Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp - Page 108

post #1606 of 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
 

Audio Adviser is having a sale.  $99 Dragonfly!

 

http://www.audioadvisor.com/AudioQuest-Dragonfly-v10-USB-Digital-Audio-Converter/productinfo/AQDRFLY/#.Uskh2PRDt8E

Deja Vu

post #1607 of 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
 

Audio Adviser is having a sale.  $99 Dragonfly!

 

http://www.audioadvisor.com/AudioQuest-Dragonfly-v10-USB-Digital-Audio-Converter/productinfo/AQDRFLY/#.Uskh2PRDt8E

pretty sure that's the standard price for version 1.0 nowadays. $99 for v1.0. $149 for v1.2

post #1608 of 1952
Oh. Well now I feel stupid smily_headphones1.gif. I just got excited and had to post.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #1609 of 1952

Whoa!  I did not know that the DF can be connected to the Samsung Note 3 Android device.  How did you do it?  Just using a USB cable?

 

Thanks,

UL

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post
 

Got the V1.0 unit, sounds great from my Note 3 phone but volume is pretty lacking and cannot determine how to get it higher. I am at 13-14 out of 15 on my phone and it is just about enough but would need more in noisy environs (with Re-400 and K550). Stock head out output is higher by several notches.

 

Is there some setting I can do to the DF that increases output to an Android device?

post #1610 of 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULUL View Post
 

You need an OTG USB cable

post #1611 of 1952

THANKS.  And for your Note 3, is it simply plug and play and all audio now goes through the DF?  Or do you have to use specialized software and drivers. 

 

I have the Note 2 and figure I'll check and see how it works with Note 3 before trying with my Note 2. 

 

THANKS!

UL

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post
 

You need an OTG USB cable

 

 

post #1612 of 1952
Just plug and play.

Something to note- from my Note 3, the output volume is not great- I am near max at normal (for me) listening levels. Might be plenty for others, not sure. I have a call into Audioquest about this. The volume should be ear splitting if needed.
Edited by tim3320070 - 1/6/14 at 9:17am
post #1613 of 1952

Hi again,

             Well,I've given the v1.2 a thorough workout over close to 3 weeks now.It gets better and better,absolutely no contest between

 

             this and the v1.0!! I'm hearing details on tracks I've known for years that  simply weren't there before.Everything 

 

            from the Stones,Beatles,Doobies,etc.,through to free jazz ,World music,it all sounds a lot fuller,and simply more musical! I 

 

           really don't  know how I could improve the sound without spending a crazy amount of cash.Even then,I'm sure the audio adage  

 

            of diminishing returns would very much come into play! Happy New Year,Cenacheros.

post #1614 of 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenacheros View Post

Hi again,
             Well,I've given the v1.2 a thorough workout over close to 3 weeks now.It gets better and better,absolutely no contest between

             this and the v1.0!! I'm hearing details on tracks I've known for years that  simply weren't there before.Everything 

            from the Stones,Beatles,Doobies,etc.,through to free jazz ,World music,it all sounds a lot fuller,and simply more musical! I 

           really don't  know how I could improve the sound without spending a crazy amount of cash.Even then,I'm sure the audio adage  

            of diminishing returns would very much come into play! Happy New Year,Cenacheros.

Hmm... Maybe its time for an upgrade to 1.2 then haha. More money going out
post #1615 of 1952

Hey guys, just received my Dragonfly from Music Direct for $99. I have some setup questions.

 

I use Windows 8 and Foobar2000 for mostly FLAC playback. Most of my albums are 44100.0 Hz but I also have a decent amount of 96000.0 Hz albums. Is the recommended setup the following:

 

- download and install the WASAPI Foobar2000 component

- control panel ---> sound ----> set Audioquest Dragonfly as the default source

- control panel ---> sample rate (WHICH SHOULD I CHOOSE? 96000.0 Hz because I have some albums in this format?)

Foobar2000 ----> File ---> Preferences ---> Output ----> (I'm not sure what to do here), should I change "Device" to WASAPI (event): Speakers (AudioQuest Dragonfly)?? Also, under "Output format" which setting should I choose? 24-bit??

 

 

Also, what is the recommended way to change the volume of playback? I have 3 options, the Windows volume control, Foobar2000 volume control, and my Audioengine A5+ speaker volume knob. Two more stupid questions....there won't be any difference if I use a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm audio cable opposed to a 3.5 mm to RCA cable will there? The A5+s have both 3.5 mm and RCA inputs. Why do the Dragonfly directions say to turn off Windows sound effects? I'd rather leave these ON if it's possible without degrading FLAC playback.


Edited by kurt_fire - 1/8/14 at 1:27pm
post #1616 of 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt_fire View Post
 

Hey guys, just received my Dragonfly from Music Direct for $99. I have some setup questions.

 

I use Windows 8 and Foobar2000 for mostly FLAC playback. Most of my albums are 44100.0 Hz but I also have a decent amount of 96000.0 Hz albums. Is the recommended setup the following:

 

- download and install the WASAPI Foobar2000 component

- control panel ---> sound ----> set Audioquest Dragonfly as the default source

- control panel ---> sample rate (WHICH SHOULD I CHOOSE? 96000.0 Hz because I have some albums in this format?)

Foobar2000 ----> File ---> Preferences ---> Output ----> (I'm not sure what to do here), should I change "Device" to WASAPI (event): Speakers (AudioQuest Dragonfly)?? Also, under "Output format" which setting should I choose? 24-bit??

 

 

Also, what is the recommended way to change the volume of playback? I have 3 options, the Windows volume control, Foobar2000 volume control, and my Audioengine A5+ speaker volume knob. Two more stupid questions....there won't be any difference if I use a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm audio cable opposed to a 3.5 mm to RCA cable will there? The A5+s have both 3.5 mm and RCA inputs. Why do the Dragonfly directions say to turn off Windows sound effects? I'd rather leave these ON if it's possible without degrading FLAC playback.

Changing to WASAPI allows FooBar2000 to output at whichever rate the track is.  This is how it should be set up.  

post #1617 of 1952

Because I'm using WASAPI with Foobar2000, it makes no difference if I turn ON or OFF Windows default sounds? It also does not matter how I setup any of the Windows Sounds settings?

post #1618 of 1952

Is it normal to hear a very high pitched screeching sound when receiving a call when a DAC is connected? Through the headphones of course. Due to how sensitive my ES3X's are, it's basically deafening. I don't want to use airplane mode because I listen to music like half the day.

post #1619 of 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt_fire View Post

 

Also, what is the recommended way to change the volume of playback? I have 3 options, the Windows volume control, Foobar2000 volume control, and my Audioengine A5+ speaker volume knob. Two more stupid questions....there won't be any difference if I use a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm audio cable opposed to a 3.5 mm to RCA cable will there? The A5+s have both 3.5 mm and RCA inputs. Why do the Dragonfly directions say to turn off Windows sound effects? I'd rather leave these ON if it's possible without degrading FLAC playback.

From what I've read, it is usually best to control volume from the last component in your chain & have everything else maxed out (or maxed to the point before distortion). so for you windows & foobar will be maxed, and the speaker volume knob is what you control the volume with. Another common recommendation is to have your source at 70-80% and control with the last component of your chain. The second recommendation is for if you notice distortion with your sources maxed.

 

You should disable Windows sound effects because they can definitely cause audio distortion. Actually, most "audio enhancement settings" actually do more harm than good from my personal experience with more high-end headphones as they seem to introduce distortion. You should switch it off, but if you do not notice anything, then I guess it doesn't matter. EQ changes is really the only software adjustment that I am personally comfortable with.

post #1620 of 1952

First impressions of v1.0 vs v1.2 using ES3X:

 

v1.0 just sounds better overall. Fuller, more detailed, can handle complicated parts better (i.e. high string orchestra + high female vocals + some other auxiliary treble all at once), and soundstage / imaging is more realistic. I'll post again on the weekend for HE-400s w/ Alpha Pads and possibly after burn-in (if DACs / amps do burn-in. Personally I'm not much of a believer).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp