Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › USB cable and Sound Quality
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

USB cable and Sound Quality - Page 3  

post #31 of 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_charles View Post

 

Or take the analog output and digitally record that for both cables and compare - this will show any differences very easily

 

Good call. I think there is also value in a controlled listening test. 

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #32 of 783

The problem with recording and comparing the signals is that it doesn't account for the magic that Pierre claims can't be measured.  He would just claim that neither the input nor the output show the signal that he can hear.  I would like to see him claim to hear a difference on a null signal - you could DBT him against a cable that isn't connected...  tongue.gif


Edited by billybob_jcv - 7/24/12 at 7:12am
post #33 of 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

I would like to see him claim to hear a difference on a null signal - you could DBT him against a cable that isn't connected...  tongue.gif

 

Would be curious to see how he would handle a DBT at all - especially interpretation of results. For kicks, I'd want to have some control duplicates in there.

 

Of course, he would say that the testing method was invalid for some reason (unrealistic listening conditions, poor room, bad vibration control, etc.) But in the end, I'm not here to bash him. He just didn't answer the questions posed to him in a useful way - which is frustrating, if unsurprising. 


Edited by liamstrain - 7/24/12 at 7:28am
post #34 of 783

Oh my, "pierre" is Pierre Sprey, a very well known figure in aerospace & defense.  As a fellow aeronautical engineer, I'm appalled that one of our own would go down the subjective path.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/15/AR2006051501518.html

post #35 of 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griploc View Post

Why? Very simply because 1) no combination of sine waves (which are extremely simple, smooth and repetitive in shape) can begin to approximate the extraordinarily complex, sharp edged and non-repetitive waveform patterns of real musical instruments

 

This is pure BS.  We have a whole mathematical field dedicated to representing non-periodic waveforms as a combination of sine waves (refer to Fourier series Fourier transform and Fourier integrals etc) of which we build our entire digital communications world upon this very field.  If we can't represent complex waveforms with the Fourier theories this very digital computer world you live in now simply doesn't exists.


Edited by nanaholic - 7/24/12 at 7:52am
post #36 of 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanaholic View Post

 

This is pure BS.  We have a whole mathematical field dedicated to representing non-periodic waveforms as a combination of sine waves (refer to Fourier series Fourier transform and Fourier integrals etc) of which we build our entire digital communications world upon this very field.  If we can't represent complex waveforms with the Fourier theories this very digital computer world you live in now simply doesn't exists.

 

You are the 3rd person to critique that section, but your explanation is the best wink.gif

post #37 of 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Oh my, "pierre" is Pierre Sprey, a very well known figure in aerospace & defense.  As a fellow aeronautical engineer, I'm appalled that one of our own would go down the subjective path.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/15/AR2006051501518.html

 

You can be subjective without purveying nonsense, it is the promotion of nonsense by someone who should know better that is the real tragedy

post #38 of 783
Great info. I will do blind tests and record it via analogue recorder and a digital interface to hear if it is any different
post #39 of 783
The two companies i deal with are extremely well respected in their knowledge and products they provide. It is hard to swallow the last message i recieved from a man with a calabur of his experience that wasnt fully explained or accurate in terms of digital cables rather than analogue terminoligy descriptions.
post #40 of 783

FYI - here's some light reading for you...

http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/usb_20_071012.zip

post #41 of 783
I will download it after work today. Looking forward to the read
post #42 of 783

OK...apparently my responses here have triggered some discussions.

 

I have been contacted by an audiophile cable manufacturer in order to review a prototype cable they are designing. It will retail from $300 to $1,000 depending on length and connectors. They are said to be "revolutionary" in their design and I have been offered a discount to review them. I decided to order their 60 inch cable which runs for $800.00 plus shipping. I was offered an 80% discount as a "reviewer discount". I figured it wasn't much of an investment to try out something "revolutionary" so I have pulled the trigger.

 

I'll report back on it once I get it in 3 - 4 days.

post #43 of 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF View Post

OK...apparently my responses here have triggered some discussions.

 

I have been contacted by an audiophile cable manufacturer in order to review a prototype cable they are designing. It will retail from $300 to $1,000 depending on length and connectors. They are said to be "revolutionary" in their design and I have been offered a discount to review them. I decided to order their 60 inch cable which runs for $800.00 plus shipping. I was offered an 80% discount as a "reviewer discount". I figured it wasn't much of an investment to try out something "revolutionary" so I have pulled the trigger.

 

I'll report back on it once I get it in 3 - 4 days.


May I ask what the company is?

post #44 of 783
I'm guessing Cardas. LFF is a big fan.
post #45 of 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF View Post

OK...apparently my responses here have triggered some discussions.

 

I have been contacted by an audiophile cable manufacturer in order to review a prototype cable they are designing. It will retail from $300 to $1,000 depending on length and connectors. They are said to be "revolutionary" in their design and I have been offered a discount to review them. I decided to order their 60 inch cable which runs for $800.00 plus shipping. I was offered an 80% discount as a "reviewer discount". I figured it wasn't much of an investment to try out something "revolutionary" so I have pulled the trigger.

 

I'll report back on it once I get it in 3 - 4 days.

 

Cool. Be sure to provide your testing methodology and controls so others can duplicate your experiments. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
This thread is locked  

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › USB cable and Sound Quality