Hi everyone. I am using a shure se215 IEMs which i got 3 weeks ago and i love them. I am planning to buy a new pair of closed back headphones but im confused. I mostly listen to rock (all kinds of sub genres of rock). I want a punchy & correct bass but not overpowering the mids and the highs. The only model in my mind right now is the shure SRH440 coz i only have $100-150 budget range. Please give me some other options considering these parameters... Thanks in advance...
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 7/6/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/6/12
- productKoss PRODJ100tagged by System, 7/6/12
- productKoss Pro DJ 200tagged by System, 7/6/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/6/12
- productSennheiser HD-518tagged by System, 7/6/12
- productShure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphonestagged by System, 7/6/12
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 7/6/12
- productSony MDR-Z1000tagged by System, 7/6/12
- productSony MDR-ZX-700tagged by System, 7/6/12
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for a cheap but durable pair for my dad: under $100. Last post on 7/5/12 at 10:07pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Headphone for me Last post on 6/22/12 at 1:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphone under 100$ Last post on 12/11/13 at 3:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Hey, new here, came for some advice Last post on 8/14/11 at 7:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Didn't Care for XB500, what to get instead? Last post on 3/3/11 at 11:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 7/11/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 7/21/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
...need some advice for buying a new over the ear head phones...post #1 of 147/3/12 at 10:48pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 147/4/12 at 1:04am
i have the koss tbse1 which is said to sound identical to the dj100 and dj200, those are in your price range. to me, it has a slight forward mid, the bass is present but never overwhelming. the earpads can be a problem though but check them out, maybe they are what you wantpost #3 of 147/4/12 at 1:59amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by reddragon
i have the koss tbse1 which is said to sound identical to the dj100 and dj200, those are in your price range. to me, it has a slight forward mid, the bass is present but never overwhelming. the earpads can be a problem though but check them out, maybe they are what you wantpost #4 of 147/4/12 at 2:12ampost #5 of 147/4/12 at 3:09amThread Starterpost #6 of 147/4/12 at 3:16am
also go check out the sony zx700, i dont have it myself though have demoed it in best buy. at that time, i had nothing good as a source, used only my android phone and my vague memory of it was it had less bass than the xb500 next to it and the overall sound signature was fairly neutral and rich. if you can, go listen to it yourself because my memory of it was very very vague. i , however, own the z1000 (discontinued model which was 1 step up from the zx700 and was the flagship before being discontinued) and i think they may sound similar and the z1000 may just be a bit more detailed and everything may just be a bit better. if its very close to the z1000, then ill tell you to GET IT NOW!!!
Edited by reddragon - 7/4/12 at 3:20ampost #7 of 147/4/12 at 3:18amQuote:
closed provides more noise isolation and sound leakage generally and open usually allows better soundstage but will leak sound and does isolate. basically closed, you can use for portable and home. open you can only use it for home.post #8 of 147/4/12 at 4:24amThread Starterpost #9 of 147/4/12 at 6:54am
Did you read his post carefully? He was recommending you the ZX700 because he thinks it might sound like the 1000.
Closed vs open: If you're using it on the go, never ever consider open.
M50 and 440 are a bit big to carry everywhere. Try this: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-ear-pad-sealedpost #10 of 147/5/12 at 12:00amThread Starter
if we focus on performance only, ruling out the size or brand, which closed back headphone is the best option in the 100-150 price range?post #11 of 147/5/12 at 12:06amQuote:
it really depends on what you want and personal opinion... i may like A better, you may like B better, that kind of thing...post #12 of 147/5/12 at 12:18am
OP: sorry, I didn't see the budget in your first post. Have you read the article I linked you to? There are some closed cans for <$150 discussed there.
Also, what reddragon says is absolutely correct--the "best" headphone tends to be a subjective matter. If you're simply asking for the "best" at price $X, I think you're going about it the wrong way. I'd suggest starting with the article I linked, then/or searching the forums for something like "closed $100 rock"post #13 of 147/5/12 at 12:21amThread Starter
- ...need some advice for buying a new over the ear head phones...
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › -The Discovery of the New Ivery IS-1 (or Liberty 1’s) -Believe the... 55 seconds ago
- › Your top five favourite drummers - any genre of music - just name... 57 seconds ago
- › New HTC One M8 audio review 1 minute ago
- › Amarra 3.0 1 minute ago
- › Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 2 minutes ago
- › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › AMP & DAC / Sound Card to DT990 for gaming? 2 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 3 minutes ago
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)