Very simple question, if you could have everything you wanted in a PC soundcard, what would you have?
Related Forum Threads
- Xonar DGX vs higher end cards Last post on 1/26/14 at 4:17am in Computer Audio
- DAC + AMP? Soundcard + AMP? or other combo? Last post on 9/7/12 at 9:04pm in Computer Audio
- ISO High end sound card. No price limit. Last post on 7/15/12 at 10:49pm in Computer Audio
- Do you use CMSS-3d or Dolby headphone for gaming? Last post on 5/9/13 at 6:37am in Computer Audio
- Spent days choosing a sound card. Opinions from the best? Last post on 2/1/13 at 4:01pm in Computer Audio
The Awei Q9s are really bang for bucks! You can't go wrong with these! Unless you have tiny ears... Packaging: the packaging is standard. It brings the S/M/L tips and a shirt-clip. However, the...
I just got these in from Koss today and initial impressions are incredibly positive. These are Koss' second best headphone available that I have tried (DJ100, DJ200, PRO4AA, PRO4AAT, PRO4AAAT, and...
Comfort and build quality these would not look out of place at £600. Out of all the headphones I have tried these have the best overall sound which works with every type of music and overall sound...
Sony almost always delivers when it comes to good quality audio products and these headphones are a great example. These headphones fit quit well and have different size plugs depending on what...
This is a review for the Shure SE315's, first a little about myself I don't consider myself a hard core audiophile like most people on this site. I am 38 years old and I am just your everyday...
What is your ultimate PC soundcard?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The one I have, Asus Xonar Essence STX (with AD797BR op-amps).
Take the X-Fi Titanium HD I have right now and...
-add A3D 2.0/3.0 support (Creative buys out Aureal, only to drop support for their DirectSound3D extensions in favor of their own EAX? Ugh! I don't care if they were abandoned earlier than EAX, it still means I have to build a Win98SE-era computer with an Aureal Vortex2-based card to hear those games the way they were intended, wavetracing and all.)
-add HDMI 1.4 audio output and input (The Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD is based on the slightly older HDMI 1.3, so that's not quite ideal.)
-add XLR microphone inputs with a 48V phantom power supply (in other words, add a professional-grade pre-amp)
--EDIT: FOUR XLR inputs for soundfield microphone compatibility
-allow simultaneous headphone and RCA jack output, as requested above
-allow adjustments to the CMSS-3D Headphone HRTF
-maybe add a Stax/electrostatic headphone amp (conventional dynamic/ortho headphone amps are almost useless to me since they cannot drive my SR-Lambda)
-offer an external USB or ExpressCard variant that retains the EMU20k2 DSP and its gaming features in addition to the usual internal PCI-Express cards
-restore Dolby Digital/DTS decoding on the S/PDIF input, for console audio recording purposes
-eliminate the mode switching and make all features available under one sound card mode
-trim down the driver bloat and make it all more stable (though the Titanium HD drivers are more solid and stable in my experience)
That could very well be the ultimate sound card; too bad it doesn't exist. Still, I like my Titanium HD as is.
Edited by NamelessPFG - 7/22/12 at 2:41pm
I am not really talking about existing designs. Such as "I think this card is ultimate"
this is more of a hypothetical question. If a card was released next week that could have features, and options you would want, what would they be?
I hope that explains the questions a bit better.
If it "processes" your music, why wouldn't it be important?
For analog the quality of the components on the card are of paramount importance.
O.K. I'll play.
1) Should be a USB 2.0+ external audio interface rather than an internal soundcard. More flexible.
2) At least 8 analogue channels in and 8 analogue out. Flexibility again.
3) Up to 24/96. Potential future proofing.
4) SP/DIF coax and optical in and out. Flexibility yet again.
5) Dolby single program 7.1 pass through.
6) Mike preamps. 48V AND 5V phantom power. So you can use both studio condenser and electret microphones. (Option for MM & MC preamps).
7) Flat, accurate, transparent conversion. Taken as read....
8) Bundled EQ and effects package. Graphically controlled parametric EQ, At least 6 bands. Available on all inputs and outputs. Compresser and reverb.
9) Tough and hardwearing. 5 year guarantee as standard.
10) Separate power supply option. Ground lift switch.
11) Balanced hybrid XLR AND unbalanced phono in and outs.
12) Beefy headphone amp with 1/4" jack.
13) Built in s/w mixer with digital ins available.
14) Intelligent -6 dB Limiter option.
15) Independent front panel controls option.
Just off the top of my head. May think of more later.
I don't know what the best is, but i am way happy with my Essence STX and modded OpAmps LME49720HA TO-99 MetalCaps & Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones...Worlds
better than my old X-Fi Extreme Music from 2005.....
The E-MU 1212's are cards I have built many systems around, the "patchmix DSP" software can be intimidating to new users at first, but once learnt it has great flexibility over all over cards.
Not recommended for gaming though, but for everything else it has balanced connections, optical in's & out's & a good software bundle (especially if you are into music creation).
Also wnat to see/listen some audiocard with ESS chip or card with digital amplifier, like tripath, gainclone
- What is your ultimate PC soundcard?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc. 7 seconds ago
- › iBasso D55 DAC/Amp...anyone used it? 40 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › Ihifi 770 & 770c Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 6 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.6.0 8 minutes ago
- › AWEI ES-Q9 Super Bass Wooden Earphones Headphones Headsets Fiber... by Mellowship
- › Koss Pro4S Full Size Studio Headphones, Black with Silver Trim by Zombie_X
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by nicholars
- › Sony MDREX10LP/BLK In-Ear Headphones by originalgusbus
- › Shure Sound Isolating Earphone SE315 Hi-Definition Micro Speaker... by acain
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 102 iE In-Ear Headphones (Silver) by Zero Decibels
- › Hidizs AP100 Portable HiFi Audio Player in Black / Silver White by YoYo JoKeR
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by heovuitinh
- › Koss KDX200 by vaziyetu
- › Brainwavz M5 by vaziyetu
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)