Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Recommended around-ear headphones for Music/Gaming?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recommended around-ear headphones for Music/Gaming?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Hey everyone! smile.gif

 

As stated above I'm looking for a good pair of headphones for gaming/music. I've been looking at the AudioTechnica ATH-AD700 but I've been getting mixed messages. Everyone says they are amazing for location perception in games (perfect for FPS) But some say they're uncomfortable, or have weak bass... But for now they're my number one choice. 

 

I listen to all types of music, from Dubstep to Anthemic and Club to Classical. So a good, all around pair of cans is optimum. 

 

As for the games I play... Same story, all types. RPG, FPS, RTS.... I play 'em all! biggrin.gif

 

I would be running these off the integrated audio off my Asus Notebook. I'm planning on getting a USB sound card (Asus Xonar U3 maybe?) soon and if the headphones are cheap enough ($120 and under) I could buy them together.

 

My total budget is $150 MAX. $120 being the sweet spot.

 

Can anyone help me? blink.gif

post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky View Post

Hey everyone! smile.gif

 

As stated above I'm looking for a good pair of headphones for gaming/music. I've been looking at the AudioTechnica ATH-AD700 but I've been getting mixed messages. Everyone says they are amazing for location perception in games (perfect for FPS) But some say they're uncomfortable, or have weak bass... But for now they're my number one choice. 

 

I listen to all types of music, from Dubstep to Anthemic and Club to Classical. So a good, all around pair of cans is optimum. 

 

As for the games I play... Same story, all types. RPG, FPS, RTS.... I play 'em all! biggrin.gif

 

I would be running these off the integrated audio off my Asus Notebook. I'm planning on getting a USB sound card (Asus Xonar U3 maybe?) soon and if the headphones are cheap enough ($120 and under) I could buy them together.

 

My total budget is $150 MAX. $120 being the sweet spot.

 

Can anyone help me? blink.gif

To me the ATH-AD700s light bass is a turn off.

 

Asus Xonar U3 ($40)

Samson SR850 headphones ($50) with Velvet ear pads ($15).

post #3 of 12

I enjoy my V6, it's not to find them on sale. I got mine new for $60!

 

The MS-1 is a good all-rounder, but the comfort can be an issue to some. Really easy to drive as well.

post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 

Budget just got bumped to $200 and under.

 

 

 

*Bump* 

post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky View Post

Budget just got bumped to $200 and under.

On amazon, good prices on used Sennheiser HD558s

post #6 of 12

Well, at a bit more ($240 total) the AKG Q701s. Finally got some game time in with these. You hear everything, and they sound incredible. I highly recommend you check them out.

post #7 of 12

beyerdynamic tesla t1

post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
beyerdynamic tesla t1

 

I would love to get the Tesla's... unfortunately they're slightly out of my price range.


Edited by Unlucky - 7/7/12 at 8:50pm
post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbenn74 View Post

Well, at a bit more ($240 total) the AKG Q701s. Finally got some game time in with these. You hear everything, and they sound incredible. I highly recommend you check them out.

I was actually looking at these before you posted, and I'm planning on buying. biggrin.gif

 

One thing though. Would they be able to run well on the Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card and headphone amp?

post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky View Post

I was actually looking at these before you posted, and I'm planning on buying. biggrin.gif

 

One thing though. Would they be able to run well on the Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card and headphone amp?

Running mine on my ASUS soundcard. Perfect. Buy these headphones!

post #11 of 12

Unlucky here (wanted to change my username. :P) I found them on amazon for $165! :D http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Signature-Reference-Class-Premium-Headphones/dp/B004444OFK

 

Do you think I can trust a used pair from amazon warehouse?

post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky View Post

I was actually looking at these before you posted, and I'm planning on buying. biggrin.gif

 

One thing though. Would they be able to run well on the Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card and headphone amp?

The Asus Xonar U3 is a very low cost USB-DAC-Amp and may not really drive the Q701 well enough.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Recommended around-ear headphones for Music/Gaming?