And I think you will be very happy with the Ultrasone's performance for that price...imo.
- productAKG K 550tagged by System, 7/14/12
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 7/14/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 7/14/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/10/12
- productIncase Sonic Headphonestagged by System, 7/14/12
- productJVC HAFXC51B New Micro HD in-Ear Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 7/10/12
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 7/14/12
- productUltrasone HFI-780tagged by System, 7/10/12
- productUltrasone PRO 550tagged by System, 7/14/12
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones Newspaper Article (ATH-M50 vs. Beats Studio) Last post on 9/18/12 at 8:22pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Anything better than ATH-M50 for $120? Last post on 10/16/12 at 6:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need suggestions: headphones for gaming/movies Last post on 9/14/12 at 4:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for Headphones with Style and Substance Last post on 9/9/12 at 8:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Before I get into my review, some disclosure: I received a free loaner unit as part of a mini North American tour, set up and sponsored by @EmpJ of CTC Audio. I got to keep the unit for a...
First off, I want to thank Brainwavz and Audrey for this BLU-100 unit. Packaging and Accessories I received the BLU-100 before its release and it came in the Brainwavz iem case without...
These have been the best headphones I have used for $99. For the few weeks they worked, it was amazing. Unfortunately, after a few weeks, the right earcup detached from the headband. They seem to...
It was a long time since I orignally intended to write this review as I wanted to check black Velvet in addition to the Crystal velvet I've had. You can find a lot of impression on Head-fi...
The ATH-CK9’s were purchased by me and I’m not in any way affiliated with Audio-Technica. Built and accessories: The ATH-CKR9 is a dual dynamic IEM featuring two 13mm drivers. The drivers are...
Looking for good all around over ear headphones for PS3 gaming and listening to music - Page 2post #16 of 247/10/12 at 5:14pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 247/11/12 at 9:30amThread Starter
I updated my post on the main Recommendations thread, figured I should have maybe posted there in the first place. I put some more detail into what I'm looking for since I have a better understanding of what I want now. If anybody is still looking at this thread feel free to take a look at what I've written up now if have more suggestions.
I originally started my own thread, but after finding this, I decided to post my needs here, especially since looking some of my preferences and priorities have changed. I will try to list out everything I am looking for, as well as the priority or emphasis I place on each category.
In order of priority:
1. Price- ($75-$100) Im a college student on a tight budget. I can't afford to splurge on entry level hi fi headphones. I have only very recently begun looking into some quality headphones after breaking numerous sets of in ear buds, and deciding I want something with a good build and better sound quality than I have experienced. I am willing to go slightly above or slightly below this range if something cheaper has just great quality for the price, or if something more expensive has a big boost in quality for the price increase. However I will definitely be more reluctant to spend more than $100.
2. Music Genres- I listen to a good mix of Electronic, Indie Rock, Alternative, Dub Step (when I'm in the mood), and Hip Hop every now and then. I like bass. I realize that for many of you that is not a top priority, but I don't want to get a pair and be disappointed by the level of bass. At the same time I don't want something like beats or skullcandies that are gonna cause brain damage from small magnitude earthquakes in my ears.
3. Comfort- This only comes slightly after the other 2 categories. I want something that I can where for extended periods of time without feeling uncomfortable and needing to take off.
4. Closed/Open- Being inexperienced I'm not very knowledgeable about which I would prefer. I think I would prefer the noise isolation of the closed style, as well as the generalization of a punchier bass, but I am open to both options.
5. Portability/Listening Mode- I would like something to be decently portable, just to the point that I could possibly fold it up in a case and put in my bookbag to take to campus. Maybe walk around with them and listen to my phone or something, but for the most part I plan on using this at home, with my computer, PS Vita, phone, and possibly my PS3. If I can find something with inline mic and volume control that would be a plus, but not a necessity.
6. Style- Hey if there is something out there that has all of this things that looks sleek and stylish thats fantastic. If not, no biggie. Although I don't see myself placing too much emphasis on this, I suppose there may be something ugly enough to prevent me from buying it. (For instance I can get some great looking Incase Sonic's for $80 with discount and promo code PASSON20, but I feel like I may be trading quality for looks, and that I would be disappointed with the bass)
7. Amped- I dont want to deal with this. I want something that sounds good out of the box.
Products I have looked at so far include:
- ATH M-50: Like I said, I just can't justify the price right now.
- Ultrasone HFI 580: Have seen issues with comfort level for some people, and this is a huge downside for me
- Incase Sonic: Mostly just look really cool and they are having a big sale on the website right now, but again I dont wan't to sacrifice sound quality
- Sony MDR V6: I've heard this is a solid set that has been around for years. Idk if I will be satisfied with it though being an older product.
- Shure SRH840: Again, just a little pricey.
I have made this as detailed as I possibly can, to try and cover all my bases. Im really hoping some of you out there who have experience with a wide variety of headphones can make suggestion for me. I'm an extremely spending conscious individual, and when I buy electronics I tend to research the hell out of of before I make a purchase. Please help me move beyond my indecision so I can move on with my life and start listening!post #18 of 247/11/12 at 11:28ampost #19 of 247/11/12 at 11:30amThread Starterpost #20 of 247/11/12 at 11:36am
And believe me, they have BASS. You don't need an amp. They are comfortable. They are like, 80 bucks on Amazon. They are highly portable. They have good sound isolation. And boy, are they stylish. I think they would be an excellent choice.post #21 of 247/11/12 at 12:30pmpost #22 of 247/11/12 at 7:09pmQuote:
For my ears, they go completely around my ears. HOWEVER, the pads sit somewhat on my ears, but only on the inner lip of the pads. Still, a very comfortable fit and seal.post #23 of 247/12/12 at 1:39pmThread Starter
Thanks to everyone who provided me with suggestions and food for thought. I actually ended up going with the Ultrasone HFI 580s which I found on Amazon for $120. Im really looking forward to getting those in and seeing what this hi fi headphone thing is all about.
On a somewhat unrelated note, I signed up for Amazon Prime for a free 6 month trial for college students. Along with the streaming video service which is great, you also get free 2 day shipping on everything. Of course in all my excitement to order the headphones, I forgot about the free 2 day and just had them shipped standard 3-5 business day...FAIL ME!
- Looking for good all around over ear headphones for PS3 gaming and listening to music
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post... 12 seconds ago
- › KOSS ESP-950 Thread 1 minute ago
- › Orthodynamic Roundup 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › Rank the Headphones that You Own. 2 minutes ago
- › Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792, BTL Amplication Circuit, 24/192,... 3 minutes ago
- › Cambridge Audio DacMagic XS 3 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Review 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by hakushondaimao
- › Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth IEMs by kova4a
- › Grado Labs SR80e by SeraphSolus
- › EarSonics Velvet by LMka
- › Audio-Technica In-Ear Headphones ATH-CKR9 (Japan Import) by peter123
- › Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 Studio - Headphones ( in-ear ear-bud ) -... by Lewzke
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by chowmein83
- › Alclair Curve by Brooko
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by wofsie
- › Etymotic Research HF5 Portable In-Ear Earphones by Chiek
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2