Greetings everyone! I was hoping someone could recommend some custom IEM's. I've read a lot of the posts about them but most people are looking for recommendations for the high end IEM's. As much as I'd love a pair of JH13's for example, I just can't bring myself to spend over $1k. I was looking more into the under $600 range. I am fairly newbish at what to look at when it comes to specs so it's hard to decide. I listen to a lot of rock, some metal, anything from as i lay dying, metallica to 311, sublime, etc. Some hip-hop/rap, not really into jazz/classical. I like a bit more bass than the usual rock sound, I like a bit of the brights however I don't want to shatter my ears with the high hats. I've noticed highs can get a bit ear shattering at higher levels. I've looked into the multi review post about all the custom IEM that was posted here but there aren't many choices around my price range especially since a lot of those more expensive companies have lower priced models that are not reviewed there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
- product1964 Ears 1964-Q Quad Driver Custom IEMtagged by System, 7/10/12
- product1964-T triple driver custom IEMtagged by System, 7/10/12
- categoryCustom In Ear Monitorstagged by System, 7/10/12
- productDream Earz AUD-5Xtagged by System, 7/10/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/10/12
- productHeir Audio 4 Atagged by System, 7/10/12
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 7/10/12
- productJH Audio JH5 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by System, 7/10/12
- productUltimate Ears 400tagged by System, 7/10/12
Related Forum Threads
- Custom or Universal at ~$200~$400? Last post on 6/10/12 at 1:33am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Considering selling entire home rig for a cheap portable IEM (Maybe custom?) Last post on 7/1/12 at 7:27pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for first custom IEM, Heir Audio 4A or....? Last post on 10/3/13 at 6:54am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Custom IEM or Closed On Ear Last post on 8/17/12 at 6:46pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Overall Impressions This is a amazingly looking device, it does not matter how you look at it, it is simply a pleasure to look at. That is the first impact that one have once you look at it,...
The Pendulumic Stance S1 is an excellent "bluetooth" headphone. I'm sure there are better sounding "wireless" headphones and at some level believe the category should be divided into wireless and...
First of all, I'd like to thank Cayin for opportunity to review C5. As usual, main review is in Russian, here I'll share mt impressions in brief. There is not so many good portable amps in sub...
Ah, yes. The SE215, quite possibly the most popular entry-level IEM on the market at the moment, and for good reason. These headphones are perfect for any budding audio enthusiast thanks to its...
Shure has definitely outdone themselves with this wonderful product. Never have I experienced more clarity in a pair of IEMs. For someone who listens to alternative rock, pop, and an assorted array...
Help out with some custom IEM
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 87/8/12 at 7:43ampost #3 of 87/8/12 at 7:58amWhere you live can be a significant factor in which custom IEMs to recommend. Working with an overseas customs manufacturer can get you some really remarkable IEMs, but it can also mean a lot of added costs due to shipping your impressions there and the manufacturer shipping back, plus import duties. Not to mention the increased time that shipping takes.
Most manufacturers proide free or cheap remouldings for a limited time, if the first are faulty for some reason, but that means yet more waiting and expense on your part due to international shipping.
I live in the U.S. and am very happy with my 4.A customs, made by Heir Audio in China. The price is great -- under $500 for some IEMs of world-class fidelity -- but shipping and duties amounted to an additional $200 in costs. I will freely recommend Heir Audio to anybody considering customs, but always encourage people to keep these additional costs in mind while planning their budget.post #4 of 87/8/12 at 10:51am
I second that, if possible choose someone whose situated nearish to you. Time delays/international shipping really does add up. What might seem like a good price to start with can soon be eaten into if you have to start getting into new impressions, sending back etc etc.
Cheers.post #5 of 87/8/12 at 6:57pmThread Starter
Right on, thanks for the input. I wasn't really considering anything outside the US, I haven't even come across any reviews on international CIEMs. I've looked into UE 4, I think it was, which was around $400 also the jh5 and the Alien Ears CFE4 i think it was. Apparently there are a lot more options then I initially thought.post #6 of 87/8/12 at 11:35pm
Maybe take a look at 1964 ears T or Q. These are quite good from what I've read.
you can also check out a T.F 10 reshell with fischer audio as many have done and were quite happy with
I've also read somewhere that the Clear tune monitors CTM-200 is quite a steal.
And as mentioned above, there's the H.A 4post #7 of 87/9/12 at 5:20am
I've heard lots of great things about 1964Ears as well. I have the JH5 and despite being released years ago, they are still one of the best budget customs imo and I would not hesitate to recommend them.
There's also the Dream Earz (Audio Earz) Aud-5x that fits right in your budget and is within the US.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Help out with some custom IEM
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 32 seconds ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 2 minutes ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 2 minutes ago
- › New iem for a new guy ! 3 minutes ago
- › Yulong A28 4 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW sfwalcer's earphone comparo PG 1727.... 4 minutes ago
- › = Hifiman Regrilling Mod = 5 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 7 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamics T1 Amplification Thread 8 minutes ago
- › HELP - With FiiO E17 Problem 9 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-1 Headphone Amp by LeoTheAwesome
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)