Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Need some help choosing some headphones and an amp for around £400 listening to Progressive House and Alternative Rock
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need some help choosing some headphones and an amp for around £400 listening to Progressive House...

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Hey everyone. I'm new here and looking for a little help.

 

I'm currently sitting on a mid-ish range set-up my current set-up is as follows. 

  • Sennheiser HD558's
  • Astro Gaming Mixamp with TOSLINK connection

 

I'm looking to spend around £400 ($615) on upgrading it. I mainly listen to Deadmau5, Linkin Park and Red Hot Chilli Peppers and mid to high volume. All of which being .flac files also.

 

Following on I have been looking into some Sennheiser HD650's though I don't know what amp I should look for.

 

All suggestions welcome. Thank you for you're time !

post #2 of 11

Ultrasone PR0 750. 

You can go with the Matrix m stage, + the HRT streamer Dac. 

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwess View Post

Ultrasone PR0 750. 

You can go with the Matrix m stage, + the HRT streamer Dac. 

 

Ultrasone PR0 750

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/ultrasone-pro750-closed-back-professional-headphones?utm_source=google+shopping&utm_medium=google+shopping

 

Matrix M Stage

http://www.ampcity.co.uk/matrix-m-stage-headphone-amp.html

 

 

HRT Music Streamer II

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0038O4UFQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_g23_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=000NXZKTSPVA3D7P71BP&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

 

Total £553.59

 

Its a bit too expensive, also I don't like folding headphones I have a tendency to break things like that no matter how careful I am. While I was waiting for a reply I was looking around and found this.

 

Sennheiser HD650's

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD-650-Reference-Headphone/dp/B00018MSNI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1RFKOGW98T8U9&colid=YTKDNHJBTWJV

 

FiiO E9

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-Desktop-Headphone-Amplifier-Dock/dp/B004M172FY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?

ie=UTF8&coliid=I2KXJ7NJFHROBZ&colid=YTKDNHJBTWJV

 

FiiO E7

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-Portable-Headphone-DAC-Amplifier/dp/B003N0XDT4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I26OXHT11PEILX&colid=YTKDNHJBTWJV

 

Total £411.72

 

I kinda like this one so I can use the E7 on my android too. But I have no idea how good it is. 

post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaimera View Post

I'm currently sitting on a mid-ish range set-up my current set-up is as follows. 

  • Sennheiser HD558's
  • Astro Gaming Mixamp with TOSLINK connection

 

I'm looking to spend around £400 ($615) on upgrading it. I mainly listen to Deadmau5, Linkin Park and Red Hot Chilli Peppers and mid to high volume. All of which being .flac files also.

 

Following on I have been looking into some Sennheiser HD650's though I don't know what amp I should look for.

The HD558s are open headphones, do you care if newer headphones are open or closed?

 

Any reason your using a gaming device (Astro Mix-Amp) for listening to music?

 

Might be helpful to know what source(s) your plugging into?

PC?, Mac?, iPod?, PS3?, xBox?

 

Have you tried removing the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558?

post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 

The HD558s are open headphones, do you care if newer headphones are open or closed?

 

The 558's are nice cans I like the open nature and I'm usually alone so the leak isn't bothering anyone so in all it makes little difference to me.

 

Any reason your using a gaming device (Astro Mix-Amp) for listening to music?

 

I had bought the entire Astro system a while ago for the 360 as time went on and I upgraded to PC I used it for its optical input. Still play games here and there but I'm growing up a lot and moving away from that sort of thing.

 

Might be helpful to know what source(s) your plugging into?

PC?, Mac?, iPod?, PS3?, xBox?

 

I uses a PC and Android. Also using a REGA Planar 3 Turntable hooked into Linn Intek Amp (no idea of the model)

 

Have you tried removing the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558?

 

No i have not tried that though. I have heard about the modification.


Edited by Chaimera - 7/12/12 at 3:08pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaimera View Post

The HD558s are open headphones, do you care if newer headphones are open or closed?

The 558's are nice cans I like the open nature and I'm usually alone so the leak isn't bothering anyone so in all it makes little difference to me.

Any reason your using a gaming device (Astro Mix-Amp) for listening to music?

I had bought the entire Astro system a while ago for the 360 as time went on and I upgraded to PC I used it for its optical input. Still play games here and there but I'm growing up a lot and moving away from that sort of thing.

Might be helpful to know what source(s) your plugging into?

PC?, Mac?, iPod?, PS3?, xBox?

I uses a PC and Android. Also using a REGA Planar 3 Turntable hooked into Linn Intek Amp (no idea of the model)

Have you tried removing the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558?

 

No i have not tried that though. I have heard about the modification.

Could just get Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-Ohm or DT880 Pro 250-Ohm headphones.

I believe the Astro Mix-Amp. can decently power those headphones.

(Sennheiser HD650 I'm guessing would need (should get) a better DAC/Amp. then the Astro.)

 

A very low cost DAC upgrade

SMSL SD793 ($65) or SMSL SD-1955 ($100)

 

With an low cost amplifier.

SMSL SAP-100 ($65)

or a single tubes headphone amplifier, sold on eBay, priced from $70-$90, ships from China.

 

If you still want to be able to game or watch movies, the Asus Xonar Essence STX would be a nice (all in one) choice.

 

Not sure what to do with the Android?

post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

Could just get Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-Ohm or DT880 Pro 250-Ohm headphones.

I believe the Astro Mix-Amp. can decently power those headphones.

(Sennheiser HD650 I'm guessing would need (should get) a better DAC/Amp. then the Astro.)

 

A very low cost DAC upgrade

SMSL SD793 ($65) or SMSL SD-1955 ($100)

 

With an low cost amplifier.

SMSL SAP-100 ($65)

or a single tubes headphone amplifier, sold on eBay, priced from $70-$90, ships from China.

 

If you still want to be able to game or watch movies, the Asus Xonar Essence STX would be a nice (all in one) choice.

 

Not sure what to do with the Android?

Don't worry about the android i only use it as a phone and i have some buds i use for it anyway.

 

Sennheiser HD650's

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00018MSNI/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_g23_i3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0B1BRXXRT81FMEMAF9P9&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

 

As for everything else. I like the idea of getting a complete audio set-up so I'll go for the 650's

 

SMSL SD-1955

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMSL-SD-1955-DIR9001-AD1955-DAC-Optical-Coaxial-Decoder-Power-Adapter-Black-NE-/180770398813?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item2a16c1625d

 

Here are the 2 Amp choices though i need you're help if the second AMP is actually an AMP or a Pre AMP

 

SMSL SAP-100

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMSL-SAP-100-portable-Headphone-amplifier-for-CD-DVD-MP3-PC-power-adapter-/220916568973?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item336fa7538d#ht_6962wt_1163

 

Class A Hybrid Tube Headphone Amplifier 6922EH Pre AMP

(AMP I need help with)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Class-A-Hybrid-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-6922EH-Pre-AMP-/110661863333?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item19c3f607a5#ht_7945wt_1163

 

Total £407.19 (with the SMSL SAP-100)

 

Thanks for all you're help so far <3

post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaimera View Post

Don't worry about the android i only use it as a phone and i have some buds i use for it anyway.

 

Sennheiser HD650's

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00018MSNI/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_g23_i3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0B1BRXXRT81FMEMAF9P9&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

 

As for everything else. I like the idea of getting a complete audio set-up so I'll go for the 650's

 

SMSL SD-1955

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMSL-SD-1955-DIR9001-AD1955-DAC-Optical-Coaxial-Decoder-Power-Adapter-Black-NE-/180770398813?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item2a16c1625d

 

Here are the 2 Amp choices though i need you're help if the second AMP is actually an AMP or a Pre AMP

 

SMSL SAP-100

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMSL-SAP-100-portable-Headphone-amplifier-for-CD-DVD-MP3-PC-power-adapter-/220916568973?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item336fa7538d#ht_6962wt_1163

 

Class A Hybrid Tube Headphone Amplifier 6922EH Pre AMP

(AMP I need help with)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Class-A-Hybrid-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-6922EH-Pre-AMP-/110661863333?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item19c3f607a5#ht_7945wt_1163

 

Total £407.19 (with the SMSL SAP-100)

 

Thanks for all you're help so far <3

It is a headphone amplifier and a pre-amp. (I have the Muse 6922 EH Head Amp only)

I like the Indeed design a little bit better, but the Muse is like half the price of the Indeed.

(I could not tell the difference sound wise between my Indeed and Muse)

 

Those amplifiers sound a little better if you adjust and balance the voltage (12 volts?), a cheap digital multi-meter (DT830) is needed (and a small Philips head screwdriver).

There are a few head-fi threads on these amps (Bravo, Indeed, Muse. etc)

Also the website Rockgrotto has some good threads on these amps in their headphone amp. section.

post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

It is a headphone amplifier and a pre-amp. (I have the Muse 6922 EH Head Amp only)

I like the Indeed design a little bit better, but the Muse is like half the price of the Indeed.

(I could not tell the difference sound wise between my Indeed and Muse)

 

Those amplifiers sound a little better if you adjust and balance the voltage (12 volts?), a cheap digital multi-meter (DT830) is needed (and a small Philips head screwdriver).

There are a few head-fi threads on these amps (Bravo, Indeed, Muse. etc)

Also the website Rockgrotto has some good threads on these amps in their headphone amp. section.

So the one I linked here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Class-A-Hybrid-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-6922EH-Pre-AMP-/110661863333?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item19c3f607a5#ht_7945wt_1163 will work fine with the SMSL SD-1955 ?

 

If so I know what I'm buying ;D

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaimera View Post

So the one I linked here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Class-A-Hybrid-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-6922EH-Pre-AMP-/110661863333?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item19c3f607a5#ht_7945wt_1163 will work fine with the SMSL SD-1955 ?

 

If so I know what I'm buying ;D

Ok, the listing say headphone amplifier and pre-amplifier, the pictures just show the headphone amplifier only model

So they are using the wrong picutres or it's a head amp. only

I think it's the Muse Mk2 model that is head amp, and pre-amp.

 

Just about any external DAC works with just about any headphone amplifier.

It's just a simple one way 2-channel analog (wave) signal between them, usually RCA cables.

post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

Ok, the listing say headphone amplifier and pre-amplifier, the pictures just show the headphone amplifier only model

So they are using the wrong picutres or it's a head amp. only

I think it's the Muse Mk2 model that is head amp, and pre-amp.

 

Just about any external DAC works with just about any headphone amplifier.

It's just a simple one way 2-channel analog (wave) signal between them, usually RCA cables.

Awesome looks like I know what I'm getting ;D thanks again for all you're help !

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Need some help choosing some headphones and an amp for around £400 listening to Progressive House and Alternative Rock