I'm loving my M50s right now, but one thing that really bothers me is that a part of my ear gets sore after wearing it for around 30 minutes or longer from touching the driver area (usually depending on how I position it). If I get velour pads or another pair of leather pads for Shure or Beyer headphones, would they be wide enough so that my ears would stop touching the drivers?
Related Forum Threads
- Advice: Upgrading from ATH-M50 Last post on 9/7/12 at 11:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K550 vs. Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Last post on 1/12/15 at 4:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50 - Ear pad discomfort - Srh-840 and 940 replacements? ATH-M50 Velour part 2? Last post on 5/5/11 at 4:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser Momentum vs. Shure SRH 940 vs. Shure SRH840 vs. Sennheiser HD-518 vs. Beyerdynamic... Last post on 8/13/13 at 9:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- What's the best headphone for under 200? Last post on 3/8/13 at 9:20am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I spent a week with the OPPO PM-3 through the head-fi loaner program, and got the chance to try them out on a variety of pieces. 99% of my headphone listening is classical music of one type or...
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTION Following the successful launch of the initial Trinity range on Kickstarter, Bob (Trinity's CEO and...
REVIEW: ifi Pro iCan Equipment used: Headphones: Sennheiser HD800S, Hifiman Edition X, Hifiman HE-560, AKG K7XX, Audeze LCD-2f, Sennheiser Momentum, HD-650, Oppo PM-2, PM-3, Aurisonics ASG...
Thank-you to Pandora of Brainwavz for supplying the Omega for review. Brainwavz has been around for a while now and this isn't my first encounter with one of their products. In 2011 I...
I picked this up second hand on ebay, more out of curiosity than anything. I'm just getting into listening with headphones and one of my amps doesn't have a headphone socket, so this seemed like as...
Earpads for ATH-M50post #1 of 107/7/12 at 2:26amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 107/7/12 at 2:59am
SRH940 velour pads are larger and thicker than the stock M50 ones. I'd recommend them over the DT250 pads. But although the replacement pads give increased comfort and room, they are probably still not going to completely prevent your ears from touching the driver lining.
The SRH940 pads do come with a softer driver lining material. So perhaps that will sit better against your ears. Another option is to use some cloth cut out from an old t-shirt as lining. Some have used that with their Grados to good effect.post #3 of 107/7/12 at 3:45am
As far as I know, nobody has yet found a suitable replacement for the ATH-M50 pads because they all change the sound a little bit. For this reason it is indeed probably the best idea to make some lining for the earcups using your preferred material, fe. cotton or velour.post #4 of 107/7/12 at 3:47am
You could stuff some cotton between the inside of the pads and the plastic grills. Cheap,easy to do, and easily reversible. If that doesn't work then buy some new pads. DT250 pads are more comfortable but they are actually smaller in diameter than the stock ones but also more "plump". And they also kill the isolation/leakage of the M50.post #5 of 107/8/12 at 10:19am
I had the same problem as you with the stock M50 earpads. I fixed this by simply put Shure SRH840 earpads on the M50. The Shure earpads are 100% compatible with the M50. They are much more comfortable since they are made of a softer material, and they are bigger for the ear. The sound is changed a very little bit but I think it's even better : the stock M50 are rather dark sounding, and with Shure SRH840 earpads, they open up, leading to a more vivid, balanced sound.post #6 of 107/8/12 at 11:04amThread Starter
I have been looking into the SRH940 and the SRH840 pads. The velour pads for the SRH940s seems to feel better, but the SRH840s seem to change the sound less due to similar materials. Would the velour pads do too much to the sound, or will it only be a small change not to significant?post #7 of 1011/28/12 at 2:34amQuote:Originally Posted by Sycho
I have been looking into the SRH940 and the SRH840 pads. The velour pads for the SRH940s seems to feel better, but the SRH840s seem to change the sound less due to similar materials. Would the velour pads do too much to the sound, or will it only be a small change not to significant?
Has anyone had experience with this? I am also in the market for a set of velour pads as my ears literally get red from using the stock pads. They are a couple years old and the pads are super thin and really cracked up.post #8 of 1012/4/12 at 2:49pmQuote:Originally Posted by Sycho
I have been looking into the SRH940 and the SRH840 pads. The velour pads for the SRH940s seems to feel better, but the SRH840s seem to change the sound less due to similar materials. Would the velour pads do too much to the sound, or will it only be a small change not to significant?Quote:
Same here. Can OP or anyone else give more details/testimony ?
I found exact replacements but would definitely use the opportunity to get something better.post #9 of 1012/4/12 at 3:05pm
- Earpads for ATH-M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Biggest soundstage in a closed headphone under $300? 18 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 39 seconds ago
- › OPPO PM-3 Portable Planar Magnetic Headphones Loaner Program 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo LNIB 3 minutes ago
- › Grado GS2000e Loaner program 4 minutes ago
- › Life after Yggdrasil? 4 minutes ago
- › Massdrop - TH-X00 Cup size help 4 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 5 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 5 minutes ago
- › Which Music-Player : Jplay or Jriver? 5 minutes ago
- › OPPO PM-3 by gardibolt
- › Trinity Audio Engineering Atlas water resistant sports in-ear monitor by Brooko
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Koolpep
- › Brainwavz Omega In Ear Earbuds Noise Isolating Earphones Remote... by Deviltooth
- › Bravo Audio Ocean by Varley58
- › Darkvoice 336SE by Shasari
- › HiFime SPDIF Optical 9018 DAC by HiFiChris
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by harry501501
- › TFZ Series 1 by TwinACStacks
- › NuForce HEM4 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Dual... by Jackpot77
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...