Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp - Page 60

post #886 of 1934
As wasapi works fine for me I have not invested the time required to get asio up and running so can't comment
post #887 of 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc8000 View Post

As wasapi works fine for me I have not invested the time required to get asio up and running so can't comment

I have that kind of a long relationship with KS so it could be an unconciousness worry about this relationship breaking up. That thought bothered me a little, I think now it's gone regular_smile%20.gif

post #888 of 1934

Hmm...

 

I wish my DF didn't hum when connected to an amp...

 

To make sure i'm not being dumb, it is simply a case of putting the Windows volume up to max to activate the line out mode, yes?

post #889 of 1934
I can confirm my DF into Valhalla has no hum, dead quiet. Windows volume set at max.
post #890 of 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefski View Post

I can confirm my DF into Valhalla has no hum, dead quiet. Windows volume set at max.

How much DF is sounding better with this AMP?

post #891 of 1934

Is Dragonfly comparable to Xonar, Auzentech X-Fi Forte/Prelude, Sound Blaster Z? Is sound on same level or are hi-fi soundcards better?

post #892 of 1934

It would depend on the card as to which may be better. Remember the form factor.....This is a portable unit. Sound cards are not generally portable.

post #893 of 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

It would depend on the card as to which may be better. Remember the form factor.....This is a portable unit. Sound cards are not generally portable.

Yes i know this is a portable unit. But if we compare sound quality? So it is not better than Xonar Essence series or Sound blaster Z series?

post #894 of 1934

Currently listening to on the set DF +  ultrasone  8th edition I'm happy but I am thinking of buying  LCD2 or LCD3, which of these two will be better harmonize with the dragonfly?

post #895 of 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischerb View Post

How much DF is sounding better with this AMP?
Significantly better. Air, bloom, texture. I bought the DF for portable use. For desktop, I usually use the Bifrost into Valhalla. For no good reason, I switched to DF into Valhalla and listened to it while doing other things, then found I kept stopping and listening to whole albums. Not scientific, but always a good sign. So I'm thinking the DF is OK as a portable amp but way better than OK as a dac.
post #896 of 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefski View Post

Significantly better. Air, bloom, texture. I bought the DF for portable use. For desktop, I usually use the Bifrost into Valhalla. For no good reason, I switched to DF into Valhalla and listened to it while doing other things, then found I kept stopping and listening to whole albums. Not scientific, but always a good sign. So I'm thinking the DF is OK as a portable amp but way better than OK as a dac.

 

+1 on this...Great value for the DAC portion...

post #897 of 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElephantTLK View Post

Is Dragonfly comparable to Xonar, Auzentech X-Fi Forte/Prelude, Sound Blaster Z? Is sound on same level or are hi-fi soundcards better?

 

I have the Dragonfly and Xonar Essence STX in my possession and have heard the Auzentech's X-fi Forte and at a friend's house.

 

The dragonfly is on par if not better than the Essence STX.  The Auzentech's Forte is not as good as the the STX or dragonfly.  

Your particular headphone model will determine which source sounds better.

My AKG K702 sounds better on the STX whereas my Sennheiser HD600 sounds better on the Dragonfly.  It's all about the synergy!

post #898 of 1934

DF and 650's is a very nice combo!

post #899 of 1934

I love my little DRAGONFLY....

 

 

700

 

 

so I spent some time listening to NORAH JONES

comparing 24/96 to REDBOOK.  And YES, there is

a difference, but not thaaaaat much to where I would

want to use the extra disk space to store Hi-Res audio.

 

 

700

 

 

Again, YES there was a DIFFERENCE (her voice 

sounded fuller and closer to the mic, I could hear a

little more texture on instruments). But REALLY???

Do I want to spend more money on hi-res music 

and worry about switching to the right settings, blah blah blah

 

it makes me think of watching a 3-D movie.... it's kinna cool

at first, but after about 20 minutes it's just a hassle.

 

DRAGONFLY = great quality product

 

HI RES MUSIC = gimmick


Edited by LAmitchell - 12/25/12 at 9:04am
post #900 of 1934

I am new to the whole audiophile world but I have to say I am extremely pleased with mine.  When my long time audiophile dad listened it through my HD25-II's he was blown away.  I am hearing things in tracks that I never heard before.  Even Spotify has greatly improved. Amazing! darthsmile.gif

 

Just in case people were wondering: to get the colors changing correctly in Windows you need to be using WASAPI (Wouldn't work until I set it to 24 bit)/Kernel Streaming/etc.  Otherwise Windows will upscale to the quality you set it to and the color will be stuck there because it doesn't know better.

 

(Edit) Does anyone know what the buffer length in foobar does?


Edited by gidgiddonihah - 12/25/12 at 2:30pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp