Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp - Page 101

post #1501 of 1906

Apologies, but may I ask what 'Terminal' is in Linux?  Pardon my ignorance on this matter.  I may have a laptop with Linux that I can try. 


Thanks,

UL

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by headified View Post
 

 

 

I think you can't without using eather a OS X or a linux live-cd of your choice and typing "lsusb -v" into the Terminal, to see if there is something like that in the Device-Descriptor -> " bcdDevice            1.20"

 

I tried it on Windows but it seems like there isnt a possibilty to check it over the Device-Manager.

 

 

So you rather have a OS-X Machine or download a Linux-Live CD (Ubuntu,Fedora whatever) of your choise and boot it up, plug the Dragonfly in, and do as i told you above :)

 

 

BTW:

Is it normal that under Win7, you have to choose the according sample-rate without the option do dynamically chance it, depending on the audio-file?

On Linux it uses automatically the Samplerate the according Audiofile has(dynamically), but on Win7 it seems like it is fixed depending on the Settings i choose for the Dragonfly under "Sounds".

 

 

I'am using Foobar2000 btw.

 

 

Kind Regards.

post #1502 of 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULUL View Post
 


It's a command line interface, just like Command Prompt on Windows.

post #1503 of 1906


Out of town with just my PC>flac or wav>Jplay>original DF>Grado SR60. This should sound like crap compared to my desktop at home. Nope, this is unreasonably close to high fidelity, and I'm completely immersed in it.

Strain relief cradle via pipe insulation is kinda mickeymouse, but it works.
post #1504 of 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefski View Post



Out of town with just my PC>flac or wav>Jplay>original DF>Grado SR60. This should sound like crap compared to my desktop at home. Nope, this is unreasonably close to high fidelity, and I'm completely immersed in it.

Strain relief cradle via pipe insulation is kinda mickeymouse, but it works.

 

so ghetto. I love it!:D

post #1505 of 1906

Just a reminder:  Read the thread from the beginning if you want to see $250 (original DF) mistakes, and worse-

 

For anyone who buys an old or new DF please use a USB extension, save your computer and DF. USB extensions are cheap (I use a $6 mediabridge) or the Dragontail. :beyersmile: 

post #1506 of 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post
 

1.0 is on the left, 1.2 on the right, in both photos.  

 

 

 

Is there any noticeable differences in sound signature between 1.0 and 1.2 ?

post #1507 of 1906
Quote:

Originally Posted by ULUL View Post

 

Apologies, but may I ask what 'Terminal' is in Linux?  Pardon my ignorance on this matter.  I may have a laptop with Linux that I can try. 


Thanks,

UL

 

Absolutely no problem mate!

As someone stated before its like command-prompt on Windows 7.

 

I thought it would might be useful for one or another to see how its done under Linux so i made a little picture-tutorial.

 

 

1. Download Ubuntu-Linux Live-CD Iso and burn it onto a CD or a USB-Stick (your choice).

 

2. After you've done so, boot it up by selecting too boot from CD(or USB), and select to try it out without installation.

 

3. After that you're on the Desktop, which should look like this:

 

4. Then you go to the top-icon on the left (looks like a lens somehow) and type in "terminal" and click on the appearing application like so:

 

5. Click it and you get something like this:

 

6. Into that newly appeared terminal-window you type in "lsusb -v" which will basically list all your USB-Ports and their features, including the Dragonfly if it is connected to the pc, which should look like this:


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

This would basically work with any Linux-Distribution, i've just choosen Ubuntu-Linux because its a pretty if not the most user-friendly Distribution out there and pretty much straight-forward for the not-into-tech guys&girls :)

 

 

BTW:

 

@ Cotnijoe

 

Its true that the weight of the headphone-jack should be taken into consideration as it pretty much bends down the stick and later might even damage the Dragonfly and your USB-Port.

Especially when it has to be used with -->6,3mm->3,5mm->Dragonfly! So rather use a short usb-extension cable like the Dragontail or something to lighten the stress on it like Cotnijoe.

 

 

Kind Regards.

post #1508 of 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by headified View Post
 

@ Cotnijoe

 

Its true that the weight of the headphone-jack should be taken into consideration as it pretty much bends down the stick and later might even damage the Dragonfly and your USB-Port.

Especially when it has to be used with -->6,3mm->3,5mm->Dragonfly! So rather use a short usb-extension cable like the Dragontail or something to lighten the stress on it like Cotnijoe.

 

 

Oh absolutely! I just love the extent people go for their gear and for better audio. Have you seen some people's "portable" stacks? haha :D

post #1509 of 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by earfonia View Post
 

 

Is there any noticeable differences in sound signature between 1.0 and 1.2 ?

I keep meaning to sit down and donate some time to a comparison!  I can't seem to find any spare time.  Initial impressions are that they are very close.  I will post again with some more detailed observations soon.   

post #1510 of 1906

So do we seriously have NO comparisons between the new and old version yet, or did I miss it somewhere?

post #1511 of 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by headified View Post
 

 

Its true that the weight of the headphone-jack should be taken into consideration as it pretty much bends down the stick and later might even damage the Dragonfly and your USB-Port.

Especially when it has to be used with -->6,3mm->3,5mm->Dragonfly! So rather use a short usb-extension cable like the Dragontail or something to lighten the stress on it like Cotnijoe.

 

 

Kind Regards.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotnijoe View Post
 

 

Oh absolutely! I just love the extent people go for their gear and for better audio. Have you seen some people's "portable" stacks? haha :D

 

It's all about compromises when you go portable and some people are just not ready to (compromise), and I have a lot of respect for that.

 

For example, I would never use any kind of USB cable between DF and my laptop as it negatively affects sound quality (and *especially* cheap USB cables). That's one of the advantages of DF to me, btw - no USB cable is needed. I have a ~$100 USB cable in my main system and it is about at the point where decent USB cables start.

 

So I accept a potential risk of damaging my equipment if I was not careful enough (although considering how I use DF, there is no risk really; it's plugged into my laptop at work and if I take it anywhere out of the office, I always unplug DF anyway).

 

And the beauty of this is that we all have different opinions and priorities that effect our decisions. That's why I would not laugh if someone used a $6 USB cable for the sake of convenience/equipment protection, but in my usage scenario it would not make any sense.

post #1512 of 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAnAngel View Post
 

 

 

 

It's all about compromises when you go portable and some people are just not ready to (compromise), and I have a lot of respect for that.

 

For example, I would never use any kind of USB cable between DF and my laptop as it negatively affects sound quality (and *especially* cheap USB cables). That's one of the advantages of DF to me, btw - no USB cable is needed. I have a ~$100 USB cable in my main system and it is about at the point where decent USB cables start.

 

So I accept a potential risk of damaging my equipment if I was not careful enough (although considering how I use DF, there is no risk really; it's plugged into my laptop at work and if I take it anywhere out of the office, I always unplug DF anyway).

 

And the beauty of this is that we all have different opinions and priorities that effect our decisions. That's why I would not laugh if someone used a $6 USB cable for the sake of convenience/equipment protection, but in my usage scenario it would not make any sense.

 

Trust me, it will bend down if you dont support the stick to some extent as someone here already proven it :)

No matter how carefully you use it, even if you wouldn't move the Notebook its connected to by a single inch from its place.

 

Of course if you use little In-Ears which come already with a 3,5mm-Connector this won't be as noticeable as with the Combination of 6,3mm+3,5mm Adapter

like i got it here(Image got blurry, autofocus didn't work right now, but you get what i mean anyways) :

 

Its really double the weight of the Dragonfly, and the Dragonfly by itself is already pretty decently heavy for a USB-Stick of that size :)

So yea no matter what,  try to use something to lessen the stress on the USB-Port  if you have smallish 3,5mm In-Ear Plugs this wouldn't be that bad i guess but anyways :)

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

@ Cotnijoe

 

Yea i've seen some pretty "portable" Rigs already ;)

I personally have a decently lighter variant of those portable rigs

 

(Xperia Z1 + Dragonfly + UE triple.fi10) :  -->  http://youtu.be/xyeg1dtBCqc

 

 

Kind Regards!


Edited by headified - 12/17/13 at 12:36pm
post #1513 of 1906
Just a question...is there any theoretical advantage or disadvantage of using such a small USB powered DAC over a full sized desktop DAC for around the same price...lets say 200-300 dollars entry level offerings? I'm talking about using it strictly as a DAC that would feed an amplifier.
post #1514 of 1906

So I am looking at the dragonfly, but can also get the Fiio e10 for just $45. Is the Dragonfly worth the extra 50 dollars?

post #1515 of 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by headified View Post
 

 

Trust me, it will bend down if you dont support the stick to some extent as someone here already proven it :)

No matter how carefully you use it, even if you wouldn't move the Notebook its connected to by a single inch from its place.

 

Of course if you use little In-Ears which come already with a 3,5mm-Connector this won't be as noticeable as with the Combination of 6,3mm+3,5mm Adapter

like i got it here(Image got blurry, autofocus didn't work right now, but you get what i mean anyways) :

 

Its really double the weight of the Dragonfly, and the Dragonfly by itself is already pretty decently heavy for a USB-Stick of that size :)

So yea no matter what,  try to use something to lessen the stress on the USB-Port  if you have smallish 3,5mm In-Ear Plugs this wouldn't be that bad i guess but anyways :)

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

@ Cotnijoe

 

Yea i've seen some pretty "portable" Rigs already ;)

I personally have a decently lighter variant of those portable rigs

 

(Xperia Z1 + Dragonfly + UE triple.fi10) :  -->  http://youtu.be/wFz4mlWFuGI?t=12m53s

 

 

Kind Regards!


Completely agree; an extra adapter makes quite a difference here.

 

In my case, it is Shure SE535 (3.5mm, more or less lightweight connector/cable) and MacBook Pro (USB connector feels strong enough to hold DF with SE535 with no problem).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp