Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › V-Moda / M-100 NON Fanboy feedback
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

V-Moda / M-100 NON Fanboy feedback - Page 5

post #61 of 324

Still waiting on PPUs.........at this rate, the Denon Urban Ravers may be out first.


Edited by Craigster75 - 7/13/12 at 3:02pm
post #62 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post

Still waiting on PPUs.........at this rate, the Denon Urban Ravers may be out first.

Bahahaha.. true..

 

All we can do is wait though

post #63 of 324

Is there a viable alternative to the promise of the M-100 which would be a portable circumaural with accurate, detailed mids, neutral highs (neither bright, nor dark) and accentuated bass?  Truly, the only headphone I have come across that is even close to that sound signature is the PSB M4U2, but I would like even a little more bass.  The Ultrasone Signature Pro also comes close, with powerful bass that is too close to neutral, but great detail in mids and highs without being bright or sibilant.  Then there's the Denon Urban Ravers coming out soon, but I have a feeling they may have too much of a V-curve (based on Denon's press release) like most Ultrasones.  The M-Audio Q40 has the PERFECT, EXACT bass I want which is deep, powerful and doesn't bleed into the mids at all, but the dealbreaker on those was sibilance (even though they weren't bright), so I returned them.  What to do?????
 

post #64 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post

Is there a viable alternative to the promise of the M-100 which would be a portable circumaural with accurate, detailed mids, neutral highs (neither bright, nor dark) and accentuated bass?  Truly, the only headphone I have come across that is even close to that sound signature is the PSB M4U2, but I would like even a little more bass.  The Ultrasone Signature Pro also comes close, with powerful bass that is too close to neutral, but great detail in mids and highs without being bright or sibilant.  Then there's the Denon Urban Ravers coming out soon, but I have a feeling they may have too much of a V-curve (based on Denon's press release) like most Ultrasones.  The M-Audio Q40 has the PERFECT, EXACT bass I want which is deep, powerful and doesn't bleed into the mids at all, but the dealbreaker on those was sibilance (even though they weren't bright), so I returned them.  What to do?????
 

Nothing to do but wait!  Val is still aiming for a July release, and their return policy is pretty generous, so you'd probably be pretty safe getting a pair when they come out to try them.

post #65 of 324

I heard that the bass on the M100 is really overblown. People including myself will be staying away in droves if that is the case..

post #66 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

I heard that the bass on the M100 is really overblown.

 

From? As far as I know, only one head-fier (with the exception of Val, of course) has actually listened to the M-100s...and he had this to say in his latest impressions of a pre-production unit:

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
 

The bass I've heard today are much more textured, smooth and refined. I recall seeing some post in this thread about the LP2 type bass, at least in my opinion, it's not comparable - I'm not gonna be shy about this to say that I'm probably not too much of an LP2 fan but, I'm definitely like the M-80 and after tonight, M series as a whole. In fact anyone who searches my impressions of the May M-100 prototype may recall that I even mentioned that the bass was somewhat boomy but today's experience was a completely different. In fact I find it hard to accept that it's even the same iteration of the product. This is probably one of the most welcoming surprises in today's quick listen.

post #67 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post

Is there a viable alternative to the promise of the M-100 which would be a portable circumaural with accurate, detailed mids, neutral highs (neither bright, nor dark) and accentuated bass?  Truly, the only headphone I have come across that is even close to that sound signature is the PSB M4U2, but I would like even a little more bass.  The Ultrasone Signature Pro also comes close, with powerful bass that is too close to neutral, but great detail in mids and highs without being bright or sibilant.  Then there's the Denon Urban Ravers coming out soon, but I have a feeling they may have too much of a V-curve (based on Denon's press release) like most Ultrasones.  The M-Audio Q40 has the PERFECT, EXACT bass I want which is deep, powerful and doesn't bleed into the mids at all, but the dealbreaker on those was sibilance (even though they weren't bright), so I returned them.  What to do?????
 

 

Denon D5000, Ultrasone Signature Pro, Fostex TH900 should give you A LOT of bass without messing with the mids and not piercing your ears with highs... But... I wouldn't go out on the streets with woodies! LOL

If it is for home/office use, they should do.

