or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp - Page 90

post #1336 of 2481

Anyone ordered the new version 1.2 yet? Looks like it's $100 cheaper and sounds like they've cleaned up the path and it is supposedly better. Might have to check it out for my laptop for that price.

 

http://www.audiostream.com/content/audioquest-dragonfly-v12-usb-digital-audio-converter

post #1337 of 2481
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendarko View Post
 

Anyone ordered the new version 1.2 yet? Looks like it's $100 cheaper and sounds like they've cleaned up the path and it is supposedly better. Might have to check it out for my laptop for that price.

 

http://www.audiostream.com/content/audioquest-dragonfly-v12-usb-digital-audio-converter

I'll have one next week.  Will make an effort to post my impressions as soon as I can. 

post #1338 of 2481

Great, the original for $100 on Amazon might be a better bet unless the new one is really a significant improvement.

post #1339 of 2481

I just read this over at the SH forums:

Quote:
 AudioQuest will shortly release DragonFly v1.2, so they were willing to sell us DragonFly v1.0 at a low closeout price. But here's the secret scoop on v1.0. It's really a v1.1 with identical specs to the forthcoming v1.2. The original v1.0 units were updated last year in an unannounced running change. They removed a capacitor and improved the mini headphone jack to improve reliability. This version also had a software upgrade, but when you plug one into a computer, the computer still reads "DragonFly v1.0".
post #1340 of 2481

Interesting, so the $100 price is basically the new price for the original?

post #1341 of 2481
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendarko View Post
 

Interesting, so the $100 price is basically the new price for the original?

Kind of.  They are not going to continue manufacturing the original, so they are gone-when-gone.  

post #1342 of 2481

Isn't this price drop quite ridiculous? I mean, people were talking about how $250 was a bit overpriced for what it did, but they were comparing it to the likes of the Schiit Stack/O2+ODAC combo. At $99, this should be the new King of budget builds.

post #1343 of 2481
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkers View Post
 

Isn't this price drop quite ridiculous? I mean, people were talking about how $250 was a bit overpriced for what it did, but they were comparing it to the likes of the Schiit Stack/O2+ODAC combo. At $99, this should be the new King of budget builds.

Agreed.  This will be the one that everybody scrambles to pick up before they're gone.  It's nearly disposable at $99, especially around here...

 

It certainly wasn't a "value" at $250, but I didn't think it was unreasonable.  $200 I thought was a very fair price.  $99 is just a no-brainer.  Anybody that doesn't have an amp/DAC right now needs to buy this thing.  


Edited by Speakerphile - 11/27/13 at 3:05pm
post #1344 of 2481

Great deal. Killed the resale on the older versions.  I'm listening to my "old" Dragonfly and loving it.  HD600s/Audivarna/Macbook

post #1345 of 2481
Quote:
Originally Posted by lextek View Post
 

Great deal. Killed the resale on the older versions.  I'm listening to my "old" Dragonfly and loving it.  HD600s/Audivarna/Macbook

How will we ever cope with not having the bleeding edge?!?  The humanity!

post #1346 of 2481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Za Warudo View Post
 

That looks like a great deal, though I wonder if the DF by itself is powerful enough to power a He-400.  If not then is the Hifimediy + a separate amp a better and cheaper pairing for the He-400 since it tames the treble more?

Drives the HE400 but still sounds better with an amp attached, even a low cost E11.  

post #1347 of 2481

So 1.0 is exactly the same as 1.2, except 1.0 is on sale right now? I don't really see the point in these new version numbers. Why couldn't they just lower the price to $150 without saying it's 1.2?

post #1348 of 2481

At the moment I'm writing this post, Amazon US is having a very good deal on Dragonfly.  Better grep one now if you need it :)

 

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-DragonFly-Digital-Analog-Converter/dp/B00882U782/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

post #1349 of 2481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post
 

I'll have one next week.  Will make an effort to post my impressions as soon as I can. 

 

Who's selling it? I want to pick one up but can't find it anywhere (that sells a DF for $150 OR mentions it's v1.2).

 

EDIT: Got it, found one on ebay, hope it's legit... Seems the 1.2s have a sticker on the upper left corner. Going to be replacing my missing 1.0 one which also had a flimsy USB connection. Hopefully they have improved the reliability issue.


Edited by tninety - 11/28/13 at 12:12am
post #1350 of 2481
Originally Posted by kurt_fire View Post
 

I just read this over at the SH forums:

Quote:
 AudioQuest will shortly release DragonFly v1.2, so they were willing to sell us DragonFly v1.0 at a low closeout price. But here's the secret scoop on v1.0. It's really a v1.1 with identical specs to the forthcoming v1.2. The original v1.0 units were updated last year in an unannounced running change. They removed a capacitor and improved the mini headphone jack to improve reliability. This version also had a software upgrade, but when you plug one into a computer, the computer still reads "DragonFly v1.0".

That of course begs the question: Exactly when did v1.1 come out, and how can we tell if our existing units have that change?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp