- 4,575 Posts. Joined 4/2007
- Location: Kalundborg, Denmark
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- E7 / E10: How much would one of these improve audio? Last post on 10/6/12 at 8:23pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- usb DAC/Headphone Amp Last post on 1/27/11 at 7:46pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out Last post on 5/1/14 at 9:34pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Looking for a Portable Headphone Amp Last post on 7/29/10 at 1:41pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Do i need a USB DAC Last post on 7/27/10 at 2:24am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: Today
AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp - Page 60
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I have that kind of a long relationship with KS so it could be an unconciousness worry about this relationship breaking up. That thought bothered me a little, I think now it's gone
I wish my DF didn't hum when connected to an amp...
To make sure i'm not being dumb, it is simply a case of putting the Windows volume up to max to activate the line out mode, yes?
It would depend on the card as to which may be better. Remember the form factor.....This is a portable unit. Sound cards are not generally portable.
Yes i know this is a portable unit. But if we compare sound quality? So it is not better than Xonar Essence series or Sound blaster Z series?
Significantly better. Air, bloom, texture. I bought the DF for portable use. For desktop, I usually use the Bifrost into Valhalla. For no good reason, I switched to DF into Valhalla and listened to it while doing other things, then found I kept stopping and listening to whole albums. Not scientific, but always a good sign. So I'm thinking the DF is OK as a portable amp but way better than OK as a dac.
+1 on this...Great value for the DAC portion...
Is Dragonfly comparable to Xonar, Auzentech X-Fi Forte/Prelude, Sound Blaster Z? Is sound on same level or are hi-fi soundcards better?
I have the Dragonfly and Xonar Essence STX in my possession and have heard the Auzentech's X-fi Forte and at a friend's house.
The dragonfly is on par if not better than the Essence STX. The Auzentech's Forte is not as good as the the STX or dragonfly.
Your particular headphone model will determine which source sounds better.
My AKG K702 sounds better on the STX whereas my Sennheiser HD600 sounds better on the Dragonfly. It's all about the synergy!
I love my little DRAGONFLY....
so I spent some time listening to NORAH JONES
comparing 24/96 to REDBOOK. And YES, there is
a difference, but not thaaaaat much to where I would
want to use the extra disk space to store Hi-Res audio.
Again, YES there was a DIFFERENCE (her voice
sounded fuller and closer to the mic, I could hear a
little more texture on instruments). But REALLY???
Do I want to spend more money on hi-res music
and worry about switching to the right settings, blah blah blah
it makes me think of watching a 3-D movie.... it's kinna cool
at first, but after about 20 minutes it's just a hassle.
DRAGONFLY = great quality product
HI RES MUSIC = gimmick
Edited by LAmitchell - 12/25/12 at 9:04am
I am new to the whole audiophile world but I have to say I am extremely pleased with mine. When my long time audiophile dad listened it through my HD25-II's he was blown away. I am hearing things in tracks that I never heard before. Even Spotify has greatly improved. Amazing!
Just in case people were wondering: to get the colors changing correctly in Windows you need to be using WASAPI (Wouldn't work until I set it to 24 bit)/Kernel Streaming/etc. Otherwise Windows will upscale to the quality you set it to and the color will be stuck there because it doesn't know better.
(Edit) Does anyone know what the buffer length in foobar does?
Edited by gidgiddonihah - 12/25/12 at 2:30pm
- AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Vinnie Rossi LIO - Ultracapacitor-Powered, Modular Hi-Fi System is... 6 seconds ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 46 seconds ago
- › Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good. 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Neutral headphone amp/DAC for $200-250 3 minutes ago
- › going from Bose AE2 3 minutes ago
- › DC Area Head-Fi Meet - Saturday, November 1, 2014 Impressions 4 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 4 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › Shure SE215 by damianmb
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Willy 2 Streams
- › Final Audio Design Adagio III by mark2410
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by paara
- › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition by gabrielnorena
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by lecky
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by djvkool
- › iBasso Audio D-Zero MK2 by lin0003
- › Audio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import) by Mink
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by mark2410
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)