 

Still I would love to try the new Denons and the M-100... #waiting

post #68 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

 

Denon D5000, Ultrasone Signature Pro, Fostex TH900 should give you A LOT of bass without messing with the mids and not piercing your ears with highs... But... I wouldn't go out on the streets with woodies! LOL

If it is for home/office use, they should do.

 

Still I would love to try the new Denons and the M-100... #waiting


Portability is really key for me since I do most of my listening on the go which rules out the D5000 and Fostex TH900.  The Sig Pro is still in play, but I would love to save $1,000 AND have a fantastic sounding headphone, so I suppose nothing to do but wait......

post #69 of 324
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

 

Denon D5000, Ultrasone Signature Pro, Fostex TH900 should give you A LOT of bass without messing with the mids and not piercing your ears with highs... But... I wouldn't go out on the streets with woodies! LOL

If it is for home/office use, they should do.

 

Still I would love to try the new Denons and the M-100... #waiting

 

I love the Dxxx line and also wish there was similar sounding headphones in a portable package.  If the M-100's have a similar sound sig I'd be very happy.  However, because I got disgusted pretty quickly in that other thread and didn't really get to read much, I have no idea if/how portable the M-100's truly will be?  How big are those earcups?  I took the HFI-2400's for a test drive (for other reasons) and must say that the size (and design) of those are perfect for closed portable headphones (too bad they're open).  Are the M-100's the same size as the LP/2's?  If so, I can check those out to see if (physically) I'm barking up the wrong tree (?)

post #70 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gclef View Post

 

I love the Dxxx line and also wish there was similar sounding headphones in a portable package.  If the M-100's have a similar sound sig I'd be very happy.  However, because I got disgusted pretty quickly in that other thread and didn't really get to read much, I have no idea if/how portable the M-100's truly will be?  How big are those earcups?  I took the HFI-2400's for a test drive (for other reasons) and must say that the size (and design) of those are perfect for closed portable headphones (too bad they're open).  Are the M-100's the same size as the LP/2's?  If so, I can check those out to see if (physically) I'm barking up the wrong tree (?)

They're exactly the same as the LP on the outside, other than the folding mechanism.  From pictures I've seen they don't look that big - they're definitely what one would classify as "portable."  They were clearly designed to be small enough to be worn around the neck.

post #71 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBomb77766 View Post

They're exactly the same as the LP on the outside, other than the folding mechanism.  From pictures I've seen they don't look that big - they're definitely what one would classify as "portable."  They were clearly designed to be small enough to be worn around the neck.

 

The "claws" made out of metal holding together the cup ain't resting very comfortably against your body, that much I can tell.

post #72 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

 

The "claws" made out of metal holding together the cup ain't resting very comfortably against your body, that much I can tell.


I'm wondering if the folding cups retract using some sort of spring mechanism so that the soft cups would be resting against the skin when wearing around the neck instead of the "claws"?

post #73 of 324
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBomb77766 View Post

They're exactly the same as the LP on the outside, other than the folding mechanism.  From pictures I've seen they don't look that big - they're definitely what one would classify as "portable."  They were clearly designed to be small enough to be worn around the neck.

 

Great news.  I much prefer over the ear vs. on the ear, so with a minimalist design included, the portability factor should be covered.  And along with high quality and clear sound and the right (crowd pleasing) frequency dynamics, these will be a winner and definitely worth $300.  Anything less and they'll be way overpriced and just another face in the crowd.

post #74 of 324

@Gclef

I've never seen a circumaural 'phone that I'd consider truly portable.  They're what I call transportable.  For example, I consider the M-80 a portable version of the M-100, e.g., I'd wear M-80s while I transported my M-100 in my bag with me for when I get to my destination.  No matter what anyone says, if a headphone needs an amp to be driven from a DMP, it is not portable, period.  But that's all just IMO.  I know I'm probably in the minority.

post #75 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Ham Sandwich View Post

No matter what anyone says, if a headphone needs an amp to be driven from a DMP, it is not portable, period.  But that's all just IMO.

 

I'd agree with that -- Although the M-100 isn't supposed to need an external amp to perform well from a portable player.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › V-Moda / M-100 NON Fanboy feedback