i fricken love my HD518's. ($130) they are VERY easy to drive, quite balanced, and fro the price, they are more than worth it. ive done several 7+ hour listening sessions, only prob is, they can get hot on your ears after the 3 hour mark. a burn in does help with these cans. very nice cans for the money.
Related Forum Threads
- Recommendations for first awesome pair of inexpensive headphones? Last post on 2/22/11 at 11:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help on deciding which headset to buy, between the ATH-AD700 vs the M50, and soundcard choice? Last post on 1/15/11 at 9:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Newbie here, looking to step it up and start listening Last post on 12/30/10 at 3:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking to get my first pair of decent headphones. Last post on 12/11/10 at 7:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Audio Technica M50 vs AD700 vs HD555 for 5.1DD\DTS movies Last post on 4/1/12 at 5:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Me: am an amateur musician & avid admirer of music from India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
I bought these on Geekbuying after a considerable price drop to about $16 USD. Having missed out on the hype for the Piston 2, I decided to pick up the Piston 3 instead. The other bang-for-buck IEM...
My WA5-LE is by far the most expensive component in my system, but I can see why. The moment I un-packaged this very heavy piece of kit, I could tell I was in for a ride. By size alone it...
INTRODUCTION Being a fan of the RHA MA750 (RHA's first flagship IEM), I was quite excited to hear when RHA released the T10i. The new stainless shells, novel "memory wire" implementation,...
Microsoft Lumia 435 Quick Review Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/773374/microsoft-lumia-435-review-by-mark2410 Brief: An insanely cheap wonder device. Price: £30 payg or...
Best headphones for $100-$150? - Page 2post #16 of 257/28/12 at 6:25am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 257/28/12 at 7:39ampost #18 of 257/28/12 at 7:56amQuote:Originally Posted by UnluckyShot
If you can't find the FA-003, take a look at the Brainwavz HM5. It is literally the same headphone. Just a re-brand. I know I know, I feel bad buying re-brands too, but it's really Fischer's fault at this point.
Of course! No problem. :) And yes, AKG's site is pretty dang jacked. If you want to find a specific headphone from them you're better off googling them. :P
These, the Brainwavs, the Lindy Premium Hi-Fi, the Fischer's, and some headphones by this company called SoundMagic are all actually the Yoga-CD880, which is a model by a Taiwanese OEM. They're pretty much the same in every regard, just different pricing.post #19 of 257/29/12 at 8:48amQuote:Originally Posted by CashNotCredit
These, the Brainwavs, the Lindy Premium Hi-Fi, the Fischer's, and some headphones by this company called SoundMagic are all actually the Yoga-CD880, which is a model by a Taiwanese OEM. They're pretty much the same in every regard, just different pricing.
This brought me to a more general question. When talking about OEM's, are they usually just the same in quality as with the manufacturer itself? I mean are OEM cheap because they are inferior? Here in my country, a lot of people are selling oem products although i never bought any before.post #20 of 257/29/12 at 9:42am
ote:Originally Posted by countolaf
This brought me to a more general question. When talking about OEM's, are they usually just the same in quality as with the manufacturer itself? I mean are OEM cheap because they are inferior? Here in my country, a lot of people are selling oem products although i never bought any before.
There can be differences. The Jaycar, for example, only comes with one cable and one extra set of earpads. The Fischer has two, and two extra sets of pads. The big companies sometimes have better support/warranties. A lot of "OEM" products aren't even OEM products!
OEM products are cheap because there is little marketing and support.post #21 of 257/29/12 at 10:39amQuote:definitly the Ultrasone 580's. Known to be MUCH better than the m50 and any other headphone under $150 easily. just look at reviews.
or the HFI-680. I would take the HFI-680 over HD558/598.
post #22 of 258/20/12 at 7:48pmThread Starterpost #23 of 258/28/12 at 6:27pmThread Starter
The headphones shipped today, and after a few hours of listening, I can say that these headphones are simply amazing. A few minutes into listening, I realized that they sound best with absolutely no equalizing. They're great with any genre, I've listened to rock, D&B, Psychill, Goa-Psy, classical, and so far it handles them all perfectly. If you are thinking of getting them for mobile use, only do so if you plan on getting a portable headphone amp, maybe the Fiio e5 or e6. I listened on my ipod for a few minutes, and it sounded... strange. Most of the sound was still there, but the 20-40 hz range was missing, and it sounded kind of tinny. Ipods just cant power high-impediance headphones like these (64 ohm). As for the build quality, most of it is built of rigid plastic, but the joints are made of a flexible metal (my guess is a high grade aluminum). They feel a lot more sturdy than my old JVC's, which broke because of the swivel joints. The headband is leather or pleather on top, and padding on the bottom. The cords are nice and thick, and go into their joints in the headphones with a good click. Unfortunately I can't keep listening, I have stuff to do, and its time to let them burn in.post #24 of 259/22/12 at 2:32pmQuote:
Excellent choice! I actually traded my HD558 for a pair of HM5s. The 558s just need too much power. I can't afford an amp for these things, and the open design bugged the crap out of my parents. lol. HM5 is a step up IMHO. Naturally neutral FTW! :D
- Best headphones for $100-$150?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Help planning my first sitting room hi-fi setup 57 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 2 minutes ago
- › KOSS ESP-950 Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A17 2 minutes ago
- › Recommendations Please :)! 3 minutes ago
- › Vintage Flex Fountain Pens BUY 1 GET 1 FREE 7 minutes ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 7 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 8 minutes ago
- › How many of you have tinnitus? 9 minutes ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 11 minutes ago
- › TCG Audio TRD3+ Desktop HeadAmp & 32/384DAC by YoYo JoKeR
- › Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 in-ear headphones by FYLegend
- › Woo Audio WA5 LE by Nosbig
- › RHA T20 by nmatheis
- › Microsoft Lumia 435 UNLOCKED Windows Phone 8 WP8 2G GSM... by mark2410
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Pokemonn
- › CustomArt Ei.3 acrylic custom IEM by Cotnijoe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by ActiveTechREV
- › Westone W50 Five Driver Universal Fit Noise Isolating Earphones, 78505 by twister6
- › MrSpeakers Ether Planar Magnetic Headphones by Currawong
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)