Very simple question, if you could have everything you wanted in a PC soundcard, what would you have?
Related Forum Threads
- Xonar DGX vs higher end cards Last post on 1/4/15 at 9:27am in Computer Audio
- DAC + AMP? Soundcard + AMP? or other combo? Last post on 9/7/12 at 9:04pm in Computer Audio
- ISO High end sound card. No price limit. Last post on 7/15/12 at 10:49pm in Computer Audio
- Do you use CMSS-3d or Dolby headphone for gaming? Last post on 5/9/13 at 6:37am in Computer Audio
- Spent days choosing a sound card. Opinions from the best? Last post on 2/1/13 at 4:01pm in Computer Audio
Build, Overall Usage: I have Sennheiser RS 130 for over 8 years now (and still lasting!) which says enough about their durability, and which is the most thing fascinating for me, I haven't...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank CTC Audio for providing me with a review sample of T-Peos Baguette IEMs in exchange for my honest opinion. This IEM is available at...
At the time this review was written, the T-Peos Amadeus dual hybrid earphone was on sale for $79.00 USD on CTC Audio’s website. Here is a link to a listing of their product at the time of the...
I recently upgraded my 16GB version to 64GB for less than 200 bucks. I wanted to upgrade to the newer models, but I'm not going to waste my money on something that can play the same music for more...
I am not an audiophile myself, rather a music lover, searching for the holy grail of SQ that repoduces life-like sound out from records BUILD QUALITY (CRAFTSMANSHIP) Very well done here,...
What is your ultimate PC soundcard?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The one I have, Asus Xonar Essence STX (with AD797BR op-amps).
Take the X-Fi Titanium HD I have right now and...
-add A3D 2.0/3.0 support (Creative buys out Aureal, only to drop support for their DirectSound3D extensions in favor of their own EAX? Ugh! I don't care if they were abandoned earlier than EAX, it still means I have to build a Win98SE-era computer with an Aureal Vortex2-based card to hear those games the way they were intended, wavetracing and all.)
-add HDMI 1.4 audio output and input (The Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD is based on the slightly older HDMI 1.3, so that's not quite ideal.)
-add XLR microphone inputs with a 48V phantom power supply (in other words, add a professional-grade pre-amp)
--EDIT: FOUR XLR inputs for soundfield microphone compatibility
-allow simultaneous headphone and RCA jack output, as requested above
-allow adjustments to the CMSS-3D Headphone HRTF
-maybe add a Stax/electrostatic headphone amp (conventional dynamic/ortho headphone amps are almost useless to me since they cannot drive my SR-Lambda)
-offer an external USB or ExpressCard variant that retains the EMU20k2 DSP and its gaming features in addition to the usual internal PCI-Express cards
-restore Dolby Digital/DTS decoding on the S/PDIF input, for console audio recording purposes
-eliminate the mode switching and make all features available under one sound card mode
-trim down the driver bloat and make it all more stable (though the Titanium HD drivers are more solid and stable in my experience)
That could very well be the ultimate sound card; too bad it doesn't exist. Still, I like my Titanium HD as is.
Edited by NamelessPFG - 7/22/12 at 2:41pm
I am not really talking about existing designs. Such as "I think this card is ultimate"
this is more of a hypothetical question. If a card was released next week that could have features, and options you would want, what would they be?
I hope that explains the questions a bit better.
If it "processes" your music, why wouldn't it be important?
For analog the quality of the components on the card are of paramount importance.
O.K. I'll play.
1) Should be a USB 2.0+ external audio interface rather than an internal soundcard. More flexible.
2) At least 8 analogue channels in and 8 analogue out. Flexibility again.
3) Up to 24/96. Potential future proofing.
4) SP/DIF coax and optical in and out. Flexibility yet again.
5) Dolby single program 7.1 pass through.
6) Mike preamps. 48V AND 5V phantom power. So you can use both studio condenser and electret microphones. (Option for MM & MC preamps).
7) Flat, accurate, transparent conversion. Taken as read....
8) Bundled EQ and effects package. Graphically controlled parametric EQ, At least 6 bands. Available on all inputs and outputs. Compresser and reverb.
9) Tough and hardwearing. 5 year guarantee as standard.
10) Separate power supply option. Ground lift switch.
11) Balanced hybrid XLR AND unbalanced phono in and outs.
12) Beefy headphone amp with 1/4" jack.
13) Built in s/w mixer with digital ins available.
14) Intelligent -6 dB Limiter option.
15) Independent front panel controls option.
Just off the top of my head. May think of more later.
I don't know what the best is, but i am way happy with my Essence STX and modded OpAmps LME49720HA TO-99 MetalCaps & Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones...Worlds
better than my old X-Fi Extreme Music from 2005.....
The E-MU 1212's are cards I have built many systems around, the "patchmix DSP" software can be intimidating to new users at first, but once learnt it has great flexibility over all over cards.
Not recommended for gaming though, but for everything else it has balanced connections, optical in's & out's & a good software bundle (especially if you are into music creation).
Also wnat to see/listen some audiocard with ESS chip or card with digital amplifier, like tripath, gainclone
- What is your ultimate PC soundcard?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › "The Lab" 2 minutes ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HM901S New Flagship DAP 2 minutes ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 3 minutes ago
- › VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand + Appreciation 4 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.2 5 minutes ago
- › ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread 8 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 10 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion + Tour Application... 13 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 14 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser RS 130 Wireless Surround Sound Headphones by Tail
- › T-Peos Baguette Dynamic Earphones by twister6
- › T-Peos Amadeus dual hybrid in-ear monitor with microphone and remote by Hisoundfi
- › Apple iPhone 4S 16GB - AT&T - Black by snellemin
- › OPPO HA-2 by gerelmx1986
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by peareye
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by dnun8086
- › Luxury & Precision LP5 32bit DSD Portable Lossless Music Player by daduy
- › AWEI ES-900i Headset Earphones Speakers with Mic for Smart Phone -... by mrplt
- › AKG K712 Pro by KopaZ
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2