i fricken love my HD518's. ($130) they are VERY easy to drive, quite balanced, and fro the price, they are more than worth it. ive done several 7+ hour listening sessions, only prob is, they can get hot on your ears after the 3 hour mark. a burn in does help with these cans. very nice cans for the money.
Related Forum Threads
- Recommendations for first awesome pair of inexpensive headphones? Last post on 2/22/11 at 11:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help on deciding which headset to buy, between the ATH-AD700 vs the M50, and soundcard choice? Last post on 1/15/11 at 9:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Newbie here, looking to step it up and start listening Last post on 12/30/10 at 3:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking to get my first pair of decent headphones. Last post on 12/11/10 at 7:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Audio Technica M50 vs AD700 vs HD555 for 5.1DD\DTS movies Last post on 4/1/12 at 5:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Preamble: Hidizs Technology (http://www.hidizs.com/) is a Chinese audio manufacturer (mainly digital audio players) that established in early 2014 and is based in Dongguan, China....
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONA fair bit of this review may borrow sections from my U6 review. The reason for this is that a lot of...
Special thanks to Fiio for sponsoring this review unit for testing purposes Firmware installed : 1.2 Micro SD size used: 128GB C10 Sandisk Spec...
Advanced AcousticWerkes Q Earphone Review - Expatinjapan Head Pie Advanced AcousticWerkes Q earphone with the Hifiman MegaMini Dap Advanced AcousticWerkes Q...
First of all, fantastic sound. Not necessarily *non-biased*, but possesses smooth highs, fantastically defined mids, and rich, powerful, yet completely not overwhelming bass. I accidentally broke...
Best headphones for $100-$150? - Page 2post #16 of 257/28/12 at 6:25am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 257/28/12 at 7:39ampost #18 of 257/28/12 at 7:56amQuote:Originally Posted by UnluckyShot
If you can't find the FA-003, take a look at the Brainwavz HM5. It is literally the same headphone. Just a re-brand. I know I know, I feel bad buying re-brands too, but it's really Fischer's fault at this point.
Of course! No problem. :) And yes, AKG's site is pretty dang jacked. If you want to find a specific headphone from them you're better off googling them. :P
These, the Brainwavs, the Lindy Premium Hi-Fi, the Fischer's, and some headphones by this company called SoundMagic are all actually the Yoga-CD880, which is a model by a Taiwanese OEM. They're pretty much the same in every regard, just different pricing.post #19 of 257/29/12 at 8:48amQuote:Originally Posted by CashNotCredit
These, the Brainwavs, the Lindy Premium Hi-Fi, the Fischer's, and some headphones by this company called SoundMagic are all actually the Yoga-CD880, which is a model by a Taiwanese OEM. They're pretty much the same in every regard, just different pricing.
This brought me to a more general question. When talking about OEM's, are they usually just the same in quality as with the manufacturer itself? I mean are OEM cheap because they are inferior? Here in my country, a lot of people are selling oem products although i never bought any before.post #20 of 257/29/12 at 9:42am
ote:Originally Posted by countolaf
This brought me to a more general question. When talking about OEM's, are they usually just the same in quality as with the manufacturer itself? I mean are OEM cheap because they are inferior? Here in my country, a lot of people are selling oem products although i never bought any before.
There can be differences. The Jaycar, for example, only comes with one cable and one extra set of earpads. The Fischer has two, and two extra sets of pads. The big companies sometimes have better support/warranties. A lot of "OEM" products aren't even OEM products!
OEM products are cheap because there is little marketing and support.post #21 of 257/29/12 at 10:39amQuote:definitly the Ultrasone 580's. Known to be MUCH better than the m50 and any other headphone under $150 easily. just look at reviews.
or the HFI-680. I would take the HFI-680 over HD558/598.
post #22 of 258/20/12 at 7:48pmThread Starterpost #23 of 258/28/12 at 6:27pmThread Starter
The headphones shipped today, and after a few hours of listening, I can say that these headphones are simply amazing. A few minutes into listening, I realized that they sound best with absolutely no equalizing. They're great with any genre, I've listened to rock, D&B, Psychill, Goa-Psy, classical, and so far it handles them all perfectly. If you are thinking of getting them for mobile use, only do so if you plan on getting a portable headphone amp, maybe the Fiio e5 or e6. I listened on my ipod for a few minutes, and it sounded... strange. Most of the sound was still there, but the 20-40 hz range was missing, and it sounded kind of tinny. Ipods just cant power high-impediance headphones like these (64 ohm). As for the build quality, most of it is built of rigid plastic, but the joints are made of a flexible metal (my guess is a high grade aluminum). They feel a lot more sturdy than my old JVC's, which broke because of the swivel joints. The headband is leather or pleather on top, and padding on the bottom. The cords are nice and thick, and go into their joints in the headphones with a good click. Unfortunately I can't keep listening, I have stuff to do, and its time to let them burn in.post #24 of 259/22/12 at 2:32pmQuote:
Excellent choice! I actually traded my HD558 for a pair of HM5s. The 558s just need too much power. I can't afford an amp for these things, and the open design bugged the crap out of my parents. lol. HM5 is a step up IMHO. Naturally neutral FTW! :D
- Best headphones for $100-$150?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Dita Audio Flagship - "The Dream" 25 seconds ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 46 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 58 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 1 minute ago
- › Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Lotoo's new product: Lotoo Paw Pico, a 27g ultra-portable music... 1 minute ago
- › Focal Elear in stock and a loaner program! 2 minutes ago
- › Show us your vintage headphones! 2 minutes ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 2 minutes ago
- › RHA MA750i by High-End-Addict
- › Hidizs AP60 HiFi Mini Bluetooth Lossless MP3 Portable Music Player... by HiFiChris
- › 64 Audio U10 by Brooko
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by noobandroid
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes Q by ExpatinJapan
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by Cinder
- › Remax RM-800MD by Zelda
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by killerline
- › Over Ear Headphone Shareme 4.1 Bluetooth Foldable Headsets with... by genclaymore
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by Brooko
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...