I upped the budget to 1000.
- productAKG K501tagged by System, 7/8/12
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 7/6/12
- productAudio-gd NFB 12tagged by System, 7/6/12
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 7/6/12
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by System, 7/6/12
- productHE-5LEtagged by System, 7/8/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/6/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 7/6/12
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 7/6/12
Related Forum Threads
- What should I look for in cans for Movies only? Last post on 4/3/13 at 9:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for opera within sub $400 price range with sub $350 amp/dac combo Last post on 9/30/12 at 7:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Went from AKG K702 to HD650 but would HD600 be better? Last post on 9/7/12 at 1:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- help for finding good headset amp/dac combo fo classical music Last post on 9/7/12 at 1:45am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Yesterday
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Classical music headphone. - Page 2post #16 of 457/7/12 at 12:55pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 457/7/12 at 1:15pmpost #18 of 457/7/12 at 1:39pmThread Starterpost #19 of 457/7/12 at 3:06pmThread Starter
Looks good, and I can get it for 600 euros.
They seem to be quite heavy, I listen to music 5 hours a day, and I have a small head, will that be a problem?
Will it hurt the headphone if I listen with my normal amplifier for now?
How essential is the headphone amp?
I am ready to order once I read your answers to these questions.post #20 of 457/7/12 at 4:45pmQuote:Originally Posted by GlennGuldaSo many different choices, it's boggling my mind!I could get the BEYERDYNAMIC DT 660 for 170 euro.But it's cheap, perhaps too cheap.Then there's the AKG K702 for 320 euro.What is the difference between Q701 and K701?I'm willing to go above 500, it just has to be the best bang for buck.
Stay away from that cheap stuff. It might be too good.post #21 of 457/7/12 at 4:48pmThread Starterpost #22 of 457/7/12 at 8:12pmQuote:
I've heard the HE-5LE and I can't say it really sounded better. I'd have to do an A/B comparison for that and I don't have both together right now. I think the texture of the sound of magnetic planars has a different quality to it than dynamic headphones. If you like it, you like it.
BTW, if you haven't heard any of the Hyperion series of piano transcriptions of Bach's music, mostly organ works, I recommend them musically and aurally. They make me wish Gould had done a bunch but these pianists, especially the Russians, do quite a job.post #23 of 457/7/12 at 9:02pmThread Starterpost #24 of 457/7/12 at 9:42pm
HE-400 and HE-500 are really heavy on my small and narrow head but since they have 30 days return policy you should try them yourself since some people have no problems with thempost #25 of 457/7/12 at 10:20pmThread Starterpost #26 of 457/7/12 at 10:46pmQuote:
the Q701 is my recommendation, very solid headphones for your tastes. For more money the Shure SRH1840s are great.
Edited by Magick Man - 7/7/12 at 10:48pmpost #27 of 457/8/12 at 1:50amno one suggest the sa5000? weird... with it's accentuated air response and airy sound it would compliment wind and string instruments wonderfully and is clean enough where it will do great in complex situations in the music so things like jazz and classical or even electronic music sound amazing. their clarity is top notch too. probably best clarity i heard from a dynamic headphone.post #28 of 457/8/12 at 2:26ampost #29 of 457/8/12 at 2:48am
The HE500's are heavy, but it depends on how sensitive your head is. For me, they were uncomfortable because I am bald (and have a soft skull apparently), and the headband is not very wide, so I modded them to fix the problem. As far as just pure mass is concerned, I don't think they are that bad (again, the headband weight distribution is the problem), but a HD600 will absolutely be much more comfortable for long term use - they are very comfortable, and light.
FYI, I didn't like the knobs on the K702 headband, so I had to mod those also when I had them.
Edited by SanJoseCanJunkie - 7/8/12 at 2:51am
- Classical music headphone.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz) 10 seconds ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 16 seconds ago
- › Rational reasons to love vinyl 30 seconds ago
- › Cable Burn In with regard to Audio Directionality. 58 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Which albums sound best with your Grado? 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Asgard 2 by GustavoL1
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by vaibhavp
- › LG Electronics TONE INFINIM Bluetooth Stereo Headset - Retail... by lwbanerjee
- › Signature Acoustics Elements Series C-12 by vlenbo
- › Soundmagic E80 in-ear monitor headphone by twister6
- › Puro Sound Labs - IEM500 Earphones by BloodyPenguin
- › Matrix M-Stage by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by Dokins
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by DJScope
- › Astell&Kern AK10 Portable Hi-Fi Audio DAC Headphone amplifer... by Hawaiibadboy
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)