I just took a really deep breath about the LL........................
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Stax thread (New) Last post on 8/20/13 at 12:45am in High-end Audio Forum
- The best headphones in the world Last post on 4/7/14 at 8:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- WTB- Stax SR-009 or SR-007 Omega Mk1 Electrostatic Headphones Last post on 7/19/13 at 3:52pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Is it time for Stax? Last post on 4/5/13 at 5:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- 1000-1500$ amp for Stax SR-009? Last post on 11/11/12 at 6:45pm in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/14/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: Yesterday
- Woo Audio: FAQ and Product TroubleshootLast edited: 6/17/14
First of all I would like to thank Hifinage (http://www.hifinage.com/) for arranging a review tour and sending this to me. They are really stepping up their game and slowly increasing the product...
First things first: I would like to thank Lin and RHA for the opportunity to test these IEMs and provide my honest opinion of them in return. It really is great that this community allows this...
Not too long ago, I was a lowly noob looking for my first headphones. I waded through the murky waters of terminology I couldn’t understand and brands I’d never heard of before. Over time, some...
Eddie Current's Zana Deux reviewed... Pre-amble - the Zana Deux original vs the new Zana Deux Super... - There are two versions of this tube amplifier. Both are output transformerless (OTL)...
This review will cover the X5ii, comparing it to the Pono player and the original X5. I have a Pono in my possession now. I unfortunately sold my original X5 prior to receiving the review sample,...
Pairing notes: Cavalli LL, Woo WA-5 w/ WEE, First Watt F1, HE6, Jade, Stax SR-007 mk I, SR-009, SR-507, Lambda Nova Sig. - Page 2post #16 of 387/5/12 at 2:19pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 387/5/12 at 4:32pmThread Starterpost #18 of 387/5/12 at 7:06pmpost #19 of 387/5/12 at 8:05pmThread Starter
Shouldn't you be doing something else instead of posting here too? Something to do with knowledge acquisition and all?post #20 of 387/5/12 at 8:06pmQuote:
All day erryday. That's how we do.post #21 of 387/5/12 at 10:09pmpost #22 of 387/6/12 at 8:47ampost #23 of 387/6/12 at 8:49ampost #24 of 387/6/12 at 11:40amThread Starter
I would be interested in this comparison as well. I know SillySally has the SRM-727 and a 009, but don't know whether a LL has made it all the way to him.Quote:
Edited by mwilson - 7/6/12 at 11:41ampost #25 of 387/6/12 at 1:50pmI'll add (just for the heck of it)...
SR-007 Mk1 + Cary SLI-80 w/ Woo WEE
Triode mode - On the border between relaxed and too warm, not a great combination for faster material but brilliant with soft jazz, blues, and classical piano. Softer bass but full, fluid mids. The soundstage is close, more intimate, and there's a minor loss of detail in the highs, but as a consolation there's not even a hint of sibilance or harshness. This is pure ear candy without being syrupy.
Direct Linear (Pentode) mode - Lively and somewhat aggressive, bring on the hard rock and EDM. If electrostats could get angry, this is what they'd sound like. The detail is back, but along with it is some harshness. If you watch the volume, however, complex classical and acoustic pieces are a real treat. There's a wider soundstage and sharper imaging, with a slight electric shimmer, like the feeling in the air during a thunderstorm.post #26 of 387/6/12 at 6:56pmpost #27 of 387/7/12 at 1:09pm
Sorry if this might be out of topic.
I wish I could have attended the meet. I just got delivery of my SR-009 , the seller had a WEE in the box as he bought the set together, he never got to open it. Currently using an SRM-323s with the 007mk1 and the 009, but feel the 007 sound better. I do not know how to describe it, IME the sound is a bit fautiguing. Since I only bought the Stax, I am returning the WEE, but would like to know if a Decware Taboo (arriving next week) might pair better with the 009. (WEE+Taboo+009) The Taboo is intended for use with a CSP2+ and LCD2. While waiting on the Taboo I tried the Stax and fell in love.
Edited by rubenpp - 7/7/12 at 1:11pmpost #28 of 387/7/12 at 3:26pmIt's probably a combination of the source, music you listen to and listening level rather than the amp (if anything the 323S make the 009 sound more mellow ime). I strongly suspect the music is the biggest culprit (what is sounding fatiguing)? If everything sounds edgy, I would look at the source next or simply run away from the 009 (it's not always a good thing to buy a highly resolving transducer).post #29 of 387/7/12 at 4:11pmQuote:
(what is sounding fatiguing)? If everything sounds edgy
Having gone through the Describing Sound a Glossary page my experience is that the sound is a bit forward , and steely sounding , hence the fatigue. It isn't the case for everything though , I agree that it may be the source (Bifrost) and now that you mentioned it - music - especially with female vocals. I don't think it would be wise to run away from a gift , especially one from my wife . Thank you, Arnaud, for your inputs.post #30 of 387/7/12 at 4:34pm
The LL + SR009 combo is starting to grow on me. The phones just seem to disappear soon as the music starts to play. THe only way you know you are listening to headphones is cause of the pads pressing up against your cheeks. This is not the case with the SR007, i haven't ever heard it do a disappearing act like the 009. I still favor the 007 presentation a little more than the SR009. But when you are running through some fine recording material, you know you are witnessing something special with the 009s.
The delicacy conveyed with the immediacy, yet firm and heavy handed when the material calls for it. Its tantalizing i tell you!
- Pairing notes: Cavalli LL, Woo WA-5 w/ WEE, First Watt F1, HE6, Jade, Stax SR-007 mk I, SR-009, SR-507, Lambda Nova Sig.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 57 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post... 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.3 - July 2, 2015 1 minute ago
- › Official X3 firmware thread--3.34beta: removed 5800 song limit,... 2 minutes ago
- › Modded Music Fidelity V-CAN II headphone amplifier X-TRA (Price... 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 minutes ago
- › Pure Music Version 2 User Manual 5 minutes ago
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by wrathzombie
- › RHA T20 by Wyd4
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Stillhart
- › Eddie Current Zana Deux SE by mikoss
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by LandonO
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by twister6
- › Yamaha HPH-MT220BL by RushNerd
- › Klipsch Image X10 Noise-Isolating Earphone by achelgeson
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by nauhid
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3