I love listening to music. I am also an Architecture student and we spend a lot of time in studio at school (sometimes pulling all-nighters), listening to a lot of music, and working on our models. I’ve been wanting a decent-quality set-up for a while and I think it is time to stop wanting and invest!
Just keep in mind that I am very new to all of this. Never owned decent-quality full-size headphones. Spec and tech terms that I am using below are still new to me. Joining head-fi community is a last stage of my research =)
My Situation:Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Output: Mainly listening to Hip-Hop, so it is all about the bass. I do also listen to Rock, Electronic, and Instrumental music. I do game and watch a lot of movies/videos as well.
Quality: Most tracks are 320kpbs MP3. Thinking going lossless, but that’s later on.
Devices: Using MacBook Pro (2011) and iPhone 4 equally.
Closed vs Open: Still undecided, but leaning towards closed headphones over open for 3 reasons:
1) Isolation from outside
2) Less sound leakage
(questions on this topic below)
Headphones: After a long research, articles, lots of youtube videos + visual/coolness factor I am only looking at the following series (more questions on them below):
Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm or DT880 250Ohm (now only two because I am not considering the 600 Ohm versions since I am only using a portable amplifier.
OEM: Undecided. I know it is important, so questions on it below...
AMP/DAC: Only looking to get one of these: Fiio E17 vs E7 vs E11. Plan is to only get one, but use it for iPhone 4, MacBook Pro, car AUX(?). More on it below.
Mods: Possibly in the future. Most likely I will mod the cable. Cutting through headphone cables while working on models is a common issue for Architecture students, so I will most likely do a mod that will allow me to plug cable into headphones + I want a shorter cable then the one coming with Beyerdynamic DTs (3 meters is too long). Budget is $50. I might do can out of wood with brushed metal accents in a year or two, but I’ll have to research more on that later on. Never done anything like this, but Architecture students can get pretty crafty + we got all the wood/meal working and hardware tools provided by the school.
My Questions (I'll keep updating this portion with new questions if I have them and deleting questions that were answered):Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
1. I know that closed headphones supposedly give better isolation (not confusing with noise cancelation), less sound leakage, and better basses. On the other hand open headphones can produce a more natural mids and highs. Yet I value isolation, leakage, and especially bass the most. My question is how much more is the difference between the two and is it something an unexperienced listener can notice when comparing two types of headphones, or is it a something an experienced audiophile can notice?
2. If I were to end up getting higher Ohm (like 600/800Ohm) version of Beyerdynamic DT 770/880 would it be a noticeable audio-quality loss, if I were to (lets say) forget my amp at home and plug them directly into iPhone 4? ...
3. ... Would 250Ohm be a better choice to fit the both situations (iPhone 4 with and without an AMP/DAC)? ...
4. ... Speaking of volume levels, would 250Ohm headphones play at least as loud as the apple headphones would on an iPhone 4 or they won’t have enough power to do it?
5. Do higher Ohms headphones tend to drain more battery and if yes then how significant is it?
6. Portable AMP via AUX in a car??? I know the DAC part won’t work without a USB connection, but would it increase the volume and bass if I were to use one of those portable AMPs (FiiO E17 / E7 / E11) when listening to iPhone 4 via AUX in the car?
7. How much would a DAC improve music-quality when using with a MacBook Pro? I am asking because if it isn’t that much of the difference I would go with the E11 for the price, but especially because I fricking love that it has a physical knob and switches instead of monitor and buttons. It also is a lot lighter, smaller, and thinner. Dimensions/weight do matter because I will be carrying it with an iPhone 4 in my pocket, but this is kinda secondary. Yet music quality is superior out of these three, so does DAC improve music that much more that I should consider getting E7 or E17 (instead of E11) to be used on laptop?
8. Now that you know everything about my situation, music type, bass priority, ..., ..., ..., which one of these two headphones would you suggest?
Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm or DT880 250Ohm
9. As far as I know Apple iTouch can only put out 32 Ohms via 3.5 mm connection. Is it the same number with an iPhone 4?
10. How much does an iPhone put out when connecting it with a dock connection?
11. I also wonder how much can a MacBook Pro put out with it's 3.5 mm connection?
Any help/suggestions/opinions is GREATLY appreciated. Is there anything else I need to know on the topics?Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
and who knows, maybe if you don't listen to this now you will never get a chance to listen to finest Russian Rap again.
Edited by Yero - 7/12/12 at 3:55pm