- 4,477 Posts. Joined 4/2007
- Location: Kalundborg, Denmark
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- E7 / E10: How much would one of these improve audio? Last post on 10/6/12 at 8:23pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- usb DAC/Headphone Amp Last post on 1/27/11 at 7:46pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out Last post on 5/1/14 at 9:34pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Looking for a Portable Headphone Amp Last post on 7/29/10 at 1:41pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Do i need a USB DAC Last post on 7/27/10 at 2:24am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 7/30/14
Hi All, I have done a video review of Hifiman HM901. Thanks for watching :)
You can pay more for a dac alone and not do as well as the 105. You can buy a blue ray player for more and not do as well. Ditto for cd, sacd, and/or DVD players. Its audio preamps are as good as...
The 2014 Brainwavz S5: A Single Dynamic Driver IEM Specifications Found here: www.yourbrainwavz.com/s5.html No measurements for the S5 were available at the time of this...
SO, lets get on to it. The MTPC's are a pair of IEM's that are in a very akward position. It is quite pricy and rejected by the "purist audiophiles" that dislike the brand of Monster, due to...
Got these headphones in blue limited edition and first of all, I must say that they look absolutely fantastic. Sexy in style and design. Not only that, the sound is amazing too! High, mid lows are...
AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp - Page 60
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I have that kind of a long relationship with KS so it could be an unconciousness worry about this relationship breaking up. That thought bothered me a little, I think now it's gone
I wish my DF didn't hum when connected to an amp...
To make sure i'm not being dumb, it is simply a case of putting the Windows volume up to max to activate the line out mode, yes?
Yes i know this is a portable unit. But if we compare sound quality? So it is not better than Xonar Essence series or Sound blaster Z series?
Significantly better. Air, bloom, texture. I bought the DF for portable use. For desktop, I usually use the Bifrost into Valhalla. For no good reason, I switched to DF into Valhalla and listened to it while doing other things, then found I kept stopping and listening to whole albums. Not scientific, but always a good sign. So I'm thinking the DF is OK as a portable amp but way better than OK as a dac.
+1 on this...Great value for the DAC portion...
Is Dragonfly comparable to Xonar, Auzentech X-Fi Forte/Prelude, Sound Blaster Z? Is sound on same level or are hi-fi soundcards better?
I have the Dragonfly and Xonar Essence STX in my possession and have heard the Auzentech's X-fi Forte and at a friend's house.
The dragonfly is on par if not better than the Essence STX. The Auzentech's Forte is not as good as the the STX or dragonfly.
Your particular headphone model will determine which source sounds better.
My AKG K702 sounds better on the STX whereas my Sennheiser HD600 sounds better on the Dragonfly. It's all about the synergy!
I love my little DRAGONFLY....
so I spent some time listening to NORAH JONES
comparing 24/96 to REDBOOK. And YES, there is
a difference, but not thaaaaat much to where I would
want to use the extra disk space to store Hi-Res audio.
Again, YES there was a DIFFERENCE (her voice
sounded fuller and closer to the mic, I could hear a
little more texture on instruments). But REALLY???
Do I want to spend more money on hi-res music
and worry about switching to the right settings, blah blah blah
it makes me think of watching a 3-D movie.... it's kinna cool
at first, but after about 20 minutes it's just a hassle.
DRAGONFLY = great quality product
HI RES MUSIC = gimmick
Edited by LAmitchell - 12/25/12 at 9:04am
I am new to the whole audiophile world but I have to say I am extremely pleased with mine. When my long time audiophile dad listened it through my HD25-II's he was blown away. I am hearing things in tracks that I never heard before. Even Spotify has greatly improved. Amazing!
Just in case people were wondering: to get the colors changing correctly in Windows you need to be using WASAPI (Wouldn't work until I set it to 24 bit)/Kernel Streaming/etc. Otherwise Windows will upscale to the quality you set it to and the color will be stuck there because it doesn't know better.
(Edit) Does anyone know what the buffer length in foobar does?
Edited by gidgiddonihah - 12/25/12 at 2:30pm
- AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Grado e Series 1 second ago
- › What smartphone screen size do you prefer? 43 seconds ago
- › Keep Aune MK2 or buy iFi Micro-iCan ? 3 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 5 minutes ago
- › Burson Soloist 5 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 5 minutes ago
- › iPhone 6 with 128GB 7 minutes ago
- › iBasso D10 Cobra Portable DAC / AMP & Op Amp Kit 9 minutes ago
- › T-Peos H300 New! 10 minutes ago
- › Burson Soloist 10 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by piksnz
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by NA Blur
- › Monster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphones by TurbinePro
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by SMLeaves
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by wolfjeanne
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 350p Portable Headphones Brand New Black Free... by twister6
- › Sony MDR-CD 780 by mark235
- › EarSonics EM32 by Rollk2
- › JVC HA-FX101 by bonami2
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)