh lawdy am I up for it..

 

Project Justice is still one of my faves from the DreamCast tho!!

post #59 of 69
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RochRx7 View Post

If anyone is down to get grimy on some UMVC or SSFIVAE hit me up.. I'm on both the box and the ps.

 

BUT, I spent more years and time on MvC2 than any other fighting game though. So if you want to get in on that original Mahvel.. oh lawdy am I up for it..

 

Project Justice is still one of my faves from the DreamCast tho!!

you can add me on xbox.  zimkolo.  I play umvc3, sfxt, sf4ae, and mvc2.  I am hella rusty, but should not take long to get back on it.

post #60 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ximkolo View Post

you can add me on xbox.  zimkolo.  I play umvc3, sfxt, sf4ae, and mvc2.  I am hella rusty, but should not take long to get back on it.

aite will do!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Fighters anyone?