Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- E7 / E10: How much would one of these improve audio? Last post on 5/16/15 at 5:36am in Portable Headphone Amps
- usb DAC/Headphone Amp Last post on 1/27/11 at 7:46pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out Last post on 5/1/14 at 9:34pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Looking for a Portable Headphone Amp Last post on 7/29/10 at 1:41pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Do i need a USB DAC Last post on 7/27/10 at 2:24am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 12/22/15
All instruments come to live with pm1, crystal clear and smooth at the same time. Pm1 made my Sennheiser hd650 and Grado reference 1 sound harsh and incomplete. I had some time to listen to hd800...
The Fiil Diva headphone is probably one of the most intuitive headphones south of $200. They have features that make them almost 3-4 headphones in one, currently they can be had for about $129 on...
Recently My Noble 5 developed a rattle on the left side, so I sent them back to Noble, in return they upgraded me to the Dulce Bass, I've had these for 3 days now and let me tell you what a step up...
My first Head-Fi review. Pledged for these on Kickstarter this year. I own full range electrostatic speakers (Acoustat 3) and electret headphones (Audio Technica AT706). The Mitchell & Johnson...
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION I didn't really know about PaiAudio at all until very recently when I was approached by Alex Fan...
AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp - Page 48
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'm not sure about Grado dealers there, you could try phoning around to the local Hi-Fi shops. There's also what looks to be the Canadian Grado distributor and Headphone Bar in BC who carry Grado. If none of those work, as mentioned there's eBay or I'm sure you could probably pick one via one of the sponsors like Todd The Vinyl Junkie.
So I received mine yesterday and love it. I have been using it almost non-stop and it pairs wonderfully with the ie 80s - great clarity and quality throughout the sound spectrum. However, one thing concerns me about the DAC for the long term. When I plug the DF into a USB 2.0 port it works perfectly. However, when I plug it into a USB 3.0 port it doesn't get recognized. I've tried this on two separate notebooks with the same result. Both are running Windows 7 64 bit. Anyone have any ideas?
Also, did anyone figure out if this can be used with a Galaxy S III?
Edited by devilsadvocate - 9/26/12 at 12:44pm
Well, we will soon find out. I just ordered the cable, so I will update everyone in this thread.
In other news, I did a bit of research with regards to issues with USB 3.0 and came across this: http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/06/usb-3-0-backwards-compatible-in-theory-but-some-audio-drivers-arent-cooperating/
It appears the DF is falling victim to this, which is concerning me as at some point USB 2.0 will get discontinued. As I just spent $250, I would hate to think that it may be useless on my next laptop.
The problem I see is the DF relies on getting its power from the USB port so unless the S3 is sporting a powered USB port I would imagine this would be a no go.
Great combo. They image like crazy with the DF!
Stereophile's review of the Dragonfly is up:
Overall a very positive review.
One interesting observation is the fact that there are two versions of the DF with slightly different volume control configuration.
The first or early version clips the output after the 60th step.
The current version stops at the 60th step and thus reduces the distortion at max volume significantly.
I wonder what version do I have and if there is a way to find out by the codes on the box since the device has no version markings of its own.
Interesting. One of my laptops is an X220 and it didn't work. Maybe the newer USB3.0 ports will have better support.
- AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 1 second ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 42 seconds ago
- › Noble Cable for Heir CIEM 1 minute ago
- › Cowon Plenue D 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH900 MkII 3 minutes ago
- › Turn Your Detachable Cable Headphones into HiFi Bluetooth... 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Best Headphones To Plug Directly Into Your Smart Phone. No DAC,... 5 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 6 minutes ago
- › OPPO PM-1 by Sam 88
- › Fiil Diva Bluetooth, Noise Cancelling Headphones by Tom22
- › Noble Audio Dulce Bass UIEM by darober2
- › Mitchell & Johnson Electrostatz (GL2) Kickstarter Edition -... by barondla
- › 3.14 MR3 Music Headphones, BA Balanced Armature Headphones with 3... by Brooko
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by Jackpot77
- › Philips SHP9500 by reikoshea
- › Fostex T50RP MK3 Professional Studio Headphones, Semi-Open by reikoshea
- › Super Dolphin 6BA by RedJohn456
- › HE-5LE by audiophilehe400
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...