i fricken love my HD518's. ($130) they are VERY easy to drive, quite balanced, and fro the price, they are more than worth it. ive done several 7+ hour listening sessions, only prob is, they can get hot on your ears after the 3 hour mark. a burn in does help with these cans. very nice cans for the money.
Related Forum Threads
- Recommendations for first awesome pair of inexpensive headphones? Last post on 2/22/11 at 11:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help on deciding which headset to buy, between the ATH-AD700 vs the M50, and soundcard choice? Last post on 1/15/11 at 9:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Newbie here, looking to step it up and start listening Last post on 12/30/10 at 3:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking to get my first pair of decent headphones. Last post on 12/11/10 at 7:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Audio Technica M50 vs AD700 vs HD555 for 5.1DD\DTS movies Last post on 4/1/12 at 5:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Nuforce HEM4 – impressions and comparison with HEM2 After listening to the HEM2s recently courtesy of the Nuforce Massdrop, I managed to pick up a pair of the next model in their HEM series (the...
http://www.shozy-hk.com/zero-earphone/ Preamble: I was honored to receive an invitation to join in the Delta test of the pre-production Shozy Zero By NLNH around April 16th. I received...
Background: I am not an audiophile, I just like to enjoy music in good quality. This writing is more like a collection of subjective experience and impressions rather than a professional review....
These headphones need to be amped. If you choose to use them without doing so, they will sound weak and lifeless. The complaints I read about seem to me to be with people that haven't synergized...
For my taste are too analitical cans.I try to remove the high frequencies sibiling using several different tips...shure triple compy foam....nothing they remain too harsh for my tasty. I also...
Best headphones for $100-$150? - Page 2post #16 of 257/28/12 at 6:25am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 257/28/12 at 7:39ampost #18 of 257/28/12 at 7:56amQuote:Originally Posted by UnluckyShot
If you can't find the FA-003, take a look at the Brainwavz HM5. It is literally the same headphone. Just a re-brand. I know I know, I feel bad buying re-brands too, but it's really Fischer's fault at this point.
Of course! No problem. :) And yes, AKG's site is pretty dang jacked. If you want to find a specific headphone from them you're better off googling them. :P
These, the Brainwavs, the Lindy Premium Hi-Fi, the Fischer's, and some headphones by this company called SoundMagic are all actually the Yoga-CD880, which is a model by a Taiwanese OEM. They're pretty much the same in every regard, just different pricing.post #19 of 257/29/12 at 8:48amQuote:Originally Posted by CashNotCredit
These, the Brainwavs, the Lindy Premium Hi-Fi, the Fischer's, and some headphones by this company called SoundMagic are all actually the Yoga-CD880, which is a model by a Taiwanese OEM. They're pretty much the same in every regard, just different pricing.
This brought me to a more general question. When talking about OEM's, are they usually just the same in quality as with the manufacturer itself? I mean are OEM cheap because they are inferior? Here in my country, a lot of people are selling oem products although i never bought any before.post #20 of 257/29/12 at 9:42am
ote:Originally Posted by countolaf
This brought me to a more general question. When talking about OEM's, are they usually just the same in quality as with the manufacturer itself? I mean are OEM cheap because they are inferior? Here in my country, a lot of people are selling oem products although i never bought any before.
There can be differences. The Jaycar, for example, only comes with one cable and one extra set of earpads. The Fischer has two, and two extra sets of pads. The big companies sometimes have better support/warranties. A lot of "OEM" products aren't even OEM products!
OEM products are cheap because there is little marketing and support.post #21 of 257/29/12 at 10:39amQuote:definitly the Ultrasone 580's. Known to be MUCH better than the m50 and any other headphone under $150 easily. just look at reviews.
or the HFI-680. I would take the HFI-680 over HD558/598.
post #22 of 258/20/12 at 7:48pmThread Starterpost #23 of 258/28/12 at 6:27pmThread Starter
The headphones shipped today, and after a few hours of listening, I can say that these headphones are simply amazing. A few minutes into listening, I realized that they sound best with absolutely no equalizing. They're great with any genre, I've listened to rock, D&B, Psychill, Goa-Psy, classical, and so far it handles them all perfectly. If you are thinking of getting them for mobile use, only do so if you plan on getting a portable headphone amp, maybe the Fiio e5 or e6. I listened on my ipod for a few minutes, and it sounded... strange. Most of the sound was still there, but the 20-40 hz range was missing, and it sounded kind of tinny. Ipods just cant power high-impediance headphones like these (64 ohm). As for the build quality, most of it is built of rigid plastic, but the joints are made of a flexible metal (my guess is a high grade aluminum). They feel a lot more sturdy than my old JVC's, which broke because of the swivel joints. The headband is leather or pleather on top, and padding on the bottom. The cords are nice and thick, and go into their joints in the headphones with a good click. Unfortunately I can't keep listening, I have stuff to do, and its time to let them burn in.post #24 of 259/22/12 at 2:32pmQuote:
Excellent choice! I actually traded my HD558 for a pair of HM5s. The 558s just need too much power. I can't afford an amp for these things, and the open design bugged the crap out of my parents. lol. HM5 is a step up IMHO. Naturally neutral FTW! :D
- Best headphones for $100-$150?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Sysconcept IC Toslink-to-MiniPlug (AK to Mojo) 8 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › I did my own listening test...four formats...did I hear a difference? 3 minutes ago
- › Review on HtC 10 and Sound quality 4 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 5 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar... 7 minutes ago
- › Sonore microRendu Music Streamer impressions 9 minutes ago
- › JVC SU-AX7 - new portable headphone amp/dac 11 minutes ago
- › Shanling M2 DAP 12 minutes ago
- › New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris! 12 minutes ago
- › NuForce HEM4 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Dual... by Jackpot77
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by TwinACStacks
- › Fostex TH-X00 Massdrop exclusive by bestula
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by DJ Liquid
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by puccipaolo
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Aornic
- › oBravo EAMT-3w Hybrid Dynamic Driver and Heil Air Motion Transducer... by glassmonkey
- › T-PEOS RASIEL by faithguy19
- › OPPO PM-3 by T Bone
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by TravAndAlex
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...