Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Burning ath-m50 in
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Burning ath-m50 in

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Hi head-fiers ,

So I got my new ath-m50 today and I want to burn them in properly. Should I use white/pink noise or should I just listen to music at normal volume. Is there any difference at burn in quality between pink/white noise and normal music. And lastly does an amp increase burn-in quality.

post #2 of 12

I don't quite know if there is a proper way but I would think the best way is to use pink noise. This is because it gives each octave equal sound power thus meaning the burn in is even. I could be very wrong here though so I'd suggest getting this checked!

post #3 of 12

Most people say burn-in can be done by playing any kind of noise--pink noise, white noise, or just your music--at slightly higher than regular listening levels.

 

Many others say burn-in is a myth and therefore a waste of time. :)

 

My advice: don't stress about it. Most likely your M50s won't change at all. Just put 'em on and start enjoying them.

 

And as far as your question about an amp increasing burn-in quality.....I think you're taking this way too seriously. Don't get me wrong, if after "burn-in" your M50s sound different then by all means, come back and tell us about it. But I highly doubt they will. The evidence suggests that its more about your ears and brain getting used to the sound characteristics of the headphones than it is about the headphones changing over time.

 

Others might feel differently.

post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post

Most people say burn-in can be done by playing any kind of noise--pink noise, white noise, or just your music--at slightly higher than regular listening levels.

 

Many others say burn-in is a myth and therefore a waste of time. :)

 

My advice: don't stress about it. Most likely your M50s won't change at all. Just put 'em on and start enjoying them.

 

And as far as your question about an amp increasing burn-in quality.....I think you're taking this way too seriously. Don't get me wrong, if after "burn-in" your M50s sound different then by all means, come back and tell us about it. But I highly doubt they will. The evidence suggests that its more about your ears and brain getting used to the sound characteristics of the headphones than it is about the headphones changing over time.

 

Others might feel differently.

Oh it does change. My friend has an ath-m50 and the day he bought it I tested it. It was still very very good without burn-in. But when he burned it in, bass got more punchy, mids got louder and less recessed and highs got A LOT more clearer. He used normal music to burn-in but he isn't a pro in hi-fi world too. So I just wanted to get opinion from someone with experience.

post #5 of 12

It has been proven that "Barbie Girl" by Aqua on loop for exactly 273 hours and 43 seconds is the best method of burn in for the M50. But they must be worn nonstop during that time for it to work, if you break the cycle you must start again.

post #6 of 12

just use your headphones as you usually would. you gotta give it some time. play music, watch a movie/video, play some games. itll take a few days but thats what i did with mine. if you're gonna just play pink noise (or whatever), you may as well just play dubstep. at least entertain yourself and use the headphones as intended. it took me about a week for the bass on my m50 to actually sound a lot more fuller compared to when i first got them. i was disappointed with the bass.

post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilly View Post

just use your headphones as you usually would. you gotta give it some time. play music, watch a movie/video, play some games. itll take a few days but thats what i did with mine. if you're gonna just play pink noise (or whatever), you may as well just play dubstep. at least entertain yourself and use the headphones as intended. it took me about a week for the bass on my m50 to actually sound a lot more fuller compared to when i first got them. i was disappointed with the bass.

Thanks. I guess I will do that. But one last question. Do you use your m50 with or without an amp. If with, does it make a massive difference. 

post #8 of 12
When i bought them i didnt use an amp. I recently bought an hd598 with an asus dg. When i plugged in the m50 to the dg. The bass was so much better. It rumbled a lot more, which i like. An amp isnt necessary but its only $30 for an asus dg. Worth it imo.
post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 

Thanks. Maybe I will buy one in the future.

post #10 of 12

Many burn in guides say to play your music at a slightly higher than listening volume.  The ATH-M50 will probably not take a very long time or have a very dramatic effect.  Just leave em playing music overnight if you feel like it.  Use any type of noise if you wish.  I did not find an amplifier greatly increased the quality, but I did notice some extra bass impact as well.

post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alv4426 View Post

It has been proven that "Barbie Girl" by Aqua on loop for exactly 273 hours and 43 seconds is the best method of burn in for the M50. But they must be worn nonstop during that time for it to work, if you break the cycle you must start again.

true dat!

but it has to be on repeat not in a loop, plus, you have to scrobble it on last.fm to make it actually work.

post #12 of 12
As i said, other people might have different opinions on the topic. biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Burning ath-m50 in