How big is the improvement over the Fiio E7?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 7/11/12
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 7/11/12
- productFiiO E17tagged by System, 7/11/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/11/12
- productJDS Labs c421 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 7/11/12
Related Forum Threads
- Which Portable Amp do you think is better!! Last post on 7/9/12 at 10:20am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable amp for AKG 701 Quincy Adams: Last post on 6/15/12 at 12:04pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Suggest a good amp/dac for a pair of AKG Q701's? Last post on 8/8/14 at 7:55am in Portable Headphone Amps
- AKG Q701 questions? Last post on 10/15/15 at 10:50am in Headphones (full-size)
- Fiio E7 vs iBasso T5 vs More Last post on 6/21/12 at 1:20pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
To begin with, I would like to thank iFi for making this great tour and allowing some of us to test this product. I've been enjoying my original micro iDSD since January 2015 and it is really a...
-- **This review is a sample portion from the full thread: Meet the Puresounds Earbud Family.** **All photos are taken by me.** **Disclaimer - I was provided the Puresounds...
There comes a time you're bored from your audio gear. You don't have a grand or two for a new set of ultra high end headphones to give you that fresh kick, and electronics costing as much as your...
MY GOD!!! I have just received my headphones! I have been putting them through there initial paces straight from the box, after just 30 mins I have had to come here to let you know my experience so...
At the time this review was written, the Oriveti NEW Primacy was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Fiio E17 Review - Page 2post #16 of 438/18/12 at 10:18pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 438/22/12 at 5:19pm
Hey guys. Don't diss me for this, but this thing is ridiculously powerful when paired with my MDR XB1000's. THIS ONE SICK MOFO!!!!
It's the first mobile amp that is able to clip my cans hitting an ungodly 20Htz drop by the UKF Con.DJ Mix.
I'm tickled with the amp.
Now i'm looking for a pair of headphones with a sound stage equal to that of my MDR XB1000's but can handle more power with less chance of clipping...
Could someone redirect me to a forum for this please. Much would be appreciated.
~Usagi~post #18 of 438/22/12 at 5:22pm
GREATLY!!!!! Its sound stage is wider with clean highs, driven mids, and lows that'll rattle your brain.
Edited by usagi-pire - 8/24/12 at 6:12pmpost #19 of 438/31/12 at 12:09am
I got the E17 last week and I've been evaluating it with my computers as a DAC and my ipod touch as a headphone amp. Overall I'm impressed with the payback quality, particually with 16bit 44.1 FLAC and Apple lossless files however I have some concerns with playing hi res audio files such as 48 and 96Khz 24 bit audio. First, when I set the bit depth and frequency using MS Windows 7 such as when I was playing back a 48khz 24bit audio file, the E17 indicated that it was receiving a 48khz 16bit audio signal from the USB port. I tried downloading and installing the Fiio ASIO beta driver V01 but it didn't fix the problem. Has anybody had this problem and if so is there a fix for this. Also I'm hearing clicks and pops when playing back using Monkeymedia 4.0.3. Any suggestions will be qreatly appreciated.post #20 of 438/31/12 at 8:27amQuote:Originally Posted by airman
I got the E17 last week and I've been evaluating it with my computers as a DAC and my ipod touch as a headphone amp. Overall I'm impressed with the payback quality, particually with 16bit 44.1 FLAC and Apple lossless files however I have some concerns with playing hi res audio files such as 48 and 96Khz 24 bit audio. First, when I set the bit depth and frequency using MS Windows 7 such as when I was playing back a 48khz 24bit audio file, the E17 indicated that it was receiving a 48khz 16bit audio signal from the USB port. I tried downloading and installing the Fiio ASIO beta driver V01 but it didn't fix the problem. Has anybody had this problem and if so is there a fix for this. Also I'm hearing clicks and pops when playing back using Monkeymedia 4.0.3. Any suggestions will be qreatly appreciated.
It's worth buying a cheap Xonar and feeding the E17 over S/PDIF optical
That way you get the Xonar realtime equaliser and Dolby Headphone effects (which are invaluable for gaming and movies) as well as up to 192KHz 24-bit quality and probably better clock timing etc. than USBpost #21 of 4310/20/12 at 2:32pm
Hey guys, ive been thinking about getting this DAC/Amp for a while now.
The thing is, since my phone is not usb otg enabled, does that mean I can only use the amp and not the dac?
Im pretty new and obviously confused.post #22 of 4310/20/12 at 9:12pmQuote:
yes, but the amp section of this is good enough to justify purchasing it to be used entirely as an amp.post #23 of 4310/20/12 at 11:32pmQuote:yes, but the amp section of this is good enough to justify purchasing it to be used entirely as an amp.
thanks for the repy to help a newbie.
since my source, is basically my phone, do u think its more beneficial if i get a seperate DAP to match the e17?
im debating among the rocoo P/BA, the Samsung Galaxy players, and the HF-601 Slim/602.
Or should i just get an iPod of somesort and be done with the whole amp/dac problem, since the LODs are easy to get.
If so, which iPod model?
Thanks again guys, so much help to me!
Cheers!post #24 of 4310/20/12 at 11:44pmNo, the ipod will work fine. Depending on what you're driving, you may not even need the amp, the ipod might work fine by itself.
Edit: just realized you said phone. Depends, what kind of phone do you have?
Edited by yepimonfire - 10/20/12 at 11:45pmpost #25 of 4310/21/12 at 6:19amThread Starterpost #26 of 4310/21/12 at 8:44pmQuote:Quote:
well as of right now i have a regular android phone and the sound quality is pretty bad.
i just got my audiofly af78 and i want to get something that can really bring out the sound using these IEM.
if i got the ipod classic, using the FiiO L9 LOD, i still wouldnt get to use the DAC of the E17, would I?
I had read that somewhere and i just want to make sure.
Thanks!post #27 of 4310/21/12 at 10:48pmThread Starterpost #28 of 4310/22/12 at 7:14pmQuote:Originally Posted by ed94582
Thanks. I figured it out. I was trying to increase the volume using the max volume setting vs just from the top menu -- duh.
Both the e17 and q701s are brand new so both need lots of burn in but so far sounds good just listening at old AAC files burned at 128 quality years ago via iTunes.
Hoping it will get better...
It won't until you get that 128 garbage replaced with higher quality (256 minimum).post #29 of 4310/22/12 at 7:47pmQuote:
128 AAC isn't THAT bad. it's comparable to 192 MP3. Not the best, but certainly usable. If you have the ability to re-rip them though i would.
- Fiio E17 Review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 1 second ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 4 seconds ago
- › Review: 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphone with In-line... 47 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 2 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 3 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear - Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC 4 minutes ago
- › IBasso Audio IT03 5 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by rafaelpernil
- › PureSounds PS100-600 by BloodyPenguin
- › Schiit Audio Vali 2 by DeeKay10
- › AKG K92 | Over Ear Closed Back Monitoring Headphone by SaturnVuk
- › ORIVETI NEW PRIMACY - Premium Triple Driver Hybrid HiFi IEM Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Accutone Gemini HD by crabdog
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › Cayin i5 by piksnz
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear