Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Balanced cable for Mad Dogs (Modded Fostex)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Balanced cable for Mad Dogs (Modded Fostex)?

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 
Is there an available balanced cable for Mad Dogs? I know the stock cable goes into only one side. I know one of the modders has modded it with a balanced cable. Pardon my ignorance, but can you have a balanced cable that enters only one side? Is there a ready-made solution to balance them?

The reason I ask is that I'm torn between a Mjolnir balanced amp or Mad Dogs as my next wallet drain. Balancing my HD650s is a simple matter of buying a new cable...but would it be crazy hard to get the Mad Dogs balanced?
post #2 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by disastermouse View Post

Is there an available balanced cable for Mad Dogs? I know the stock cable goes into only one side. I know one of the modders has modded it with a balanced cable. Pardon my ignorance, but can you have a balanced cable that enters only one side? Is there a ready-made solution to balance them?
The reason I ask is that I'm torn between a Mjolnir balanced amp or Mad Dogs as my next wallet drain. Balancing my HD650s is a simple matter of buying a new cable...but would it be crazy hard to get the Mad Dogs balanced?

I hear ya on this. I am torn with the Mjolnir as well. Far as I know wje is the only one to balance out his Fostex.

Their isn't specifically a balanced cable out there, but you can make one. Dan has no immediate plans of offering a balanced 

option either. 

post #3 of 32

Lets assume that Dan might want to get involved in a balanced cable..say 6 months ..or... ,a year from now,

any idea what it might run??..just a ball park  figure.

 

Could possibly be,more the headphones them selves..no??


Edited by mikek200 - 7/12/12 at 5:03am
post #4 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek200 View Post

Lets assume that Dan might want to get involved in a balanced cable..say 6 months ..or... ,a year from now,

any idea what it might run??..just a ball park  figure.

 

Could possibly be,more the headphones them selves..no??

It shouldn't cost anymore, it would just be an option.

post #5 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by disastermouse View Post

Is there an available balanced cable for Mad Dogs? I know the stock cable goes into only one side. I know one of the modders has modded it with a balanced cable. Pardon my ignorance, but can you have a balanced cable that enters only one side? Is there a ready-made solution to balance them?
The reason I ask is that I'm torn between a Mjolnir balanced amp or Mad Dogs as my next wallet drain. Balancing my HD650s is a simple matter of buying a new cable...but would it be crazy hard to get the Mad Dogs balanced?

 

 

Here is my Q701s balanced with only one entry.

 

My Mad Dogs are out right now being re cabled hard wired with one entry as well.  Will post pics when it's done.

 

Q701-Recable.jpg

post #6 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

It shouldn't cost anymore, it would just be an option.

 

 

It just may be an extra cost.  It's more labor as Dan only provides the stock cable now.  So the XLR connector along with the cable and labor uumm..  

post #7 of 32

Who is balancing out your Mad Dogs?

post #8 of 32

http://www.zynsonix.com/

 

"Bryan" - Really cool dude.. and real skillful.

 

Tell him Darryl sent you 

 

beerchug.gif

post #9 of 32

Surprised I've never heard of him. Sent him a message, but I hope he can change them from the stock single entry. When are you expected to have them back?

post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Surprised I've never heard of him. Sent him a message, but I hope he can change them from the stock single entry. When are you expected to have them back?

 

Well,

 

He's also doing a pair of Thunderpants for me as well with duel entry.  When Dan gets back of Vacation I have to see If my Dogs has the bass error.  They seem a little thin.  So I told Bryan to hold off until Dan can verify.

post #11 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

Well,

 

He's also doing a pair of Thunderpants for me as well with duel entry.  When Dan gets back of Vacation I have to see If my Dogs has the bass error.  They seem a little thin.  So I told Bryan to hold off until Dan can verify.

What are you still doing using TP's? tongue.gif

 

Man, it seems that a good amount of people have "recessed Mad Dogs". Hope Dan comes back from vaca a little early! haha

Looking forward to your re-assessment of the Mad Dogs...especially when they're balanced out.

post #12 of 32

TP1 - a true collectors item.  Especially at the price I got it for.  I also would like to do my own side by side comparisons.  OH my Paradox from LFF ships out next week, and just got my BMFs in as well.  I'm T50RP'ed out.

post #13 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

TP1 - a true collectors item.  Especially at the price I got it for.  I also would like to do my own side by side comparisons.  OH my Paradox from LFF ships out next week, and just got my BMFs in as well.  I'm T50RP'ed out.

 

Although I envy the resources available to try all these different cans, I'm also glad I get to benefit by others' experiences here on head-fi.

 

I'm hoping to jump once more to orthos and then hold off for a long while till I can afford the SR-009 and a good amp and then just be 'done'.  (<- likely story)

post #14 of 32

That is true. I've wanted a Paradox for a while now, but the LCD-3 has drained my headphone budget for a minute. You are officially the Fostex aficionado. biggrin.gif

post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by disastermouse View Post

 

Although I envy the resources available to try all these different cans, I'm also glad I get to benefit by others' experiences here on head-fi.

 

I'm hoping to jump once more to orthos and then hold off for a long while till I can afford the SR-012 and a good amp and then just be 'done'.  (<- likely story)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Balanced cable for Mad Dogs (Modded Fostex)?