Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Should I upgrade my Sennheiser HD515 to HD558?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I upgrade my Sennheiser HD515 to HD558?

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 

I just bought a Audio Technical M50, it's quite different from the HD515 I have had for a while.

 

The M50 seem to have more clear highs, but the sound is not as natural as the Sennheiser HD515..but the 515 doesn't have crystal clear highs like the M50

 

Would I hear much difference if I upgrade to HD558 instead? would the high's sound better than the HD515.. I seem to read somewhere the 518, 558, 598 all have similar frequency response..

 

Sennheiser has better sound stage,but the M50 seem to have more clear sound. I can more more detail with the M50, but sometimes feel like I'm hearing too much detail and it's very sensitive to the source of music I'm listening to, with lwo quality mp3 it sounds worse than the HD515


Edited by michaelscai - 7/9/12 at 9:30pm
post #2 of 38

Don't know how you mange to get "clear highs" with the M50. They were extremely warm sounding to me and IMO crap. The HD5xx will be more neutral sounding meaning you will get less bass but better mids/highs.

 

Also remember the M50 is closed and the HD5xx are open.

 

Personally i would look for a HD555 and do the remove foam mod which pretty much makes it a HD595.

post #3 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscai View Post

I just bought a Audio Technical M50, it's quite different from the HD515 I have had for a while.

 

The M50 seem to have more clear highs, but the sound is not as natural as the Sennheiser HD515..but the 515 doesn't have crystal clear highs like the M50

 

Would I hear much difference if I upgrade to HD558 instead? would the high's sound better than the HD515.. I seem to read somewhere the 518, 558, 598 all have similar frequency response..

 

Sennheiser has better sound stage,but the M50 seem to have more clear sound. I can more more detail with the M50, but sometimes feel like I'm hearing too much detail and it's very sensitive to the source of music I'm listening to, with lwo quality mp3 it sounds worse than the HD515

What source(s) are you plugging the headphones into?

post #4 of 38

M50 has more promnent highs, but the hd558 foam modded has clearer but not so prominent highs, voices are played very well with the hd558 i feel

post #5 of 38
Thread Starter 

that's probably what i meant, the M50 seem to have more prominent highs, not necessarily more clear..

 

my question is what do I gain by going from HD515 to HD558, would I notice a big difference? In what area? or is the difference minor?

 

My music source is just my phone a HTC HD2

 

M50 seem to give a more intense listening experience, sometimes too much for me.. the sennheiser is more laid back and more natural and real sounding.. but when i'm drinking I prefer the M50 :)


Edited by michaelscai - 7/9/12 at 11:01pm
post #6 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscai View Post

That's probably what i meant, the M50 seem to have more prominent highs, not necessarily more clear..

 

My question is what do I gain by going from HD515 to HD558, would I notice a big difference? In what area? or is the difference minor?

 

My music source is just my phone a HTC HD2

 

M50 seem to give a more intense listening experience, sometimes too much for me.. the Sennheiser is more laid back and more natural and real sounding.. but when I'm drinking I prefer the M50 :)

The Senn HD558 ($180) and HD598 ($250) use the same driver.

Which I'm sure is better then the one that comes in the HD515

post #7 of 38

From what i've heard, the hd558 and 598 are a big upgrade from the 555 and 595, so it probably will be an even bigger upgrade going from the 515 to the 558/598. And also, the 558 and 598 use the same driver, but they don't sound the same because the cups are made of different material. From what i remember, i think the 558 had a little more bass than the 598s, but the 598s have more forward mids. I don't really know if it's worth the price difference between the two, you'll have to decide that for yourself. 

post #8 of 38

with the hd558 you wll get a much wider soundstage compared to the M50, if you foam mod (makes it similar to the 598) it it will become very very wide.  and yes the hd558 is significantly different, the 518 is more bassy, but the 558 is more natural and has better soundstage, and the 598 has clearer treble and an even better soundstage 

post #9 of 38

Throw away the M50s and get the sennheisers, the hd 558 is a very good allrounder for home use

post #10 of 38
Thread Starter 

Yeah the M50's are over-rated I think, the sound is unatural and it headphone is not comfortable..

 

What's a cheap place to buy HD558? the cheapest i can see is 180 at amazon.

 

Sennheiser should make the 3.5mm cable standard not through an adapter, that's kinda silly and bulky

post #11 of 38

Used Sennheiser HD558s are sold on eBay. low prices.

post #12 of 38

If you need a closed headphone the DT250 are a good deal if you get them cheap. I prefer the DT250 over the HD5xx.

post #13 of 38

sorry for off topic comment , but....today i compared my foam modded hd558 to the shop's hd598, and concluded that the they sound the same except the hd558 feels more cloudy and not as clear as the hd598, the end.

tried the M50 too, disliked the overall thin sound signature, just not enough solidness to the sound but it is a good headphone still, nevertheless i didnt choose it

anyway i suggest the upgrade, it is significantly different and better compared to the hd518 and the M50 i feel

post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post

sorry for off topic comment , but....today i compared my foam modded hd558 to the shop's hd598, and concluded that the they sound the same except the hd558 feels more cloudy and not as clear as the hd598, the end.

tried the M50 too, disliked the overall thin sound signature, just not enough solidness to the sound but it is a good headphone still, nevertheless i didnt choose it

anyway i suggest the upgrade, it is significantly different and better compared to the hd518 and the M50 i feel

The modded HD558 and the shop's HD598, any idea on how much break in time each headphone has had?

post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

The modded HD558 and the shop's HD598, any idea on how much break in time each headphone has had?

My HD558 has about a hundred hours in the last 3 weeks, the HD598 at the shop..... maybe just a few hours of playtime? (basically new) 
personally i have not much idea how much has changed since burn in since i was fine tuning the eq on it at the same time...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Should I upgrade my Sennheiser HD515 to HD558?