Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- E7 / E10: How much would one of these improve audio? Last post on 10/6/12 at 8:23pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- usb DAC/Headphone Amp Last post on 1/27/11 at 7:46pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out Last post on 4/30/13 at 11:40pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Looking for a Portable Headphone Amp Last post on 7/29/10 at 1:41pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Do i need a USB DAC Last post on 7/27/10 at 2:24am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio)
Edited on 5/14/13
The JVC HA M750's were my first "real" pair of headphones. Previously, I had just used iPod headphones and cheap 10 dollar headphones from my local grocery store. As such, I was very impressed by...
Introduction The ASG-2 is Aurisonics' second (official) foray into the world of iems. The guys over at Aurisonics cater primarily to the music professional crowd, and their products are...
My opinions Sound The sound produced by the HD558 is rich, a bit light, and isn't bloated with bass which is a good thing. It has a crisp treble and punchy bass, very great...
Introduction In the past 2 years VentureCraft has been successfully creating amps and DAC/Amp packaged components with their GD-03, Go-DAP 4.0 for iPhone 4(s), and Go-DAP X for their...
A friend of mine needed a new headphone, which was cheap, closed and good sounding. I said to him, dream on friend it will be very tough to find a headphone with those criteria. But then after...
AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp - Page 48
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'm not sure about Grado dealers there, you could try phoning around to the local Hi-Fi shops. There's also what looks to be the Canadian Grado distributor and Headphone Bar in BC who carry Grado. If none of those work, as mentioned there's eBay or I'm sure you could probably pick one via one of the sponsors like Todd The Vinyl Junkie.
So I received mine yesterday and love it. I have been using it almost non-stop and it pairs wonderfully with the ie 80s - great clarity and quality throughout the sound spectrum. However, one thing concerns me about the DAC for the long term. When I plug the DF into a USB 2.0 port it works perfectly. However, when I plug it into a USB 3.0 port it doesn't get recognized. I've tried this on two separate notebooks with the same result. Both are running Windows 7 64 bit. Anyone have any ideas?
Also, did anyone figure out if this can be used with a Galaxy S III?
Edited by devilsadvocate - 9/26/12 at 12:44pm
Well, we will soon find out. I just ordered the cable, so I will update everyone in this thread.
In other news, I did a bit of research with regards to issues with USB 3.0 and came across this: http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/06/usb-3-0-backwards-compatible-in-theory-but-some-audio-drivers-arent-cooperating/
It appears the DF is falling victim to this, which is concerning me as at some point USB 2.0 will get discontinued. As I just spent $250, I would hate to think that it may be useless on my next laptop.
The problem I see is the DF relies on getting its power from the USB port so unless the S3 is sporting a powered USB port I would imagine this would be a no go.
Stereophile's review of the Dragonfly is up:
Overall a very positive review.
One interesting observation is the fact that there are two versions of the DF with slightly different volume control configuration.
The first or early version clips the output after the 60th step.
The current version stops at the 60th step and thus reduces the distortion at max volume significantly.
I wonder what version do I have and if there is a way to find out by the codes on the box since the device has no version markings of its own.
Interesting. One of my laptops is an X220 and it didn't work. Maybe the newer USB3.0 ports will have better support.
- AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Sennheiser unipolar 2000 9 seconds ago
- › Little dot mk3 settings for both hd650 and d2000 33 seconds ago
- › Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE 47 seconds ago
- › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally!... 54 seconds ago
- › JDS Labs C5 portable amplifier appreciation + discussion thread... 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread 1 minute ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 2 minutes ago
- › Audioengine D1 to TubeMagic D1 Plus, Worth the Sidegrade? 2 minutes ago
- › Corda Cross-1 crossfeed unit. Price includes shipping and paypal 3 minutes ago
- › Gundam Model-Fi (Gunpla) (Post Some Pictures!) 5 minutes ago
- › JVC HA M750 by tinamou62
- › Aurisonics ASG-2 by eke2k6
- › Sennheiser HD-558 by Tr1ckster
- › Go-Dap DD Socket1 (DD/DA Converter) for iPhone & iPod... by AnakChan
- › Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown by Marleybob217
- › AKG K 550 by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-40/N Gold | Quad Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones... by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-4SL by a_recording
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by a_recording
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe