For the price that you can get the SRi60 for and even the 80 for that matter.....it seems to be a great bang for the buck......I may recommend them to a friend...he wants good sound and not break the bank.....if he does not like them...I will take em
- productEdifier S730tagged by System, 7/10/12
- brandGradotagged by System, 7/10/12
- productGrado GS1000tagged by System, 7/10/12
- productGrado Magnum v4tagged by System, 7/10/12
- productGrado Professional Series PS500 - Headphonestagged by System, 7/10/12
- productGrado PS1000 Headphonestagged by System, 7/10/12
- productGrado Reference RS2 Headphonestagged by System, 7/10/12
- productGrado RS1tagged by System, 7/10/12
- productGrado RS1i Reference Series Headphonestagged by System, 7/10/12
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 7/10/12More
- productGrado SR60i Headphonestagged by System, 7/10/12
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 7/10/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/10/12
Related Forum Threads
- Grado Fan Club! Last post on Yesterday at 11:27 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado Sr325is vs RS2i vs PS500 Last post on 12/15/13 at 6:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado vent mod Last post on 6/23/12 at 8:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Big Grado sound signature variation of the same models Last post on 6/1/12 at 2:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- What I think... GS1000 vs RS1 vs RS2... and vs SR80. Last post on 11/1/10 at 7:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/21/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Question For All "GradoHolics" - Page 2post #16 of 447/10/12 at 7:58amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 447/10/12 at 8:09amQuote:
Yep, I started out in this hobby by comparing several phones in the under $100 range. The 80s stood out for me in a big way and I really have to credit them for propelling me down this path. I've already bought a couple pairs for friends and they love 'em.post #18 of 447/10/12 at 8:17amThread StarterQuote:
The 80s also come with an 1/8 plug, correct ? Them and the 60is ?post #19 of 447/10/12 at 8:29ampost #20 of 447/10/12 at 8:34am
I have recently bought my first Grado, the PS500, after much contemplation and perusing the forums. The PS500 is simply magical imho, the best I have heard. My experience is with Sennheiser 600 & HD598, ATH M50, AKG Q701, V-Moda M80, various iems like UE & Shure, etc. All of them have their strengths, to my ears the HD598 & Q701 are quite good and the V-Moda is a fine portable-but they all pale in comparison to the PS500! I think Stacker45 and most of the other Grado fans are giving a very accurate picture of the different Grado cans. By the way, I have never seen a sale on Grados and found it almost impossible to demo them, at least where I live. I am glad I took the plunge on the PS500, and found the info in the Grado threads very helpful indeed.post #21 of 447/10/12 at 8:38amQuote:Originally Posted by desertblues
I have recently bought my first Grado, the PS500, after much contemplation and perusing the forums. The PS500 is simply magical imho, the best I have heard. My experience is with Sennheiser 600 & HD598, ATH M50, AKG Q701, V-Moda M80, various iems like UE & Shure, etc. All of them have their strengths, to my ears the HD598 & Q701 are quite good and the V-Moda is a fine portable-but they all pale in comparison to the PS500! I think Stacker45 and most of the other Grado fans are giving a very accurate picture of the different Grado cans. By the way, I have never seen a sale on Grados and found it almost impossible to demo them, at least where I live. I am glad I took the plunge on the PS500, and found the info in the Grado threads very helpful indeed.
You made a great choice for a first Grado! Like you, I find enjoyment in many different types of headphones, but the PS500s are my overall favorite.post #22 of 447/10/12 at 8:41amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by stacker45
I have heard alot of them,aside from the Alessandro series,the PS-1 and the HF series,it would take to long to write about all of the ones i did hear,so let me just say this.
I believe that the SR80i and the PS500 are the two best buys among Grado's current models,also i think that when you get to a certain price point,say around $500,the word ''better'' should be replaced by the word ''different'',you might prefer the PS500,to the $100 more expensive RS1i,simply because they sound so different and might be more you're cup of tea.
