- 4,456 Posts. Joined 4/2007
- Location: Kalundborg, Denmark
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- E7 / E10: How much would one of these improve audio? Last post on 10/6/12 at 8:23pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- usb DAC/Headphone Amp Last post on 1/27/11 at 7:46pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out Last post on 5/1/14 at 9:34pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Looking for a Portable Headphone Amp Last post on 7/29/10 at 1:41pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Do i need a USB DAC Last post on 7/27/10 at 2:24am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 7/30/14
I am not sure how these got such rave reviews. As background I've used DBA02 Sony XBA3 prior to purchasing these. I was interested because of its double dynamic drivers. After receiving...
Disclaimer: I would like to sincerely thank Salsera and Brainwavz for providing the sample S5 for this review. For most of my audio listening “career”, I haven’t been a big fan of...
I remember browsing the ebay like many of you guys do to see what is out there in portable amplifier land and this one caught my attention because for one it looked very nice and second it...
Intro The HE-400i is the latest headphone from Hifiman. It was released recently as a replacement for the popular HE-400. This write-up will give my initial impressions of the HE-400i as well as...
There's not much that haven't been said about this amazing universal IEM so I'll try not to repeat. I bought the TG334 at Fujiya Avic...thanks to AnakChan for his strong recommendation and for...
AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp - Page 60
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I have that kind of a long relationship with KS so it could be an unconciousness worry about this relationship breaking up. That thought bothered me a little, I think now it's gone
I wish my DF didn't hum when connected to an amp...
To make sure i'm not being dumb, it is simply a case of putting the Windows volume up to max to activate the line out mode, yes?
Yes i know this is a portable unit. But if we compare sound quality? So it is not better than Xonar Essence series or Sound blaster Z series?
Significantly better. Air, bloom, texture. I bought the DF for portable use. For desktop, I usually use the Bifrost into Valhalla. For no good reason, I switched to DF into Valhalla and listened to it while doing other things, then found I kept stopping and listening to whole albums. Not scientific, but always a good sign. So I'm thinking the DF is OK as a portable amp but way better than OK as a dac.
+1 on this...Great value for the DAC portion...
Is Dragonfly comparable to Xonar, Auzentech X-Fi Forte/Prelude, Sound Blaster Z? Is sound on same level or are hi-fi soundcards better?
I have the Dragonfly and Xonar Essence STX in my possession and have heard the Auzentech's X-fi Forte and at a friend's house.
The dragonfly is on par if not better than the Essence STX. The Auzentech's Forte is not as good as the the STX or dragonfly.
Your particular headphone model will determine which source sounds better.
My AKG K702 sounds better on the STX whereas my Sennheiser HD600 sounds better on the Dragonfly. It's all about the synergy!
I love my little DRAGONFLY....
so I spent some time listening to NORAH JONES
comparing 24/96 to REDBOOK. And YES, there is
a difference, but not thaaaaat much to where I would
want to use the extra disk space to store Hi-Res audio.
Again, YES there was a DIFFERENCE (her voice
sounded fuller and closer to the mic, I could hear a
little more texture on instruments). But REALLY???
Do I want to spend more money on hi-res music
and worry about switching to the right settings, blah blah blah
it makes me think of watching a 3-D movie.... it's kinna cool
at first, but after about 20 minutes it's just a hassle.
DRAGONFLY = great quality product
HI RES MUSIC = gimmick
Edited by LAmitchell - 12/25/12 at 9:04am
I am new to the whole audiophile world but I have to say I am extremely pleased with mine. When my long time audiophile dad listened it through my HD25-II's he was blown away. I am hearing things in tracks that I never heard before. Even Spotify has greatly improved. Amazing!
Just in case people were wondering: to get the colors changing correctly in Windows you need to be using WASAPI (Wouldn't work until I set it to 24 bit)/Kernel Streaming/etc. Otherwise Windows will upscale to the quality you set it to and the color will be stuck there because it doesn't know better.
(Edit) Does anyone know what the buffer length in foobar does?
Edited by gidgiddonihah - 12/25/12 at 2:30pm
- AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The FiiO E10K--all-new DAC and amp stages 53 seconds ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qped Thread 1 minute ago
- › TTPOD T1-E Impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › post your grado mods.... 2 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW sfwalcer's earphone comparo PG 1727.... 2 minutes ago
- › Jitter Correlation to Audibility 3 minutes ago
- › S5 Review by EricP 4 minutes ago
- › Official NYC Metro Area "Headphonatics Anonymous" Fall Meet -... 4 minutes ago
- › DAC/AMP need to be capable of the same frequency response as... 4 minutes ago
- › Senn HD650 paired up with iFi Micro iDSD 4 minutes ago
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by xsuper
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by HK_sends
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Dsnuts
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by canuckavelli
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 by Francisk
- › Logitech UE 900 by twister6
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)