Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- E7 / E10: How much would one of these improve audio? Last post on 5/16/15 at 5:36am in Portable Headphone Amps
- usb DAC/Headphone Amp Last post on 1/27/11 at 7:46pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out Last post on 5/1/14 at 9:34pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Looking for a Portable Headphone Amp Last post on 7/29/10 at 1:41pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Do i need a USB DAC Last post on 7/27/10 at 2:24am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 6/26/15
So, first off, I must say that for 200 dollars (or 170, in my case, for a unit that was previously a store-display model), you CANNOT go wrong with this superb little DAP. The soundstage and...
I bought a pair of these for a real steal (used, for 70 bucks, on Amazon) earlier this month and I am LOVING them more than almost any other purchase I've made in my life. They sound amazing. ....
This is my second round with these "holy grail" of headphones. First time around I was just laughing at it's meager power capability. The sound was good, but not mind blowing. Zero sub bass...
First of all, I’d like to thank iBasso for sending me a review sample of the D14. iBasso have really established themselves as a big name in portable audio devices and after reviewing both their...
Introduction: The whole reason I purchased these was because of jekostas review of the Bette 8MM 1+1 Hybrid: The 10MM version is going to mirror a lot of the 8MM, though I do not have the...
AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp - Page 48
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'm not sure about Grado dealers there, you could try phoning around to the local Hi-Fi shops. There's also what looks to be the Canadian Grado distributor and Headphone Bar in BC who carry Grado. If none of those work, as mentioned there's eBay or I'm sure you could probably pick one via one of the sponsors like Todd The Vinyl Junkie.
So I received mine yesterday and love it. I have been using it almost non-stop and it pairs wonderfully with the ie 80s - great clarity and quality throughout the sound spectrum. However, one thing concerns me about the DAC for the long term. When I plug the DF into a USB 2.0 port it works perfectly. However, when I plug it into a USB 3.0 port it doesn't get recognized. I've tried this on two separate notebooks with the same result. Both are running Windows 7 64 bit. Anyone have any ideas?
Also, did anyone figure out if this can be used with a Galaxy S III?
Edited by devilsadvocate - 9/26/12 at 12:44pm
Well, we will soon find out. I just ordered the cable, so I will update everyone in this thread.
In other news, I did a bit of research with regards to issues with USB 3.0 and came across this: http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/06/usb-3-0-backwards-compatible-in-theory-but-some-audio-drivers-arent-cooperating/
It appears the DF is falling victim to this, which is concerning me as at some point USB 2.0 will get discontinued. As I just spent $250, I would hate to think that it may be useless on my next laptop.
The problem I see is the DF relies on getting its power from the USB port so unless the S3 is sporting a powered USB port I would imagine this would be a no go.
Great combo. They image like crazy with the DF!
Stereophile's review of the Dragonfly is up:
Overall a very positive review.
One interesting observation is the fact that there are two versions of the DF with slightly different volume control configuration.
The first or early version clips the output after the 60th step.
The current version stops at the 60th step and thus reduces the distortion at max volume significantly.
I wonder what version do I have and if there is a way to find out by the codes on the box since the device has no version markings of its own.
Interesting. One of my laptops is an X220 and it didn't work. Maybe the newer USB3.0 ports will have better support.
- AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › "The Lab" 52 seconds ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 3 minutes ago
- › ZMF Omni - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Grado 325i Owners Club. 8 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 9 minutes ago
- › LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread 9 minutes ago
- › 2.0 Speakers Compilation: Best for <$500 11 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by goodyfresh
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-80 by goodyfresh
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by snellemin
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by lin0003
- › Bette 10MM 1+1 Hybrid Wood Black by BloodyPenguin
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by sk2290
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by wrathzombie
- › RHA T20 by Wyd4
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Stillhart
- › Eddie Current Zana Deux SE by mikoss
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3