This may be a bit of sensitive topic here. However, how would you say this combination compares to the ODA +ODAC combination? Although he is quite spoken (I am being reserved here), his products have great respect here for his immaculate attention to detail.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- E7 / E10: How much would one of these improve audio? Last post on 10/6/12 at 8:23pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- usb DAC/Headphone Amp Last post on 1/27/11 at 7:46pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out Last post on 12/6/13 at 4:28am in Dedicated Source Components
- Looking for a Portable Headphone Amp Last post on 7/29/10 at 1:41pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Do i need a USB DAC Last post on 7/27/10 at 2:24am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio)Last edited: 12/10/13
i had these headphones from last 8 months and i am enjoying it a lot for listening classical, jazz.these headphones offer proper imaging to the vocals of the artist and music it fairly do justice...
These headphones are a great pair for home use, and use for movies, videos and ect. They deliver great sound quality, but I wouldn't consider it hi-Fi though. I listen to mostly Metal and Rock...
I was overall unimpressed with the Focal Spirit One cans. I'm hardly a connoisseur of headphones, but I was let down a bit by the sound and the manufacturer's advertising. I compared these to...
I have the real version 2.0, not 2.1 (with the clip). Build/Design: I didn't like the provided tips, used the small Sennheiser tips: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110976313070 - much...
I purchased the Audio Technica ESW9a. These have African Paduak shells rather than the cherry of the Japanese release. The ESW9a is made in Japan. Physical: First, these are most...
AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp - Page 7post #91 of 17917/10/12 at 10:32am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #92 of 17917/10/12 at 10:36amQuote:
It sounds like so far the DAC implementation here is on an equal playing field or perhaps a tad better, but the O2 and esp. ODA will be superior amping.
I have an O2/ODAC JDS combo unit, Dragonfly should be arriving any moment now (out for delivery :). I have Thunderpants, Edition 8s, and EPH-100s to test out with...post #93 of 17917/10/12 at 10:39ampost #94 of 17917/10/12 at 12:54pm
I'm wondering what the power draw is on this thing...My Archos 101 g9 will literally power my iPhone, but that has a rechargeable battery...I use it with my FiiO E17, which has a really high power draw (150mw, I think), but again, the E17 has a battery...
Kojakupost #95 of 17917/10/12 at 1:21pmpost #96 of 17917/10/12 at 1:29pmQuote:
I didn't see any reviews pointing this about headphones, are you talking about the ones in the Computer Audiophile forum? I'm still waiting for someone with LCD-2 or something really hard to drive to comment, maybe someone did and I didn't notice.post #97 of 17917/10/12 at 1:39pmQuote:Originally Posted by jude
Some of the over-ear headphones I've used with it so far include the beyerdynamic T5p, Sennheiser HD 650, Sennheiser HD 700, Sennheiser HD 800, HiFiMAN HE-400, HiFiMAN HE-6, Audeze LCD-2, Audeze LCD-3, and the Fostex TH-900. And I'll continue to use the Dragonfly with those, with the exceptions of the HE-6 and the HD 800. With the HE-6, it simply felt underpowered, which is not anything for the diminutive Dragonfly to be ashamed of, as many dedicated desktop amps shrink at the sight of this headphone. The HD 800 could be driven by the Dragonfly to volume levels exceeding what I can tolerate, but sounds rather dry in this pairing, relative to my favorite HD800-driving amps. With the other headphones, though, it's easy to find satisfaction, and I've already used it as a hotel rig with the Audeze LCD-3, and it helped keep me from missing my primary rigs while away.
I'm still stunned it can drive those full-sized headphones.post #98 of 17917/10/12 at 3:01pm
My initial impression driving Thunderpants is they're a bit underdriven. I'm pushing the volume near the top of the DragonFly's output to what seems like what would be approx. 3 o' clock on my O2/ODAC on unity gain... bass is a tad weak, and treble is a bit sharp. It's somewhat collapsed sounding in comparison to the O2/ODAC.
Driving my EPH-100s I'm undecided... it's almost in the other direction, the lower end can be bloomy and treble feels smoothed out, but that might also be a lack of digititus. I think this is something I'm going to have to live with a few days then go back and compare. I could very well come away falling in love with this pairing, and that's what I primarily bought it for.
Edited by bobeau - 7/10/12 at 3:06pmpost #99 of 17917/10/12 at 9:05pm
I would like to know about your impressions, comparison between these two combos, Dragonfly + C421 and ODAC + C421. I have already known that Jude said the amplifier of Dragonfly is just so so not good or not bad when he compared to some low-end amplifiers. What I am truly interested in is about the quality of the DAC of Dragonfly. Thanks!post #100 of 17917/11/12 at 1:27am
More like immaculate attention to his penta-digit costing dScope while using Sony EX71 Fontopia IEM's.
Some of the first people that built the O2 in Hong Kong put AD797 in it and decided that sounds better, that's all I have to say on that.post #101 of 17917/11/12 at 10:10am
Anyone finding burn-in having any impact? I only have about 4-5 hours on it now.
EDIT: Anyone know the output impedance on this thing? The spec says it will drive 12+ ohms.
Edited by bobeau - 7/11/12 at 10:35ampost #102 of 17917/11/12 at 10:53amQuote:Originally Posted by DanBa
Does the DragonFly interwork with the Android-powered smartphone Samsung Galaxy S III?
The Samsung Galaxy S III can interwork with some bus-powered USB DAC, without using a self-powered USB hub:
Definitely interested in this. I know it won't work with iPad, but confirmation on android would be appreciated.post #103 of 17917/11/12 at 11:12amQuote:
I know thy android devices, even ones without output limits on their USB OTG, usually can't host purely bus-powered devices unless the draw power is exceedingly low. The Dragonfly doesn't have a battery pack...so I don't quite know how this'd work out. That's why I asked if Jude (or anyone else) could bring one by the LAX meet, since I'd be bringing my porta-reference rig and my Archos 101g9 doesn't have hosting limits (I've literally charged my iPhone from it).
Kojakupost #104 of 17917/11/12 at 11:29amWell, I have had a few hours with the Dragonfly and I have been using it with my HP Elite PC using JRiver 17 running hi res .WAV and FLAC files. Fun to watch the magenta color represent 24/96 files vs Green for regular 44.1. I like it and I am anxious to see if there is a burn in effect that is significant.
- AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › HD800 vs HE500 4 seconds ago
- › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread 27 seconds ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 32 seconds ago
- › WORST headphone you ever heard? 46 seconds ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 3/12/2014: Monster... 53 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › Celestion A3 tweeter and bass cone dead 2 minutes ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Classic Color 2014 Edition: Unboxing and first impressions 3 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 3 minutes ago
- › Apple Touch 5G - Appreciation thread. 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser PMX60 Headphones by sagar khichi
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by Cobaltius
- › Focal Spirit One Headphones by guidfail
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by BenF
- › Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphones by bjmr
- › Sony X Headphones MDR-X10 by DigitalGrounder
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by chrismini
- › Stax SR-202 by JustinBieber
- › AKG K 518 LE Limited Edition Folding Headphones - Red by kalpman
- › Sennheiser CX 685 SPORTS In-Ear Canal Headphones - Black by wrathzombie
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude