I'm loving my M50s right now, but one thing that really bothers me is that a part of my ear gets sore after wearing it for around 30 minutes or longer from touching the driver area (usually depending on how I position it). If I get velour pads or another pair of leather pads for Shure or Beyer headphones, would they be wide enough so that my ears would stop touching the drivers?
Related Forum Threads
- Advice: Upgrading from ATH-M50 Last post on 9/7/12 at 11:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K550 vs. Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Last post on 1/12/15 at 4:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50 - Ear pad discomfort - Srh-840 and 940 replacements? ATH-M50 Velour part 2? Last post on 5/5/11 at 4:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser Momentum vs. Shure SRH 940 vs. Shure SRH840 vs. Sennheiser HD-518 vs. Beyerdynamic... Last post on 8/13/13 at 9:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- What's the best headphone for under 200? Last post on 3/8/13 at 9:20am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/6/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Intro Before I begin, I would like to sincerely thank Pandora at Brainwavz for providing the review sample of the Jive you see in this review. Please note that I am neither affiliated with...
Name- DUNU TITAN 1 Manufacturar- Dunu-topsound, a chinese company. Price- 115$, I got them for around 169SGD from Lend me ur ears, Singapore. Description- First, some note about me. I am a 25...
BEYERDYNAMIC iDX 160 iE INTRO If you're reading this you must be a Head-Fi member or just looking at reviews for a new pair of headphones or iem’s. Let me introduce myself, my name is Adam...
Table of Contents Introduction Features and Ergonomics Sound Quality With IEMS With full-size headphones Comparisons to other audio gear For whom is this player good...
Introduction: There seems to be quite a bit of discussion and disagreements regarding HIFIMAN’s (HFM) newest headphone, the HE400S. Some have praised the HE400S as being a giant slayer while other...
Earpads for ATH-M50post #1 of 107/7/12 at 2:26amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 107/7/12 at 2:59am
SRH940 velour pads are larger and thicker than the stock M50 ones. I'd recommend them over the DT250 pads. But although the replacement pads give increased comfort and room, they are probably still not going to completely prevent your ears from touching the driver lining.
The SRH940 pads do come with a softer driver lining material. So perhaps that will sit better against your ears. Another option is to use some cloth cut out from an old t-shirt as lining. Some have used that with their Grados to good effect.post #3 of 107/7/12 at 3:45am
As far as I know, nobody has yet found a suitable replacement for the ATH-M50 pads because they all change the sound a little bit. For this reason it is indeed probably the best idea to make some lining for the earcups using your preferred material, fe. cotton or velour.post #4 of 107/7/12 at 3:47am
You could stuff some cotton between the inside of the pads and the plastic grills. Cheap,easy to do, and easily reversible. If that doesn't work then buy some new pads. DT250 pads are more comfortable but they are actually smaller in diameter than the stock ones but also more "plump". And they also kill the isolation/leakage of the M50.post #5 of 107/8/12 at 10:19am
I had the same problem as you with the stock M50 earpads. I fixed this by simply put Shure SRH840 earpads on the M50. The Shure earpads are 100% compatible with the M50. They are much more comfortable since they are made of a softer material, and they are bigger for the ear. The sound is changed a very little bit but I think it's even better : the stock M50 are rather dark sounding, and with Shure SRH840 earpads, they open up, leading to a more vivid, balanced sound.post #6 of 107/8/12 at 11:04amThread Starter
I have been looking into the SRH940 and the SRH840 pads. The velour pads for the SRH940s seems to feel better, but the SRH840s seem to change the sound less due to similar materials. Would the velour pads do too much to the sound, or will it only be a small change not to significant?post #7 of 1011/28/12 at 2:34amQuote:Originally Posted by Sycho
I have been looking into the SRH940 and the SRH840 pads. The velour pads for the SRH940s seems to feel better, but the SRH840s seem to change the sound less due to similar materials. Would the velour pads do too much to the sound, or will it only be a small change not to significant?
Has anyone had experience with this? I am also in the market for a set of velour pads as my ears literally get red from using the stock pads. They are a couple years old and the pads are super thin and really cracked up.post #8 of 1012/4/12 at 2:49pmQuote:Originally Posted by Sycho
I have been looking into the SRH940 and the SRH840 pads. The velour pads for the SRH940s seems to feel better, but the SRH840s seem to change the sound less due to similar materials. Would the velour pads do too much to the sound, or will it only be a small change not to significant?Quote:
Same here. Can OP or anyone else give more details/testimony ?
I found exact replacements but would definitely use the opportunity to get something better.post #9 of 1012/4/12 at 3:05pm
- Earpads for ATH-M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Rumor: New Sennheiser Flagship to be surfaced ........ soon 23 seconds ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 1 minute ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 1 minute ago
- › How to choose considering sound fatigue? 2 minutes ago
- › Is there really such a thing as a non - colored headphone ( are the... 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › Post CanJam cynicism. 2 minutes ago
- › Fidue A73 - Hybrid (1DD + 1BA) IEM - Impressions and discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Sub-$200 Portable Amps Shootout – 13 (+11) amps compared 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz Jive by thatBeatsguy
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by areek
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by acain
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by chowmein83
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by Cotnijoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ClieOS
- › Shozy Lancea mini dac amplifier 24bit/192khz for Android/iOS/PC/iPhone by peter123
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by muxamed
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by Bansaku
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2