I just took a really deep breath about the LL........................
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Stax thread (New) Last post on 8/20/13 at 12:45am in High-end Audio Forum
- The best headphones in the world Last post on 4/7/14 at 8:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- WTB- Stax SR-009 or SR-007 Omega Mk1 Electrostatic Headphones Last post on 7/19/13 at 3:52pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Is it time for Stax? Last post on 4/5/13 at 5:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- 1000-1500$ amp for Stax SR-009? Last post on 11/11/12 at 6:45pm in High-end Audio Forum
* Obligatory warning that I am not a professional and am not the best at describing sound qualities of headphones. I don't like to use words like liquid or chocolate because descriptions like those...
Brainwavz have been around since 2008 and have been working on providing improved and more original products as time has gone on. If you are familiar with the last round of Brainwavz offerings it...
I bought the S version that has standard 3.5mm TRS unbalanced plug. I didn't want to use the balanced-to-unbalanced adaptor that comes with the non-S version because my players would not have...
“First in last out!” While the above makes for an excellent military motto, it really sucks for an audio component reviewer. I must sincerely apologize to Rock Jaw, Rockbob, and the folks waiting...
Just some brief notes and impressions since no one else has put one up yet. Nice compact form. The little rubber cone feet are useless though and start wearing out. Surprisingly lightweight...
Pairing notes: Cavalli LL, Woo WA-5 w/ WEE, First Watt F1, HE6, Jade, Stax SR-007 mk I, SR-009,... - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Shouldn't you be doing something else instead of posting here too? Something to do with knowledge acquisition and all?
All day erryday. That's how we do.
I would be interested in this comparison as well. I know SillySally has the SRM-727 and a 009, but don't know whether a LL has made it all the way to him.
Edited by mwilson - 7/6/12 at 11:41am
SR-007 Mk1 + Cary SLI-80 w/ Woo WEE
Triode mode - On the border between relaxed and too warm, not a great combination for faster material but brilliant with soft jazz, blues, and classical piano. Softer bass but full, fluid mids. The soundstage is close, more intimate, and there's a minor loss of detail in the highs, but as a consolation there's not even a hint of sibilance or harshness. This is pure ear candy without being syrupy.
Direct Linear (Pentode) mode - Lively and somewhat aggressive, bring on the hard rock and EDM. If electrostats could get angry, this is what they'd sound like. The detail is back, but along with it is some harshness. If you watch the volume, however, complex classical and acoustic pieces are a real treat. There's a wider soundstage and sharper imaging, with a slight electric shimmer, like the feeling in the air during a thunderstorm.
Sorry if this might be out of topic.
I wish I could have attended the meet. I just got delivery of my SR-009 , the seller had a WEE in the box as he bought the set together, he never got to open it. Currently using an SRM-323s with the 007mk1 and the 009, but feel the 007 sound better. I do not know how to describe it, IME the sound is a bit fautiguing. Since I only bought the Stax, I am returning the WEE, but would like to know if a Decware Taboo (arriving next week) might pair better with the 009. (WEE+Taboo+009) The Taboo is intended for use with a CSP2+ and LCD2. While waiting on the Taboo I tried the Stax and fell in love.
Edited by rubenpp - 7/7/12 at 1:11pm
(what is sounding fatiguing)? If everything sounds edgy
Having gone through the Describing Sound a Glossary page my experience is that the sound is a bit forward , and steely sounding , hence the fatigue. It isn't the case for everything though , I agree that it may be the source (Bifrost) and now that you mentioned it - music - especially with female vocals. I don't think it would be wise to run away from a gift , especially one from my wife . Thank you, Arnaud, for your inputs.
The LL + SR009 combo is starting to grow on me. The phones just seem to disappear soon as the music starts to play. THe only way you know you are listening to headphones is cause of the pads pressing up against your cheeks. This is not the case with the SR007, i haven't ever heard it do a disappearing act like the 009. I still favor the 007 presentation a little more than the SR009. But when you are running through some fine recording material, you know you are witnessing something special with the 009s.
The delicacy conveyed with the immediacy, yet firm and heavy handed when the material calls for it. Its tantalizing i tell you!
- Pairing notes: Cavalli LL, Woo WA-5 w/ WEE, First Watt F1, HE6, Jade, Stax SR-007 mk I, SR-009, SR-507, Lambda Nova Sig.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Lets Talk Metal 54 seconds ago
- › Keyboard-Fi 2 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 4 minutes ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 5 minutes ago
- › WANTED Smooth, fluid, relaxed DAC 5 minutes ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 6 minutes ago
- › Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 7 minutes ago
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 11 minutes ago
- › The FiiO E10K--all-new DAC and amp stages 12 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by DVass13
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by jant71
- › HiFiMAN RE-600 by Matias
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by HK_sends
- › Wadia 121 Decoding Computer Digital to Analog Converter by Armaegis
- › AKG X323XS by dweaver
- › Shure SE535LTD RED by hardbop
- › PSB M4U 2 Noise Canceling headphones by Mr_Owlow
- › VSONIC VSD3S Black High Fidelity Professional Quality Stereo... by squallkiercosa
- › Eclipse TD-M1 by HideousPride
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)