Also,for me,the SR325 and the PS500 represent the two extremes of the current lineup,of course the 325 beeing more treble oriented and ''in you're face'' and the PS500,more bass oriented,with more ''polite'' highs`.
And last,but certainly not least,a few days ago,after listening to a well recorded cd with my PS1000,i compared them with my SR80i and was shocked at how much of the lion's share i got with the SR80i,and to me this says a lot for the them,talk about a no brainer.
Hope this helps.
In your opinion, what does
the 80is provide that the 60is do not?
Edited by whirlwind - 7/11/12 at 1:57pmpost #23 of 447/12/12 at 1:36pmThread Starterpost #24 of 447/12/12 at 10:18pmpost #25 of 447/13/12 at 4:42amQuote:
The bowl pads used to be the major difference between SR60 and SR80. Now both of them come with comfies, I am not sure if 80i is worth the extra money anymore.post #26 of 447/13/12 at 2:00pmThread Starterpost #27 of 447/13/12 at 3:19pmQuote:
SR80 is supposed to be a higher model but changing the ear pads makes a bigger difference than moving from SR60 to SR80.
Of course you can always buy both pairs and wear one on top of the other. I have seen people do things like that before.post #28 of 447/13/12 at 3:39pmpost #29 of 447/17/12 at 10:04pmQuote:
Lol that's the silliest Grado thing I've ever heard :P, way to listen to them.
I did listen to mine backwards, one cup DJ-style, as desktop speakers, all sorts of pads, tape everywhere... but never TWO Grado headphones sandwiched over the other playing back simultaneously, haha.
PS1000 on top of a PS1000, double the sound quality, the best headphone in the world reveals itself to be a combination of twice the same headphone, and you can only do it with Grado.
I'm going to sandwich my HP2i when I receive it with my vintage RS-1, it'll be an interesting recipe!
I have no experience with modern Grados. Although I've owned 9 of them, my SR325i (purchased in 2005) is my most recent model... which I like very much :P, with tape around the bowls it's bassy and not harsh at all.
The very general consensus is that they all sound the same... and that if you want a surprise or a different sound you need to seek for the older vintages, and from there it seems like a box of chocolate (you don't know what you're going to get! --Forest Gump)
The less general consensus is that PS500 has more bass (like the HF2) but less high, which make it uniquer than even the HF-2. Many people love it because its balance is closer to neutral, but it strays too much from the usual Grado sound for some people. Then you have the GS1000i and the GS1000i on steroid the PS1000, and then you have a continuum of increasing refinements from the SR60i to the RS1i, and I don't know anything about the iGrado and IEMs.
MS1i is the most popular Alessandro, which are in general less aggressive than Grados.
All Grados of a given model always sound different next to another, that's the usual Grado variance, beware of it when you read someone's impression.
Edited by devouringone3 - 7/18/12 at 11:32ampost #30 of 447/17/12 at 11:07pmQuote:
It's like a Grado PS1000 SLI rig. I can see it now... better investment would be Dual RS1i's for $1400 instead of a single PS1000 for $1700.
- Question For All "GradoHolics"
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by... 2 seconds ago
- › FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth! 53 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 54 seconds ago
- › Headphones Recommendation 55 seconds ago
- › Cayin iDAC-6 - Review tour (USA only for now), impressions, discussion 1 minute ago
- › NEW! Fostex TH610 Premium Reference Closed-Back Headphones 1 minute ago
- › ☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ Liquid Carbon Final Production Run! 1 minute ago
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 2 minutes ago
- › Converting tracks by sampling rate or bit rate, questions please. 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by cleg
- › Final F7200 by Takeanidea
- › Denon Music Maniac In-Ear Headphones (AH-C250) by redeyeguy
- › RHA T20 by RaoulRutnam
- › ampsandsound Agartha Single-Ended Amplifier by Dillan
- › audio-technica ATH-A550Z Art-Monitor Headphones by rickyday
- › Advanced Sound by gprs007
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...