I just took a really deep breath about the LL........................
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Stax thread (New) Last post on 8/20/13 at 12:45am in High-end Audio Forum
- The best headphones in the world Last post on 4/7/14 at 8:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- WTB- Stax SR-009 or SR-007 Omega Mk1 Electrostatic Headphones Last post on 7/19/13 at 3:52pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Is it time for Stax? Last post on 4/5/13 at 5:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- 1000-1500$ amp for Stax SR-009? Last post on 11/11/12 at 6:45pm in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 8/14/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Woo Audio: FAQ and Product TroubleshootLast edited: 6/17/14
I've owned the Sennheiser Momentum for about a year now. Though it is aesthetically pleasing, and very sturdy overall, I can honestly say that it isn't worth the $300. I enjoyed the mids, which...
Not quite a review but thought I'd quote my recent observations. Quote: Originally Posted by Rob80b Well the K712s showed up, just doing some preliminary comparison with my K701s with the...
First, a big thanks to Todd The Vinyl Junkie for making the 'e' series loaner program possible. To the next guy in line: sorry I kept them for so long. The very first pair of 'high-end'...
A big thanks to TekFusion for sending the TwinWoofer in for review and Ibrahim for taking the photo shots! TekFusion is a brand new fresh company based in India. Targeted for consumer...
I enjoy these headphones very much. A beautiful sound, clear and natural with a tight bass. I am a bit surprised such small cans can sounds so good. The wood finish might not suit everyone, but...
Pairing notes: Cavalli LL, Woo WA-5 w/ WEE, First Watt F1, HE6, Jade, Stax SR-007 mk I, SR-009,... - Page 2post #16 of 387/5/12 at 2:19pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 387/5/12 at 4:32pmThread Starterpost #18 of 387/5/12 at 7:06pmpost #19 of 387/5/12 at 8:05pmThread Starter
Shouldn't you be doing something else instead of posting here too? Something to do with knowledge acquisition and all?post #20 of 387/5/12 at 8:06pmQuote:
All day erryday. That's how we do.post #21 of 387/5/12 at 10:09pmpost #22 of 387/6/12 at 8:47ampost #23 of 387/6/12 at 8:49ampost #24 of 387/6/12 at 11:40amThread Starter
I would be interested in this comparison as well. I know SillySally has the SRM-727 and a 009, but don't know whether a LL has made it all the way to him.Quote:
Edited by mwilson - 7/6/12 at 11:41ampost #25 of 387/6/12 at 1:50pmI'll add (just for the heck of it)...
SR-007 Mk1 + Cary SLI-80 w/ Woo WEE
Triode mode - On the border between relaxed and too warm, not a great combination for faster material but brilliant with soft jazz, blues, and classical piano. Softer bass but full, fluid mids. The soundstage is close, more intimate, and there's a minor loss of detail in the highs, but as a consolation there's not even a hint of sibilance or harshness. This is pure ear candy without being syrupy.
Direct Linear (Pentode) mode - Lively and somewhat aggressive, bring on the hard rock and EDM. If electrostats could get angry, this is what they'd sound like. The detail is back, but along with it is some harshness. If you watch the volume, however, complex classical and acoustic pieces are a real treat. There's a wider soundstage and sharper imaging, with a slight electric shimmer, like the feeling in the air during a thunderstorm.post #26 of 387/6/12 at 6:56pmpost #27 of 387/7/12 at 1:09pm
Sorry if this might be out of topic.
I wish I could have attended the meet. I just got delivery of my SR-009 , the seller had a WEE in the box as he bought the set together, he never got to open it. Currently using an SRM-323s with the 007mk1 and the 009, but feel the 007 sound better. I do not know how to describe it, IME the sound is a bit fautiguing. Since I only bought the Stax, I am returning the WEE, but would like to know if a Decware Taboo (arriving next week) might pair better with the 009. (WEE+Taboo+009) The Taboo is intended for use with a CSP2+ and LCD2. While waiting on the Taboo I tried the Stax and fell in love.
Edited by rubenpp - 7/7/12 at 1:11pmpost #28 of 387/7/12 at 3:26pmIt's probably a combination of the source, music you listen to and listening level rather than the amp (if anything the 323S make the 009 sound more mellow ime). I strongly suspect the music is the biggest culprit (what is sounding fatiguing)? If everything sounds edgy, I would look at the source next or simply run away from the 009 (it's not always a good thing to buy a highly resolving transducer).post #29 of 387/7/12 at 4:11pmQuote:
(what is sounding fatiguing)? If everything sounds edgy
Having gone through the Describing Sound a Glossary page my experience is that the sound is a bit forward , and steely sounding , hence the fatigue. It isn't the case for everything though , I agree that it may be the source (Bifrost) and now that you mentioned it - music - especially with female vocals. I don't think it would be wise to run away from a gift , especially one from my wife . Thank you, Arnaud, for your inputs.post #30 of 387/7/12 at 4:34pm
The LL + SR009 combo is starting to grow on me. The phones just seem to disappear soon as the music starts to play. THe only way you know you are listening to headphones is cause of the pads pressing up against your cheeks. This is not the case with the SR007, i haven't ever heard it do a disappearing act like the 009. I still favor the 007 presentation a little more than the SR009. But when you are running through some fine recording material, you know you are witnessing something special with the 009s.
The delicacy conveyed with the immediacy, yet firm and heavy handed when the material calls for it. Its tantalizing i tell you!
- Pairing notes: Cavalli LL, Woo WA-5 w/ WEE, First Watt F1, HE6, Jade, Stax SR-007 mk I, SR-009, SR-507, Lambda Nova Sig.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Portable on-ear for use on daily commute 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 2 minutes ago
- › Orthodynamic Roundup 2 minutes ago
- › Comparisons: 21 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 3 minutes ago
- › Cowon Plenue P1 4 minutes ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 4 minutes ago
- › Wanted: Audeze balanced Cable 4 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum by MacroPower
- › AKG K712 Pro by Rob80b
- › Grado Labs SR225e by yage
- › Tekfusion Twinwoofers by BillsonChang007
- › ATH-ESW10JPN by bluelines
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M40x Professional Headphones by krishtrinity1
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by subwoof3r
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by lin0003
- › FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 (E11K) Portable Headphone Amplifier by twister6
- › Audio Technica Sonic Fuel ATH-CKX9iS In-ear Headphones with In-line... by TheAfterEffect
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)