A few days back, I purchased the Sennheiser HD 598. After reading tons of reviews on it, I thought this would be the perfect start for a budding audiophile on a student budget.
The knowledge present here is amazing, and I have read quite a bit how a DAC/amp would improve my listening experience (especially a DAC).
Unfortunately I can't see the forest for the trees when it comes to DAC's and Amps, so I would be very thankful if you could help me out.
· budget: ca. 150 usd/eur, preferably readily available in Western-Europe
· looking for: USB DAC/amp combination, portability not really an issue since using with laptop
· headphones: Sennheiser HD 598
· source: mostly lossless audio through laptop (2007 MacBook Pro)
· genres: rock, classic, some electronic
· notes: I prefer detail, clarity and soundstage over bass (I can always use my Koss PortaPro's if I want thumping bass for electronic)
Would I truly need an amp, or will a good DAC suffice? I aim to having something future proof, for when I might someday start a job and have money for better headphones.
These are DAC's with amplifiers I have already been looking at, which I can get relatively easy and are within my budget:
· Firestone Audio, Fireye2 (€70)
· FiiO E10 (€80)
· HRT HeadStreamer (€135)
· Nuforce uDac2 (€135)
· Good standalone DAC (maybe ODAC?) recommendations are also greatly appreciated!
Which one of these, or others, will help me get the most out of my Sennheisers?
Thanks so much for the help!
Edited by niic - 7/20/12 at 7:02am