Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp - Page 85

post #1261 of 1910
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3NTAL View Post

Then set your system and application volume to 100% and do the volume control on your amplifier.  That is how you are supposed to use it.

I followed your instruction and pair it with an Asguard amp. The SQ is much better!

Still I don't understand why setting my system volume to 100% would disable the amp part of dragonfly.

post #1262 of 1910
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenyuanalive View Post

I followed your instruction and pair it with an Asguard amp. The SQ is much better!

Still I don't understand why setting my system volume to 100% would disable the amp part of dragonfly.

I don't think the amp will be disabled if we set the volume to 100%.


Edited by pdrm360 - 8/28/13 at 4:49pm
post #1263 of 1910
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenyuanalive View Post

I followed your instruction and pair it with an Asguard amp. The SQ is much better!

Still I don't understand why setting my system volume to 100% would disable the amp part of dragonfly.

I never said the amplifier is disabled.  Setting the system at 100% allows the Dragonfly to have "0" analog attenuation of the signal.

post #1264 of 1910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Addict View Post

Anyone following the GEEK Kickstarter project? It looks very interesting.


I know this has got lots of press and looks good but does the Resonessence Herus not do what this project does?

post #1265 of 1910

Yes, the Herus has similar decoding power, but nobody knows the price. If you were an early GEEK adopter at $99 you are getting a pretty awesome little crowd source inspired device. Even at the "upper" price range now, you are still getting a nice bit of kit.

post #1266 of 1910
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenyuanalive View Post

I followed your instruction and pair it with an Asguard amp. The SQ is much better!

Still I don't understand why setting my system volume to 100% would disable the amp part of dragonfly.

I’ve heard pair of DF + Asguard has a smaller soundstage in compare to DF alone, is that true?

post #1267 of 1910

I use the Dragonfly to drive my HD700.  Although the DF is just fine with the HD700 but I’m looking for a desktop amplifier and going to use the DF as a DAC/pre-amp only.  Any suggestion for a good pairing amplifier?

post #1268 of 1910
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrm360 View Post

I use the Dragonfly to drive my HD700.  Although the DF is just fine with the HD700 but I’m looking for a desktop amplifier and going to use the DF as a DAC/pre-amp only.  Any suggestion for a good pairing amplifier?


I have heard that the HD700 can be just a bit treble happy, so I would go with a tube amp of some sort. I am using the Little Dot MkIII with my HD650's and it sounds tremendous with that amp. It would help if we knew what kind of ballpark price figure you were looking at spending?

post #1269 of 1910
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post


I have heard that the HD700 can be just a bit treble happy, so I would go with a tube amp of some sort. I am using the Little Dot MkIII with my HD650's and it sounds tremendous with that amp. It would help if we knew what kind of ballpark price figure you were looking at spending?

 

up to $400~$500, but I want to make sure the amp works well with the DF.

post #1270 of 1910
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrm360 View Post
 

I use the Dragonfly to drive my HD700.  Although the DF is just fine with the HD700 but I’m looking for a desktop amplifier and going to use the DF as a DAC/pre-amp only.  Any suggestion for a good pairing amplifier?

I'm using an ALO MKll since they just went off production new one can be found for much less than $400.  Plenty of punch for the HD700.

post #1271 of 1910
Has anyone heard any information about the second gen Dragonfly? I tried inquiring about last year's supposed Hummingbrid/Bumblebee but never got any true answer about it. The rep circled the around the question but was able to make this comment:

"We lowered the price of DragonFly to $199 on September 1 to pave the way for the next generation model with pricing and features to be announced soon. With all of the talk about HiRes audio, pulse density modulation, various forms of DSD, miniature analog amplifier technology and topology improvements, better batteries, quieter power supplies etc. announced since the introduction of DragonFly version 1 it seems logical to innovate and develop a current version.
Our goal with DragonFly was to have a $250 product that sounded like other $1000+ products. Maybe the next generation DragonFly will be the one that causes you to swap it in to your main audio setup."

He neither confirmed or denied the ipad/iPhone and android version, which makes me believe from his wording (throughout our conversations) that they may have a "one device to rule them all" powered by an optional battery pack. It's hard to make predictions with little information. I am excited to see what they will announce in the near future.
post #1272 of 1910
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscotchguy View Post

Has anyone heard any information about the second gen Dragonfly? I tried inquiring about last year's supposed Hummingbrid/Bumblebee but never got any true answer about it. The rep circled the around the question but was able to make this comment:

"We lowered the price of DragonFly to $199 on September 1 to pave the way for the next generation model with pricing and features to be announced soon. With all of the talk about HiRes audio, pulse density modulation, various forms of DSD, miniature analog amplifier technology and topology improvements, better batteries, quieter power supplies etc. announced since the introduction of DragonFly version 1 it seems logical to innovate and develop a current version.
Our goal with DragonFly was to have a $250 product that sounded like other $1000+ products. Maybe the next generation DragonFly will be the one that causes you to swap it in to your main audio setup."

He neither confirmed or denied the ipad/iPhone and android version, which makes me believe from his wording (throughout our conversations) that they may have a "one device to rule them all" powered by an optional battery pack. It's hard to make predictions with little information. I am excited to see what they will announce in the near future.

 

Thanks for the info first I've heard of this.

post #1273 of 1910

I still haven’t found a good amp for the DF; I've tried many of them.  IMO, it’s better if we use the DF alone, but in overall the synergy (pairing) between the solid state amps and the DF are better than the tube amps (IMO).

post #1274 of 1910
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrm360 View Post
 

I still haven’t found a good amp for the DF; I've tried many of them.  IMO, it’s better if we use the DF alone, but in overall the synergy (pairing) between the solid state amps and the DF are better than the tube amps (IMO).

 

I agree with that.

post #1275 of 1910

I used LCD-2 as the headphone and,

 

1. Dragonfly alone

2. Dragonfly + Asguard amp

3. Dragonfly + Hifiman EF5 Tube amp

 

The difference is minimum. I doubt if my ears are insensitive. 


Edited by wenyuanalive - 9/13/13 at 4:43pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp