Ordered a Dragonfly 1.0 from Amazon and they sent a 1.2.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- E7 / E10: How much would one of these improve audio? Last post on 5/16/15 at 5:36am in Portable Headphone Amps
- usb DAC/Headphone Amp Last post on 1/27/11 at 7:46pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out Last post on 5/1/14 at 9:34pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Looking for a Portable Headphone Amp Last post on 7/29/10 at 1:41pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Do i need a USB DAC Last post on 7/27/10 at 2:24am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
At the time this review was written, the Oriveti NEW Primacy was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Accutone is a company that specializes in hands-free communications solutions but they've taken their experience and expertise and used it to create a series of consumer earphones. From their...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONThis is the 2nd pair of IEMs sent to me for evaluation recently by FiiO. You can find my...
Unboxing This package came in an unassuming black box with the branding directly on the front. Opening it reveals the very nice semi-hard case that stores the earphones. Opening the case...
Intro I wanted to start this review off with a Swiss Army knife joke but it looks like several Head-Fiers have already did that so in a futile attempt to be both funny and original I’ll start off...
AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp - Page 118
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1757 of 24833/5/14 at 7:41ampost #1758 of 24833/5/14 at 7:54ampost #1759 of 24833/5/14 at 12:28pm
Indeed! I was very surprised when I pulled it out of the box and noticed the 1/8" jack looked sort of grey which is supposed to be 1.2. So then I looked at the box and it said 1.2.post #1760 of 24833/5/14 at 12:29pmpost #1761 of 24833/5/14 at 3:48pmpost #1762 of 24833/6/14 at 2:01pmpost #1763 of 24833/7/14 at 5:00pm
I have received my DragonFly v1.2, and it ended up being a disappointment.
SQ-wise, it's very similar to ODAC, no problem there.
But it's just too powerful!
I bought the DragonFly to replace ODAC+E12 as my on-the-go setup, but I can't use my IEMs with it!
I have to set the Foobar at -40dB for IE80, any louder and it's too much.
I'm afraid that one day I'll forget to lower the volume, and then - BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!
Don't want to risk hearing loss.
Because of this, I can only use DF as a DAC only device, defeating the whole purpose of this purchase.
Now I'm worried about the GEEK - even the weakest one is more powerful then DF...
And I bought the Super Duper Geek - 1000mW at 16ohm.
Well, at least it has a better DAC chip inside, so it won't be a total waste.post #1764 of 24833/7/14 at 6:40pmpost #1765 of 24833/7/14 at 7:02pmQuote:
I tried it with my old Asgard 1 and it sounded good. I can't see why the A2 wouldn't either. The Dragonfly sounds great with my EF5. I only notice that it's short coming is when paired with super revealing amps.post #1766 of 24833/9/14 at 11:44am
Tried the Dragonfly with my large cans.
DF drives HE-400 at -12-13dB in Foobar, and AD-900X at -23-25dB.
Can't believe that just 125mW at 32ohm is doing all that - or maybe mine has wrong gain setting?
Looks like it was really made for big and hard to drive headphones, not IEMs.
Do most people use it as a DAC only when working with IEMs?
And if not, how do you make sure you won't blow your ears and brain off in case you forget to lower the volume?post #1767 of 24833/9/14 at 4:15pm
I posted in here a while ago and mentioned returning it because it sat too unstable in the usb port with my Grados. Grado chords are very heavy. I bought it again to use with lcd-2. I know, its a bad combo, but its better than nothing. Bought dragon tail for it as suggested,post #1768 of 24833/9/14 at 8:25pmQuote:Originally Posted by j14mp
I posted in here a while ago and mentioned returning it because it sat too unstable in the usb port with my Grados. Grado chords are very heavy. I bought it again to use with lcd-2. I know, its a bad combo, but its better than nothing. Bought dragon tail for it as suggested,
What's so great about the dragon tail? Just curious.post #1769 of 24833/9/14 at 8:28pm
It's just an extension cable to prevent damage to the Dragonfly.
You can buy similar cables for 1$ on eBay - as I did.
- AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 2 minutes ago
- › Classical music discussion, what do you like? 3 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NW-A30 SERIES 3 minutes ago
- › VE RUNABOUT Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 5 minutes ago
- › Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 11 minutes ago
- › ORIVETI NEW PRIMACY - Premium Triple Driver Hybrid HiFi IEM Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Accutone Gemini HD by crabdog
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Yethal
- › Cayin i5 by piksnz
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Cosmic Ears CE6P by fluffyberry
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by tenedosian
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Dobrescu George
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear