Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp - Page 76

post #1126 of 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post

The only way in Windows that I have found for the light to change to the right color is to use WASAPI which bypasses the Windows mixer.  That means Windows has nothing to do with it and can't try to up or downsample the data and the Dragonfly can read the correct sample rate.  This is due to the setting that the instruction booklet talks about.  When you set it you are setting the sample rate Windows will force audio to.  That means even if you play a 192 file and have it set to 48, it will play 48 and the Dragonfly will light up blue for all non-WASAPI/ASIO routed content because it's the sample rate its being fed.

So, when one uses the WASAPI/ASIO stuff (i.e. bypassing the Windows mixer) the Dragonfly will detect/read the correct sample rate automatically. - It's good to know it. Thanx.

post #1127 of 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJack_2008 View Post

I

So, perhaps the safest way, is to set the audio at 24-bit/96 kHz.
In such a case, you don't need to remember  or worry about it any more.
Can someone comment on this?

In my setup, Windows 7, Jplay mini, Dragonfly, it works just as it should. Using Control Panel-Properties-Advanced,44k file setting and playing an actual 44k file, it is green. At the moment I change the setting to 96k it turns purple, but if I then play the actual 44k file, the moment playback starts, it turns green, correctly recognizing the 44k file. Accordingly, I believe Windows should be set for the file to be played in each case.
post #1128 of 1931

Playing around today with my iPad and Dragonfly.  Got it working.  Don't think I would make it through an airport with it....

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #1129 of 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefski View Post


In my setup, Windows 7, Jplay mini, Dragonfly, it works just as it should. Using Control Panel-Properties-Advanced,44k file setting and playing an actual 44k file, it is green. At the moment I change the setting to 96k it turns purple, but if I then play the actual 44k file, the moment playback starts, it turns green, correctly recognizing the 44k file. Accordingly, I believe Windows should be set for the file to be played in each case.

Thanx a lot. The plain Windows 7 audio mixer is the culprit here.

 

But this puzzles confused_face_2.gif me:

 

 

Quote:

 Accordingly, I believe Windows should be set for the file to be played in each case.

 

Well, because the Drogonfly recognizes  the sampling rate doesn't it process the corressponding audio accordingly?


Edited by JakeJack_2008 - 4/6/13 at 11:41am
post #1130 of 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJack_2008 View Post

Thanx a lot. The plain Windows 7 audio mixer is the culprit here.

But this puzzles confused_face_2.gif  me:



Well, because the Drogonfly recognizes  thesampling rate doesn't it process the corressponding audio accordingly?

The windows default audio **** feeds the dragonfly what ever samplingrate it is set to feed. What ever file you are playing, windows down/up samples it before feeding to df, unless you are bypassing it with wasapi/asio... witch feeds the file to DF so it can recognice the samplerate.
post #1131 of 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJack_2008 View Post

Well, because the Drogonfly recognizes  the sampling rate doesn't it process the corressponding audio accordingly?

 

It only knows what it is being fed. Different programs handle audio differently. Some route it through the Windows mixer by default and allow WASAPI type of addons (foobar2000 would be an example), some route via WASAPI or ASIO by default (I believe JRiver is this way), and some route only through the Windows mixer (iTunes without extra software).  When fed through the Windows mixer audio will only be output at the sample rate that you have specified Windows to sample to.  When fed through WASAPI/ASIO, and there are no sampling addons active, the computer outputs the audio at the file's sampling rate.  The Dragonfly lights up the right color based on the input and outputs at that frequency rate.  It only outputs and shows the sampling rate is is fed.  So the long answer to your question is yes: it processes and displays that color based on the sampling rate it's given.


Edited by gidgiddonihah - 4/6/13 at 5:33pm
post #1132 of 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJack_2008 View Post

Thanx a lot. The plain Windows 7 audio mixer is the culprit here.

But this puzzles confused_face_2.gif  me:



Well, because the Drogonfly recognizes  thesampling rate doesn't it process the corressponding audio accordingly?

I find the Audioquest whitepaper "Computer Audio Demystified" to be a pretty straightforward explanation for setting the computer for the sample rate of the file I'm going to play. Beyond that my reasoning is "...it makes sense, why not?"

They also mention several programs that automatically do it. Since I'm using Jplay Mini, and everything is manual, I change the settings as needed. The resulting playback is very musical, and I enjoy the whole process (sorta like cleaning and d-stating an lp before I play it.) Whatever makes ya smile!
post #1133 of 1931

Food for thought: foobar can only output 24 bit audio to the Dragonfly.  I had re-installed Windows on my laptop and when the new install of foobar gave me errors saying my Dragonfly couldn't play 44.1 16 bit files I had a panic attack.  I re-installed foobar, the WASAPI plugin, my USB 3.0 drivers, and was about to head downstairs to try it out on my desktop when I changed the output to 24 bit and got Jack Johnson's soothing voice back popcorn.gif.  

post #1134 of 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post

Food for thought: foobar can only output 24 bit audio to the Dragonfly.  I had re-installed Windows on my laptop and when the new install of foobar gave me errors saying my Dragonfly couldn't play 44.1 16 bit files I had a panic attack.  I re-installed foobar, the WASAPI plugin, my USB 3.0 drivers, and was about to head downstairs to try it out on my desktop when I changed the output to 24 bit and got Jack Johnson's soothing voice back popcorn.gif.  

 

This is not specific to foobar, but to the DragonFly itself.  The AQ DragonFly only accepts 24-bit audio - I noticed the same behavior with my Mac and you can't even change the bit depth to 16.

post #1135 of 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post

 

It only knows what it is being fed. Different programs handle audio differently. Some route it through the Windows mixer by default and allow WASAPI type of addons (foobar2000 would be an example), some route via WASAPI or ASIO by default (I believe JRiver is this way), and some route only through the Windows mixer (iTunes without extra software).  When fed through the Windows mixer audio will only be output at the sample rate that you have specified Windows to sample to.  When fed through WASAPI/ASIO, and there are no sampling addons active, the computer outputs the audio at the file's sampling rate.  The Dragonfly lights up the right color based on the input and outputs at that frequency rate.  It only outputs and shows the sampling rate is is fed.  So the long answer to your question is yes: it processes and displays that color based on the sampling rate it's given.

Thanx. Finally everything clicks.

 

This is what I was praying for:

 

 

Quote:

Different programs handle audio differently. Some route it through the Windows mixer by default and allow WASAPI type of addons (foobar2000 would be an example), some route via WASAPI or ASIO by default (I believe JRiver is this way), and some route only through the Windows mixer ...

post #1136 of 1931
Thank you everyone for you advice. Just want to confirm: Mac + iTunes + BitPerfect = Dragonfly changing colours!!!
post #1137 of 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by x838nwy View Post

Thank you everyone for you advice. Just want to confirm: Mac + iTunes + BitPerfect = Dragonfly changing colours!!!

 

Correct.  This is what I am listening to now.

post #1138 of 1931

Looks like Audioquest are about to launch a cool leather case for the Dragonfly! Pricing TBA.

 

post #1139 of 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by custom-cable View Post

Looks like Audioquest are about to launch a cool leather case for the Dragonfly! Pricing TBA.

 

 

Same case that came with both my Dragonfly replacements.  Seems like they phased the other case out when they revised the Dragonfly.

post #1140 of 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post

 

Same case that came with both my Dragonfly replacements.  Seems like they phased the other case out when they revised the Dragonfly.

 

So, does that mean that if I have the drawstring bag, I have one the early DragonFly DACs w/ the line-level distortion issue (referring to the comments from the Stereophile review)?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp