I'm loving my M50s right now, but one thing that really bothers me is that a part of my ear gets sore after wearing it for around 30 minutes or longer from touching the driver area (usually depending on how I position it). If I get velour pads or another pair of leather pads for Shure or Beyer headphones, would they be wide enough so that my ears would stop touching the drivers?
Related Forum Threads
- Advice: Upgrading from ATH-M50 Last post on 9/7/12 at 11:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K550 vs. Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Last post on 4/29/13 at 3:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50 - Ear pad discomfort - Srh-840 and 940 replacements? ATH-M50 Velour part 2? Last post on 5/5/11 at 4:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser Momentum vs. Shure SRH 940 vs. Shure SRH840 vs. Sennheiser HD-518 vs. Beyerdynamic... Last post on 8/13/13 at 9:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50 vs SRH840 vs HD380 for Studio Monitoring and Mixing Last post on 12/1/12 at 2:22am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Summary: These headphones give an accurate picture of what the producers had in mind when they mixed their music because they have a well-balanced, present, but not over-powering bass. Songs...
My current set. My favorite and my private oasis. These beauties will cut out most if not all ambient noise like while driving in a car and household noise when the music is flowing. I became a fan...
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
Earpads for ATH-M50post #1 of 107/7/12 at 2:26amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 107/7/12 at 2:59am
SRH940 velour pads are larger and thicker than the stock M50 ones. I'd recommend them over the DT250 pads. But although the replacement pads give increased comfort and room, they are probably still not going to completely prevent your ears from touching the driver lining.
The SRH940 pads do come with a softer driver lining material. So perhaps that will sit better against your ears. Another option is to use some cloth cut out from an old t-shirt as lining. Some have used that with their Grados to good effect.post #3 of 107/7/12 at 3:45am
As far as I know, nobody has yet found a suitable replacement for the ATH-M50 pads because they all change the sound a little bit. For this reason it is indeed probably the best idea to make some lining for the earcups using your preferred material, fe. cotton or velour.post #4 of 107/7/12 at 3:47am
You could stuff some cotton between the inside of the pads and the plastic grills. Cheap,easy to do, and easily reversible. If that doesn't work then buy some new pads. DT250 pads are more comfortable but they are actually smaller in diameter than the stock ones but also more "plump". And they also kill the isolation/leakage of the M50.post #5 of 107/8/12 at 10:19am
I had the same problem as you with the stock M50 earpads. I fixed this by simply put Shure SRH840 earpads on the M50. The Shure earpads are 100% compatible with the M50. They are much more comfortable since they are made of a softer material, and they are bigger for the ear. The sound is changed a very little bit but I think it's even better : the stock M50 are rather dark sounding, and with Shure SRH840 earpads, they open up, leading to a more vivid, balanced sound.post #6 of 107/8/12 at 11:04amThread Starter
I have been looking into the SRH940 and the SRH840 pads. The velour pads for the SRH940s seems to feel better, but the SRH840s seem to change the sound less due to similar materials. Would the velour pads do too much to the sound, or will it only be a small change not to significant?post #7 of 1011/28/12 at 2:34amQuote:Originally Posted by Sycho
I have been looking into the SRH940 and the SRH840 pads. The velour pads for the SRH940s seems to feel better, but the SRH840s seem to change the sound less due to similar materials. Would the velour pads do too much to the sound, or will it only be a small change not to significant?
Has anyone had experience with this? I am also in the market for a set of velour pads as my ears literally get red from using the stock pads. They are a couple years old and the pads are super thin and really cracked up.post #8 of 1012/4/12 at 2:49pmQuote:Originally Posted by Sycho
I have been looking into the SRH940 and the SRH840 pads. The velour pads for the SRH940s seems to feel better, but the SRH840s seem to change the sound less due to similar materials. Would the velour pads do too much to the sound, or will it only be a small change not to significant?Quote:
Same here. Can OP or anyone else give more details/testimony ?
I found exact replacements but would definitely use the opportunity to get something better.post #9 of 1012/4/12 at 3:05pm
- Earpads for ATH-M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Just got some HD650's and ordered a modi&magni combo, but also... 21 seconds ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 40 seconds ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 1 minute ago
- › Fresh outta CES: The Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X1, the most portable and affordable high resolution DAP from... 1 minute ago
- › New WA7d Fireflies with Two Digital Inputs 2 minutes ago
- › DAC for my PC desktop (headphones and active monitor too) 2 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.2.8 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 4 minutes ago
- › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X... 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphone by aeromaniac
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by echo1284
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude