To help all those new ones rushing on their new designs, here's my guide:
- Go here to download the Adobe Illustrator CS6 trial.
- Once it is downloaded/installed, open the image you want to edit in it.
- This means going to the file, right clicking..
- ... selecting "Open with"...
- ... and choosing to open with Adobe Illustrator CS6.
- Next, click on the image once you have opened it in the program.
- On the top you should see a button called "Image Trace"..
- Press this button, and it should automatically convert it to a vector-based, B&W image..
- ... next, just to the left of where the "image trace" button was, click on the small, square list icon...
- ... Make sure to open the advanced settings, and change them, up or down, until your image looks right..
- HINT: Changing the "Paths" value will mean that the vector will try to copy the original image more tightly.
- HINT: Changing the "Corners" value will make any edges and corners appear sharper, rather than rounded.
- HINT: Changing the "Noise" value will alter how much of the image is ignored. If you have a small line that you don't want in your logo, make the value larger, so it only includes thicker lines.
- HINT: To help with making sure its perfect, change the zoom-in percentage on the bottom left to 150% or higher, so you can see all the details.
- Lastly, once everything is ready, save it as an AI file, and when it asks if you want to "include PDF" or something, say yes.
Edited by BRSxIgnition - 8/8/12 at 5:12pm