Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Should I find a better copy or what?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I find a better copy or what?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Hello all,

 

I've been doing some reading here and there on Jazz masterpiece "Kind of Blue" from Miles Davis.  I do have a CD copy that I purchased from a local Wal-Mart years ago.  I have heard that the Legacy Edition is better in quality, and wanted to know if I should go ahead and grab that edition off of Amazon.

 

Here is the Legacy Edition - http://www.amazon.com/Kind-Blue-Legacy-Miles-Davis/dp/B001KL3GZO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8

 

The one I have is numbered CK 64935 and it has both the Columbia and Legacy on the side and back covers.  Is there a huge difference in quality?  I know the Legacy Edition does feature an enormous pack of bonus material, which mine does not have.

 

Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated!

 

 

Destroysall

post #2 of 13
Kind of Blue is an album that seems to attract fetishists. The differences aren't that great. Instead of buying another copy of the same album, go out and get Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section instead. You'll be much happier.
post #3 of 13

It looks to me like it isn't a higher fidelity release or remastering, I think they just added the false starts and such, left off the original release. 

 

quote -

 Kind of Blue (Legacy Edition) offers the complete studio sessions on 2 CDs, including false starts, alternate takes and a 17-minute 1960 live version of "So What."

 

So if that material interests you.....

post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post

Kind of Blue is an album that seems to attract fetishists. The differences aren't that great. Instead of buying another copy of the same album, go out and get Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section instead. You'll be much happier.

Lol, I know 'So What' is as a popular track/song from Davis.  However, I am more of a 'Blue In Green' fan. :)  What made me curious was that in this thread, Head-Fi Contributor LFF recommends the 'Legacy Edition'.  He states that this edition has "FULL dynamic range of the album with minimal processing."  I was just curious if it was sonically different than the version that I currently own.

 

Also, thanks for the recommendation of Art Pepper.  I have not heard the album before, but doing some quick preview listening on iTunes, and it sounds great!  I might just take you up on that recommendation and go for it instead! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie View Post

It looks to me like it isn't a higher fidelity release or remastering, I think they just added the false starts and such, left off the original release. 

 

quote -

 Kind of Blue (Legacy Edition) offers the complete studio sessions on 2 CDs, including false starts, alternate takes and a 17-minute 1960 live version of "So What."

 

So if that material interests you.....

I really just wanted to know if there was a better release of the album that was worth grabbing.  I am indeed happy with mine, but I wouldn't mind going for a better remaster.

 

I am also wondering if there is a 24-Bit version of the album out there?
 

post #5 of 13

I seem to recall that there was a re-issue that corrected an error in tape speed that exists in some original releases. 

post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeEast View Post

I seem to recall that there was a re-issue that corrected an error in tape speed that exists in some original releases. 


Wouldn't that be 'Legacy Edition' then?

post #7 of 13

From a quick google search it looks like the revised version was done in '92. I'm guessing that the version you have, if bought recently, probably has had the speed correction.

post #8 of 13
Different remasters have different reputations. LFF keeps up with this stuff as part of his career, so I'd take his word on which version to get. More importantly, compare the two versions and see if the difference is worth it to you. Sensitivity to dynamic range compression varies based on your preferences and how loud you listen.
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by anetode View Post

Different remasters have different reputations. LFF keeps up with this stuff as part of his career, so I'd take his word on which version to get. More importantly, compare the two versions and see if the difference is worth it to you. Sensitivity to dynamic range compression varies based on your preferences and how loud you listen.


I see.  Thanks very much.  I think I'll grab it and do a comparison then.  Thanks so much again!

post #10 of 13

The 2 CD legacy edition is what you want. It's not compressed and uses better EQ than all previous releases.

 

Aside from finding the original Japan release on SACD, this is the next best thing and it's a whole lot cheaper too.
 

post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF View Post

The 2 CD legacy edition is what you want. It's not compressed and uses better EQ than all previous releases.

 

Aside from finding the original Japan release on SACD, this is the next best thing and it's a whole lot cheaper too.
 


Thanks a whole lot for the confirmation, LFF.  I'm definitely going to grab the Legacy Edition!  :)  I must ask something though.  I have seen people mention SACD, and can only think they mean Super-Audio CD.  Are SACD's in 24-bit resolution?

post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroysall View Post


Thanks a whole lot for the confirmation, LFF.  I'm definitely going to grab the Legacy Edition!  :)  I must ask something though.  I have seen people mention SACD, and can only think they mean Super-Audio CD.  Are SACD's in 24-bit resolution?


Most of them are in 24 bit. The Japan Super Audio Compact Disc (SACD) I believe is in 24\88.2 but it's expensive.

 

Get the Legacy Edition for now.

post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF View Post


Most of them are in 24 bit. The Japan Super Audio Compact Disc (SACD) I believe is in 24\88.2 but it's expensive.

 

Get the Legacy Edition for now.

Thanks, and yea, I'll just grab the Legacy Edition.  Thanks much, LFF!! :D

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Should I find a better copy or what?