Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp - Page 115

post #1711 of 1934

I learned that iTunes does not switch sample rate output automatically, so to get the best performance out of Dragonfly, one has to switch the output sample rate manually in the Audio MIDI Setup utility. I can't justify spending $129 for the highly-rated Pure Music player to replace iTunes, just to get automatic switching capability. Has anyone had experience just leaving the setting at 96000 regardless of the the actual sample rate of the files? I can't hear much difference, but don't necessarily know what specific things to check.

post #1712 of 1934

Im not 100% sure if this is accurate but what I have noticed since getting my dragonfly is that, when I play music on Foobar i set it to output wasapi event on my DF. And when i play music its usually on green showing that its playing 44.1Khz but once I play a song thats at 96khz there is a slight pause in the music and the light on the dragonfly automatically changes to Amber signifying its on 96khz. I would give this a shot if you arent too attached to Itunes.

post #1713 of 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenZ View Post
 

Im not 100% sure if this is accurate but what I have noticed since getting my dragonfly is that, when I play music on Foobar i set it to output wasapi event on my DF. And when i play music its usually on green showing that its playing 44.1Khz but once I play a song thats at 96khz there is a slight pause in the music and the light on the dragonfly automatically changes to Amber signifying its on 96khz. I would give this a shot if you arent too attached to Itunes.

Thanks for the idea. I'm using a Mac, so Foobar is not an option.

post #1714 of 1934

If you want to auto switch bitrates on a Mac & iTunes, check out Audirvana+  Of all the extensions, it's the most reasonable I found for SQ and features. Otherwise, you're OK just leaving it at 96K but note that the Mac is upsampling. leave it at the rate that you have most of bor best results. ie.  44.1K, 24bit

Quote:

Originally Posted by jzj24 View Post
 
post #1715 of 1934

Thanks. I'll give Audirvana+ a listen.

post #1716 of 1934

I also would recommend Fidelia for a player separate of iTunes.

 

Bob Graham

post #1717 of 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzj24 View Post

Thanks. I'll give Audirvana+ a listen.

Maybe Bitperfect might work for you. Think it's a Mac program that changes the bitrate for you on iTunes.
Edited by kenshinhimura - 2/11/14 at 9:37pm
post #1718 of 1934

Just downloaded Bitperfect. It switches sample rates automatically and sounds great. At $9.99, the price is right, too! Thanks.

post #1719 of 1934
No problem
post #1720 of 1934

Has anybody tried the Dragonfly with AKG Q701? Please share your experiences because I am looking for a cheap but effective dac or dac/amp for the Q701's. Thanks!

post #1721 of 1934

i've used it as a dac for my K701, and i thought they sounded very good together. This was with using a vintage amp to power the K701, not the Dragonfly.

post #1722 of 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by brybry24 View Post
 

Has anybody tried the Dragonfly with AKG Q701? Please share your experiences because I am looking for a cheap but effective dac or dac/amp for the Q701's. Thanks!

I mention my own experience a few posts back:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/617241/audioquest-dragonfly-review-affordable-outstanding-tiny-dac-amp/1680#post_10246405

 

I thought it sounded good overall, but if the Q701 were my primary headphone (I sold them a few months ago...) I would look for other options to compare with.  Not sure there is much better at this price point, but if it were me I would do some more shopping around...  As I mentioned in my post above, I think it is perfectly fine as a temporary solution, and maybe beyond temporary if you don't find the Q701 to be a tad bright sounding as I do.  For me, the Dragonfly was a most welcome upgrade from my laptop or phone headphone output.  Everything sounded better, with better bass and a better soundstage.  I think the amp section is what matters most with Q701, especially when you get to the level of DAC performance around the Dragonfly and above.

 

If it were me, I would not hesitate to start with the Dragonfly 1.2 and then maybe later upgrade to a Matrix M-Stage or something similar... but the problem is that the new Matrix M-Stage HPA-2 with USB DAC is getting really good feedback, and since you only pay another 30 or 40 dollars for the USB DAC version, the most efficient thing to do would be to suffer along with Q701 direct to consumer device and then just get the HPA-2 USB DAC when you can.  Then if you really get into it, you can get a much more serious DAC like a Bifrost Uber or better and the HPA-2 amp section will still do it justice.  No need to have the Dragonfly in the middle of all of that.  This coming from someone who is a very very big fan of the Dragonfly, both versions...


Edited by Greggo - 2/13/14 at 8:46am
post #1723 of 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
 

I mention my own experience a few posts back:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/617241/audioquest-dragonfly-review-affordable-outstanding-tiny-dac-amp/1680#post_10246405

 

I thought it sounded good overall, but if the Q701 were my primary headphone (I sold them a few months ago...) I would look for other options to compare with.  Not sure there is much better at this price point, but if it were me I would do some more shopping around...  As I mentioned in my post above, I think it is perfectly fine as a temporary solution, and maybe beyond temporary if you don't find the Q701 to be a tad bright sounding as I do.  For me, the Dragonfly was a most welcome upgrade from my laptop or phone headphone output.  Everything sounded better, with better bass and a better soundstage.  I think the amp section is what matters most with Q701, especially when you get to the level of DAC performance around the Dragonfly and above.

 

If it were me, I would not hesitate to start with the Dragonfly 1.2 and then maybe later upgrade to a Matrix M-Stage or something similar... but the problem is that the new Matrix M-Stage HPA-2 with USB DAC is getting really good feedback, and since you only pay another 30 or 40 dollars for the USB DAC version, the most efficient thing to do would be to suffer along with Q701 direct to consumer device and then just get the HPA-2 USB DAC when you can.  Then if you really get into it, you can get a much more serious DAC like a Bifrost Uber or better and the HPA-2 amp section will still do it justice.  No need to have the Dragonfly in the middle of all of that.  This coming from someone who is a very very big fan of the Dragonfly, both versions...

Thanks for the reply. I will look into the amp/dac you suggested!

post #1724 of 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by brybry24 View Post
 

Thanks for the reply. I will look into the amp/dac you suggested!

If you are looking for something cheaper, try using the dragonfly to feed a vali.  That combination is great with the Q701 without breaking the bank.

post #1725 of 1934

+1 on DF & Vali.. using the combo to run a pair of Grado RS1i's.. very nice.. pic here.. post #17100

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iostream View Post
 

If you are looking for something cheaper, try using the dragonfly to feed a vali.  That combination is great with the Q701 without breaking the bank.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp