This may be a bit of sensitive topic here. However, how would you say this combination compares to the ODA +ODAC combination? Although he is quite spoken (I am being reserved here), his products have great respect here for his immaculate attention to detail.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- E7 / E10: How much would one of these improve audio? Last post on 10/6/12 at 8:23pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- usb DAC/Headphone Amp Last post on 1/27/11 at 7:46pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out Last post on 5/1/14 at 9:34pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Looking for a Portable Headphone Amp Last post on 7/29/10 at 1:41pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Do i need a USB DAC Last post on 7/27/10 at 2:24am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 1/22/15
I bought these a year ago now and they are holding up great with my Vector Research amplifier. Bass is on 10 Mid on 6 and treble on 8. They sound fantastic and don't make any buzzing noises. I wear...
Here a short first impressions review of the AH-MM400. After unpacking I was truly amazed. The build-quality is far beyond anything I ever held in my hands with this price tag on it. If anybody...
My Setup Tested with my Dell XPS 8700 desktop going optical out to a Yamaha RX-V365 amp (1/4 inch headphone out). I played various files (FLAC, MP3, M4A) at different bit rates using...
I try to keep my reviews simple and understandable so I don't go into a large amount of detail with each part. There are others here that do an excellent job at very in depth and detailed reviews....
I'm an on-ear open junkie, so this high praise says a lot about the PX95. A list of on-ear opens I have in various drawers: AKG K403, PX100-ii, PortaPros, Jays V-Jays, SR-80 and some more that I...
AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp - Page 7
Gear mentioned in this thread:
It sounds like so far the DAC implementation here is on an equal playing field or perhaps a tad better, but the O2 and esp. ODA will be superior amping.
I have an O2/ODAC JDS combo unit, Dragonfly should be arriving any moment now (out for delivery :). I have Thunderpants, Edition 8s, and EPH-100s to test out with...
I'm wondering what the power draw is on this thing...My Archos 101 g9 will literally power my iPhone, but that has a rechargeable battery...I use it with my FiiO E17, which has a really high power draw (150mw, I think), but again, the E17 has a battery...
I didn't see any reviews pointing this about headphones, are you talking about the ones in the Computer Audiophile forum? I'm still waiting for someone with LCD-2 or something really hard to drive to comment, maybe someone did and I didn't notice.
Some of the over-ear headphones I've used with it so far include the beyerdynamic T5p, Sennheiser HD 650, Sennheiser HD 700, Sennheiser HD 800, HiFiMAN HE-400, HiFiMAN HE-6, Audeze LCD-2, Audeze LCD-3, and the Fostex TH-900. And I'll continue to use the Dragonfly with those, with the exceptions of the HE-6 and the HD 800. With the HE-6, it simply felt underpowered, which is not anything for the diminutive Dragonfly to be ashamed of, as many dedicated desktop amps shrink at the sight of this headphone. The HD 800 could be driven by the Dragonfly to volume levels exceeding what I can tolerate, but sounds rather dry in this pairing, relative to my favorite HD800-driving amps. With the other headphones, though, it's easy to find satisfaction, and I've already used it as a hotel rig with the Audeze LCD-3, and it helped keep me from missing my primary rigs while away.
I'm still stunned it can drive those full-sized headphones.
My initial impression driving Thunderpants is they're a bit underdriven. I'm pushing the volume near the top of the DragonFly's output to what seems like what would be approx. 3 o' clock on my O2/ODAC on unity gain... bass is a tad weak, and treble is a bit sharp. It's somewhat collapsed sounding in comparison to the O2/ODAC.
Driving my EPH-100s I'm undecided... it's almost in the other direction, the lower end can be bloomy and treble feels smoothed out, but that might also be a lack of digititus. I think this is something I'm going to have to live with a few days then go back and compare. I could very well come away falling in love with this pairing, and that's what I primarily bought it for.
Edited by bobeau - 7/10/12 at 3:06pm
I would like to know about your impressions, comparison between these two combos, Dragonfly + C421 and ODAC + C421. I have already known that Jude said the amplifier of Dragonfly is just so so not good or not bad when he compared to some low-end amplifiers. What I am truly interested in is about the quality of the DAC of Dragonfly. Thanks!
More like immaculate attention to his penta-digit costing dScope while using Sony EX71 Fontopia IEM's.
Some of the first people that built the O2 in Hong Kong put AD797 in it and decided that sounds better, that's all I have to say on that.
Anyone finding burn-in having any impact? I only have about 4-5 hours on it now.
EDIT: Anyone know the output impedance on this thing? The spec says it will drive 12+ ohms.
Edited by bobeau - 7/11/12 at 10:35am
Does the DragonFly interwork with the Android-powered smartphone Samsung Galaxy S III?
The Samsung Galaxy S III can interwork with some bus-powered USB DAC, without using a self-powered USB hub:
Definitely interested in this. I know it won't work with iPad, but confirmation on android would be appreciated.
I know thy android devices, even ones without output limits on their USB OTG, usually can't host purely bus-powered devices unless the draw power is exceedingly low. The Dragonfly doesn't have a battery pack...so I don't quite know how this'd work out. That's why I asked if Jude (or anyone else) could bring one by the LAX meet, since I'd be bringing my porta-reference rig and my Archos 101g9 doesn't have hosting limits (I've literally charged my iPhone from it).
- AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › REVIEW: Ostry KC06 1 second ago
- › Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip 3 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 9 seconds ago
- › KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread 17 seconds ago
- › New Release! The K7XX Massdrop First Edition - an exclusive from... 20 seconds ago
- › Need help to find my path - hd650/600 vs K7xx vs Fidelio x2 vs... 28 seconds ago
- › using an old MD deck as a DAC 36 seconds ago
- › Centrance upcoming product for Iphone 5 above and Ipod Touch 5 : Hi... 39 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.6.0 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K551 Closed-Back Reference Class Headset with Mic (Black/Silver) by GL1TCH3D
- › JVC HAM55X High Quality Xtreme-Xplosvs Headphones by Thoft208
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by musikaladin
- › beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphones by rigodeni
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Zalithian
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by inline79
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by serman005
- › ecp audio Black Diamond by Schopenhauer
- › FiiO E12 Mont Blanc by jamato8
- › JVC HA-FX750 Wood Dome Unit Earphone by dnun8086
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)