Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp - Page 36

post #526 of 1934

Yeah it's just my HD-650's needing so much power. I just tried out my Grado SR-80's with the DragonFly, and 50% is enough to be extremely loud. 

 

I just ordered some HE-400's, and those are supposedly easier to drive than the 650's. So the combo should be just right for me. 

 

Although I will say, even maxed out for my 650's, it sounds more than fine. :) This device is amazing! 


Edited by satanigatan - 9/1/12 at 5:30pm
post #527 of 1934

You are maxing the DF with 650's?  eek.gif

 

I would have no ears left....

post #528 of 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

You are maxing the DF with 650's?  eek.gif

 

I would have no ears left....

 

Maybe my ears are THAT bad.

 

=/

 

Or maybe my settings aren't right. For me, maxing out the 650 on DF is about loud level. Whereas 50% system volume is REALLY loud. 

post #529 of 1934

I am at like 40% with the T50rp and 10% for the Vmoda m80...  :D I can have my own personal speakers if I max the volume gauge 

post #530 of 1934

I do that sometimes when I have work to do and background sound is better than direct.  biggrin.gif

post #531 of 1934

I'm at 16% with my Senn IE7s.

 

After maxing out the itunes slider, just use your system volume to adjust the sound. It's F8 and F9 on my Dell keyboard.

 

Only time you max out both itunes and system volume is when you are using the DF as a DAC feeding another amp. In that case, use the external amp to control the volume.
 

post #532 of 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post

I'm at 16% with my Senn IE7s.

 

After maxing out the itunes slider, just use your system volume to adjust the sound. It's F8 and F9 on my Dell keyboard.

 

Only time you max out both itunes and system volume is when you are using the DF as a DAC feeding another amp. In that case, use the external amp to control the volume.
 

 

 

Thanks.

 

I'm thinking my hearing is just not as good as others. Because I'm having to max out both for the 650. And according to others, that would be insanely loud. I'm currently running the DragonFly directly, and not feeding into another amp. However, I'll actually be doing this with my setup next week. So thanks for that tip. 

post #533 of 1934

sorry to be a noob but, would someone say this is the best usb-dac and is very portable which sounds great?

any other usb-dac which is portable/better than laptop input sound and cheaper than the price of the dragonfly.(broke atm)

otherwise i am willing to buy this next year T_T..(currently overseas)

post #534 of 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadenVR View Post

sorry to be a noob but, would someone say this is the best usb-dac and is very portable which sounds great?

any other usb-dac which is portable/better than laptop input sound and cheaper than the price of the dragonfly.(broke atm)

otherwise i am willing to buy this next year T_T..(currently overseas)

The DF seems to be the best for small size and great sound quality so far.

post #535 of 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

The DF seems to be the best for small size and great sound quality so far.

what is the full name of that dac?

is it a usb stick just like the dragonfly or a small enough for using on the laptop?(like on the lap lawl)

post #536 of 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadenVR View Post

what is the full name of that dac?

is it a usb stick just like the dragonfly or a small enough for using on the laptop?(like on the lap lawl)

http://www.audioquest.com/usb_digital_analog_converter/dragonfly-dac

post #537 of 1934

oh..i didnt read df as an abbreviation LOLOLO. 

i guess it's time to save up more money :P..

post #538 of 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadenVR View Post

oh..i didnt read df as an abbreviation LOLOLO. 

i guess it's time to save up more money :P..

Head-fi never met an acronym it did not like!  biggrin.gif

post #539 of 1934

If you are looking for just a USB DAC, I've been trying out the Halide HD compared to the Dragonfly as a DAC only unit.

 

I repurchased the DragonFly because I hadn't tried it in DAC only mode the first time around and because I might have had a faulty first unit.  Unfortunately, my results weren't any different.  It's an outstanding device, but there are better DACs out there and the amp section is nothing special.

 

I tried the DragonFly with the SR71A against the Halide HD with the SR71 using JH16 Pros.  The Halide HD was more detailed, cleaner, and had greater instrument separation.

 

The DragonFly is a great DAC Amp combo for $250 ($200 looks like its used value).  However,  I think buying a used predator or using a Halide HD with a separate amp would be a good step up in sound.

post #540 of 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by utdeep View Post

If you are looking for just a USB DAC, I've been trying out the Halide HD compared to the Dragonfly as a DAC only unit.

 

I repurchased the DragonFly because I hadn't tried it in DAC only mode the first time around and because I might have had a faulty first unit.  Unfortunately, my results weren't any different.  It's an outstanding device, but there are better DACs out there and the amp section is nothing special.

 

I tried the DragonFly with the SR71A against the Halide HD with the SR71 using JH16 Pros.  The Halide HD was more detailed, cleaner, and had greater instrument separation.

 

The DragonFly is a great DAC Amp combo for $250 ($200 looks like its used value).  However,  I think buying a used predator or using a Halide HD with a separate amp would be a good step up in sound.

It all comes down to "How" portable you want to be. The DF with any dedicated portable amp is going to have better punch, but then you have to carry another device with you. It is all about what you are looking for.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp