Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp - Page 89

post #1321 of 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscotchguy View Post

Has anyone tried this as a solution to the problem of not supplying enough juice to the DF for mobile solutions?

http://www.amazon.com/PCD-Universal-Adapter-Female-Connector/dp/B0041CFFBM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1383367442&sr=1-2&keywords=usb+y+cable

This might be the way I can hook it up the DF up to my iPad....

When I was bored a while ago I hooked up the DF with a powered hub, Radio Shack battery case and Apple CCK.  Lots of stuff, I don't use it much….

post #1322 of 1934
Yeah, I saw that, I was thinking If I could bypass the hub and get a tiny power pack, it might be a bit more portable.

Also, I am going to try the adaptor on my laptop to see if It feeds it cleaner power from 2 USB ports.
post #1323 of 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscotchguy View Post

Yeah, I saw that, I was thinking If I could bypass the hub and get a tiny power pack, it might be a bit more portable.

Also, I am going to try the adaptor on my laptop to see if It feeds it cleaner power from 2 USB ports.

This is really interesting. Please get back with your feedback :)

post #1324 of 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_T_J View Post

This is really interesting. Please get back with your feedback smily_headphones1.gif

Will do once it's in. I should really break down and just buy Amazon Prime...
post #1325 of 1934
Originally Posted by mrscotchguy View Post
I should really break down and just buy Amazon Prime...

Amazon is temporarily offering Prime for only $59 first year.

post #1326 of 1934
Quote:

Thank you, you evil doer!
post #1327 of 1934
So I thought I'd report back on the USB + power extension cable. Hooking it up to my little netbook, I noticed absolutely no audiable sound difference. Now that being said, another cable that I had clipped on me whenever I changed window's sound settings (after pressing the apply button). With this solution, every time I A/B 24/44.1 vs upscale, the transition is seemless.

I am not too DAC savy, but my guess is the DF prevents over-current somehow, so I that's why there is no sound difference one way or the other. I have been running my DF for 2 days straight no with no complications from the adaptor.
post #1328 of 1934
post #1329 of 1934

Thanks so much! I just ordered one. You can also order it off of eBay at the same price.

post #1330 of 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahhabb View Post
 

Thanks so much! I just ordered one. You can also order it off of eBay at the same price.

Yep, through the Best Buy store on eBay.  It get's fulfilled though Bestbuy.com either way.  Works great if you have eBay credit, though I'm not sure if you get MyBestBuy points if that matters to you.

post #1331 of 1934

That looks like a great deal, though I wonder if the DF by itself is powerful enough to power a He-400.  If not then is the Hifimediy + a separate amp a better and cheaper pairing for the He-400 since it tames the treble more?

post #1332 of 1934

It runs an HD-650 just fine....

post #1333 of 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post
 

It runs an HD-650 just fine....

I've heard mixed things about the DragonFly driving the HD650. Have you tried using the DF as a DAC only with a separate amp?

post #1334 of 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post
 

It runs an HD-650 just fine....

Sure, but does it drive it as well as a desktop amp (say the Magni or O2)?  Also since I already have a X3 as a DAC I'm not sure if it's worth shelling out another $100 for the upgrade.

post #1335 of 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Za Warudo View Post
 

Sure, but does it drive it as well as a desktop amp (say the Magni or O2)?  Also since I already have a X3 as a DAC I'm not sure if it's worth shelling out another $100 for the upgrade.

Of course it doesn't drive them as well as a desktop amp.  It is, after all, a portable amp/DAC.  I wouldn't recommend going with the DF if your primary can is the HD650.  It IS pretty poserful for its' size though.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp