Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Audio GD SA-31 head amp/ preamp . A powerfull Head Amp with Diamond Difference design .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio GD SA-31 head amp/ preamp . A powerfull Head Amp with Diamond Difference design . - Page 10

post #136 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Sounds exactly like before. No perceived difference in noise, etc. As amazing in clarity, dynamics, and punch as before, just with a lot more volume to play with.
I just really hate the 3DS for being so pathetic in source volume. Running ampless, even the KSC35 is barely at moderate volumes with the 3DS maxed out. That's ridiculous. I'd probably need the SA-31 at like 30db to get the DT990/600 'LOUD' off it. Screw that. I'll preserve my sanity and SA-31. The 3DS is KSC35 only, I guess, unless I get the Pro 900 again. I may do that, depending on if I like the HD650 or not.

Why would you want Hifi headphones for 8 bits sound anyway? :p

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #137 of 389
Hey, it still sounds great. tongue.gif

In the end, I took the resistors off. I decided to just stick to the KSC35 for portable use.
post #138 of 389

Just sent in my SA-31 order today. I'll be pairing it with the matching SA-1 dac. Looking forward to hearing it in action with my HE-6.

 

I'm hoping for a noticeable upgrade over my old NFB-10.

post #139 of 389
Would you guys recommend the Sa-31 for the LCD-2?
post #140 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by AManAnd88Keys View Post

Would you guys recommend the Sa-31 for the LCD-2?

 

It's relatively neutral sounding with two levels of jumper settings to add warmth. More than enough power for any headphone (normal listening volume on my HE-6 is around 25/79 on high gain) plus it also works with sensitive iems. My old NFB-10 was a common budget recommendation for the LCD-2 and I find the SA-1/SA-31 stack to be a decent improvement if you like darker, more 3-D sound.  

 

The D18 is a bit brighter then my SA-1, so the D18/SA-31 pairing should work for the darker LCD-2.

post #141 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2151 View Post

 

It's relatively neutral sounding with two levels of jumper settings to add warmth. More than enough power for any headphone (normal listening volume on my HE-6 is around 25/79 on high gain) plus it also works with sensitive iems. My old NFB-10 was a common budget recommendation for the LCD-2 and I find the SA-1/SA-31 stack to be a decent improvement if you like darker, more 3-D sound.  

 

The D18 is a bit brighter then my SA-1, so the D18/SA-31 pairing should work for the darker LCD-2.


That's a very helpful answer, thank you! I am going to order the SA-31 soon, there's no doubt about it. I guess the sound will be a bit darker than neutral, but that's not a problem. I find synergy, tone and all that much more important than neutrality, as I leave that to studio engineers.

post #142 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by AManAnd88Keys View Post


That's a very helpful answer, thank you! I am going to order the SA-31 soon, there's no doubt about it. I guess the sound will be a bit darker than neutral, but that's not a problem. I find synergy, tone and all that much more important than neutrality, as I leave that to studio engineers.

 

If you want to splurge, the Apex Arete might be a better match for the LCD-2 (better dynamics with a bit smaller soundstage). However, it's also $900 new with a matching $700 power supply and does not pair well with high sensitivity headphones (I get hiss on my Grados and Audio Technicas). The SA-31 on the other hand even pairs well with IEMs. 

post #143 of 389

I don't get how a $900 amp can have any hiss, regardless of sensitivity. Zero noise should be the first priority IMO.

post #144 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post

I don't get how a $900 amp can have any hiss, regardless of sensitivity. Zero noise should be the first priority IMO.

 

The volume range is a little limited. My HD 800 listening volume is between 9 o'clock and 11 o'clock on the dial. Anything beyond that is good for 600 ohm headphones and orthos, but there's not quite enough power for the HE-6. However, it has very, very good detail retrieval and dynamics. The Arete/SA-1 combo is one of the best solid state pairings I've heard for the HD 800.

post #145 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2151 View Post

 

If you want to splurge, the Apex Arete might be a better match for the LCD-2 (better dynamics with a bit smaller soundstage). However, it's also $900 new with a matching $700 power supply and does not pair well with high sensitivity headphones (I get hiss on my Grados and Audio Technicas). The SA-31 on the other hand even pairs well with IEMs. 

 

Do you think the SA-1/SA-31 meshes well with the Audio Technica house sound?  I'm planning on rebuilding my setup from scratch in the next few months and recently purchased an Audio Technica A900X to get a taste for the AT sound since I've never heard any before and I already am liking the basic sound signature more than my previous "flagships" (T1, HE-6, and LCD-2) and this is just running out of a laptop onboard sound.  I'll probably also upgrade to either the W3000ANV or the recently released AD2000X.

 

I will say that I think I'm beginning to lean more towards detailed musicality vs absolute neutrality given my newfound liking of the AT sound.

 

I noticed you only still have the AD1000PRM but would you consider it more synergistic with the SA combo or with ACSS such as the NFB-10?  Also looking at the Reference 10 all-in-one as well but it's ACSS thoughout.


Edited by JWahl - 11/22/12 at 7:54pm
post #146 of 389

For AD1000PRM, I prefer the SA-31/SA-1 stack. The NFB-10 has a wider soundstage left to right, but the SA combo has more depth and a bit more bass quantity and extension. The -2 db treble rolloff on the SA-1 also helps a bit. 

 

Another minor advantage that the Audio GD separates have is that the dacs have high/low gain switch that adjusts the output voltage. It's really useful for iems and sensitive headphones since it gives you a bigger usable range on the volume control.

post #147 of 389

That's what I was hoping to hear smily_headphones1.gif  The SA-31/SA-2 combo is also very tempting, although an aesthetic mismatch.  Maybe they will eventually make a full size SA amp?  I'd be scared for my wallet though. I still think an SA all-in-one would be a good compromise.  I'm thinking the SA-2 would provide an even blacker background for the higher efficiency phones like the AT's

 

I like the fact the King-Wa chose to model the diamond differential after Accuphase.  Although I don't have a lot of personal experience with their equipment, I once got a chance to listen to a setup consisting of Stax SR-007 mk1,  Blue Hawaii amp, and Accuphase DP-75 cd player.  Simply sublime combo...

post #148 of 389

Hello,

Do you think audio-gd sa 31 will match well with AKG K 701 ?

Thanks

post #149 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by elipson73 View Post

Hello,

Do you think audio-gd sa 31 will match well with AKG K 701 ?

Thanks

musical sound, lots of current and voltage, yes - in my uneducated opinion (having heard neither)

post #150 of 389
Absolutely. The AKGs should sing off the SA-31. The AKGs were brilliant off the NFB5, and the SA-31 is much more powerful, so I expect even better performance.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 12/7/12 at 2:42am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Audio GD SA-31 head amp/ preamp . A powerfull Head Amp with Diamond Difference design .