Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp - Page 78

post #1156 of 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

 

So, does that mean that if I have the drawstring bag, I have one the early DragonFly DACs w/ the line-level distortion issue (referring to the comments from the Stereophile review)?

 

Follow-up on this: I exchanged e-mail with AudioQuest and they've offered to exchange my early model with a current build.

 

I am having bad gadget luck this year - I've had to send in my MacBook Pro to replace the failed GPU, my Lenovo Yoga to repair the hinge sensor and now the DragonFly.  Well, at least none of these exchanges/repairs have cost money and the support in all cases has been great.

post #1157 of 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeau View Post

 

I have a Dragonfly, Meridian Explorer, and HRT Microstreamer which all attenuate in the analog domain.  Only the Dragonfly has volume at step 0.  

 

I guess one way to look at it is you have that extra step of volume to play with.  

 

 

Hey bobeau,

 

Did you do a post comparing those DACs?  Can I have the link if so?  I have the Dragonfly but am curious as to how much I am missing out on by not upgrading to the Explorer.  

 

Thanks!

post #1158 of 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

 

Follow-up on this: I exchanged e-mail with AudioQuest and they've offered to exchange my early model with a current build.

 

I am having bad gadget luck this year - I've had to send in my MacBook Pro to replace the failed GPU, my Lenovo Yoga to repair the hinge sensor and now the DragonFly.  Well, at least none of these exchanges/repairs have cost money and the support in all cases has been great.

 

 

Whoah!  I are they upgrading anyone that has the DF with the black bag?

post #1159 of 1952

Hi All,

 

I have a question about the ANGLE of the USB jack on my Dragonfly....

 

post #1160 of 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAmitchell View Post

Hi All,

 

I have a question about the ANGLE of the USB jack on my Dragonfly....

 

 

AppleMark

That's as flat as I could set the camera.  I keep my DF attached to a USB line to avoid any risk of bending the usb on the DF.  

This is my tattered DF bag so would love to hear if I can replace that.

post #1161 of 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAmitchell View Post

 

Hey bobeau,

 

Did you do a post comparing those DACs?  Can I have the link if so?  I have the Dragonfly but am curious as to how much I am missing out on by not upgrading to the Explorer.  

 

Thanks!

 

I'm not one for in-depth impressions, this is some of what I wrote earlier

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/617241/audioquest-dragonfly-review-affordable-outstanding-tiny-dac-amp/1095#post_9289331

http://www.head-fi.org/t/617241/audioquest-dragonfly-review-affordable-outstanding-tiny-dac-amp/1095

 

I have the updated ME now (impedance = 5 ohms) and it sounds pretty close to my Microstreamer w/ TG 334s.  I'd characterize the difference being the ME is a bit more analytical, tighter, forward.  The Microstreamer has a somewhat softer and more polite sound, probably a bit more musical.  Unfortunately I haven't spent a whole lot of time with the DF since getting both - but I prefer both by a good margin.  Then again I was never particularly satisfied with the DF.

post #1162 of 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAmitchell View Post

 

 

Whoah!  I are they upgrading anyone that has the DF with the black bag?

 

I didn't read that in their reply.  I expressed concern about the reported overdriving at max volume with the earlier versions, leading to what sounds like line-level out distortion (at least, that's what I perceive).  They simply replied with an offer to exchange it, without addressing my questions.  I am sure they are worried about a message exchange like this one blowing up into something wink.gif

post #1163 of 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMAY408 View Post

 

 

That's as flat as I could set the camera.  I keep my DF attached to a USB line to avoid any risk of bending the usb on the DF.  

This is my tattered DF bag so would love to hear if I can replace that.

 

I don't own the Dragonfly but I've been reading this thread for quite a while.

Yes, it is bent. The DF is 'pointing' downward. Even Jude confirmed it somewhere in this thread.

(Search for Jude posts in this thread.)

 

By the way, there was a whole discussion about this issue in this thread.


Edited by JakeJack_2008 - 5/6/13 at 5:56pm
post #1164 of 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJack_2008 View Post

 

I don't own the Dragonfly but I've been reading this thread for quite a while.

Yes, it is bent. The DF is 'pointing' downward. Even Jude confirmed it somewhere in this thread.

(Search for Jude posts in this thread.)

 

By the way, there was a whole discussion about this issue in this thread.

I said that is as flat as the camera could shoot a picture.  The original question from the previous post is whether his DF was bent. I threw the picture in for comparison.  Previous posts in the earliest portion of the thread dealt with bending the DF further not whether it was angled down (obviously it is).

post #1165 of 1952

Sorry, but I haven't read your post carefully tongue_smile.gif enough and on top of that I don't own the DF.

Nevertheless, this is an interesting thread and I keep reading it.

 

 

I surely deserve this  deadhorse.gif

post #1166 of 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJack_2008 View Post

Sorry, but I haven't read your post carefully tongue_smile.gif enough and on top of that I don't own the DF.

Nevertheless, this is an interesting thread and I keep reading it.

 

 

I surely deserve this  deadhorse.gif

No problem. I think I may have made my post more confusing by suggesting a line out to prevent bending.

post #1167 of 1952

i would like to ask a question

now my dragonfly is connected to an int. amp

 

when i turn DF volume to full (100), i use win 7

the high freq. got distortion when i listen to piano solo

 

when i turn down to 90 or lower, the distortion is gone

 

but will this inferior the sound quality?

 

thanks

post #1168 of 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster7 View Post

i would like to ask a question

now my dragonfly is connected to an int. amp

 

when i turn DF volume to full (100), i use win 7

the high freq. got distortion when i listen to piano solo

 

when i turn down to 90 or lower, the distortion is gone

 

but will this inferior the sound quality?

 

thanks

 

If I correctly understand what you are asking, I believe the answer is 'yes'.  I experienced the same thing with my DF.  I sent an e-mail to AudioQuest asking for clarification, since I believed I had an early version of the product.  They offered to exchange it for a new one from the current build.  It's on its way back and I should have it in a couple of days.  I am going to re-run the same tests I did (similar to what you describe above) and see if things have improved with a new unit.

post #1169 of 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster7 View Post

i would like to ask a question

now my dragonfly is connected to an int. amp

 

when i turn DF volume to full (100), i use win 7

the high freq. got distortion when i listen to piano solo

 

when i turn down to 90 or lower, the distortion is gone

 

but will this inferior the sound quality?

 

thanks

 

If I correctly understand what you are asking, I believe the answer is 'yes'.  I experienced the same thing with my DF.  I sent an e-mail to AudioQuest asking for clarification, since I believed I had an early version of the product.  They offered to exchange it for a new one from the current build.  It's on its way back and I should have it in a couple of days.  I am going to re-run the same tests I did (similar to what you describe above) and see if things have improved with a new unit.

Odd, I have a 1st week of production unit. I am using it now. No issues at 100% volume with either PC (JRiver) or Mac (Amarra)

post #1170 of 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

Odd, I have a 1st week of production unit. I am using it now. No issues at 100% volume with either PC (JRiver) or Mac (Amarra)

 

That's good to hear.  It's possible that mine was simply defective, but the distortion at max volume was not subtle.  To AQ's credit, they immediately offered to exchange it for a new one.  I look forward to hearing the results.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp