Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › The foobar2000 resource thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The foobar2000 resource thread - Page 6

post #76 of 95

Hi guys, great forum, this looks like a place where to learn lots of things.
I've just tried fooba2k with WASAPI component and now i feel song like I've never hear before, I don't know how to explain it, but sound now seems to be "larger" here are lots of details that where cut off (I've tried switching between DS and wasapi event various times using a tool track ripped from vinyl 24 bits/96 kHz FLAC as tester, just to make sure it was a placebo effect).
In short it was great, but now my headphones produce an audible background sound, like white noise, like the sound of a cheap speaker, with a more accurare hearing, with songs of lower quality it becomes more distinct, and even without playing anything it continues, to make it stop I have to close foobar and give back the focus to windows (just by making it play any sound, for instance adjusting the volume by the slider in the bottom right).
If I set it back to DS (so using againg windows drivers to drive mi sound card) it all goes back to dead silent.
I've tried with both Sennheiser HD598 and AKG K99, for that matters, I think it's a mere software problem.
I do not use DACs or dedicated sound cards.
Has anyone experienced the same problem?

post #77 of 95
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICdl View Post

Hi guys, great forum, this looks like a place where to learn lots of things.

I've just tried fooba2k with WASAPI component and now i feel song like I've never hear before, I don't know how to explain it, but sound now seems to be "larger" here are lots of details that where cut off (I've tried switching between DS and wasapi event various times using a tool track ripped from vinyl 24 bits/96 kHz FLAC as tester, just to make sure it was a placebo effect).

In short it was great, but now my headphones produce an audible background sound, like white noise, like the sound of a cheap speaker, with a more accurare hearing, with songs of lower quality it becomes more distinct, and even without playing anything it continues, to make it stop I have to close foobar and give back the focus to windows (just by making it play any sound, for instance adjusting the volume by the slider in the bottom right).

If I set it back to DS (so using againg windows drivers to drive mi sound card) it all goes back to dead silent.

I've tried with both Sennheiser HD598 and AKG K99, for that matters, I think it's a mere software problem.

I do not use DACs or dedicated sound cards.

Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Does it have the same problem with 16/44 or 16/48 files? I know some drivers have issues with playback of high bitrate streams like 24/96. Alternatively if you have any DSP's enabled you might wanna try disabling those, they can cause weird issues with high playback rates as well.
post #78 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpo View Post


Does it have the same problem with 16/44 or 16/48 files? I know some drivers have issues with playback of high bitrate streams like 24/96. Alternatively if you have any DSP's enabled you might wanna try disabling those, they can cause weird issues with high playback rates as well.


Thanks for your response, I've disabled all the DSP's. The issue seems to appear with any song, infact it starts when the program gains the exclusive control of the device (I mean the audio card) and it ends when it is released. It is not very noisy, but is annoying, it's like static noise, if I modify the volume from windows it does some "clicky" noises. I've tried to adjust the output bitrate from 24 to 16 and vice-versa.

P.s.: Using a DAC I should bypass the mobos' sound card, shouldn't I? Futhermore, shoud I need an amply with headphones of such low impedance? (50 ohms for the senn, and 32 for the akg, which I use most).

post #79 of 95
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICdl View Post


Thanks for your response, I've disabled all the DSP's. The issue seems to appear with any song, infact it starts when the program gains the exclusive control of the device (I mean the audio card) and it ends when it is released. It is not very noisy, but is annoying, it's like static noise, if I modify the volume from windows it does some "clicky" noises. I've tried to adjust the output bitrate from 24 to 16 and vice-versa.


P.s.: Using a DAC I should bypass the mobos' sound card, shouldn't I? Futhermore, shoud I need an amply with headphones of such low impedance? (50 ohms for the senn, and 32 for the akg, which I use most).

Well if that didn't fix it, then it's probably a driver issue with something in your chain. If you're using a digital or analog output of your motherboard, then that may be the problem. Alternatively, if you're using a dedicated sound card or a USB DAC, then that may be the cause as well. If possible, try to see if something changes with any of these components out of the chain. Otherwise try searching if it is a known problem for whatever you're using.

Regarding your second question, yes a DAC does bypass the motherboards sound card, but not always. If you're using the optical or coaxial output of your MB, then the sound will still go through a digital chipset of the MB.
And regarding your final question, the opinions are quite divided on the matter if and when an amp is necessary. If you have a dedicated DAC, and the sound is loud enough then don't bother. If you're using direct analog output of your motherboard, then investing in a USB DAC which has enough volume to drive your headphones may be a good idea. A word of advice: don't overestimate the effect of better DAC's and amps.
The impedance is not a good measure of how much amplification you need. It's all about volume, if you can drive your headphones to volume levels which are 10-15dB above normal listening levels without heavy distortion then you probably won't really benefit from an amp.
post #80 of 95

Does anyone know of a plugin which enables tracks to be skipped with a graphic button, like in iTunes (see image below)?

 

 

I could only find this plugin: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_skip. It allows you to skip tracks based on a wide range of fields, such as rating or last play time. This would suffice however, ideally, I'd like something like the iTunes arrangement.

post #81 of 95
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzika View Post

Does anyone know of a plugin which enables tracks to be skipped with a graphic button, like in iTunes (see image below)?




I could only find this plugin: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_skip. It allows you to skip tracks based on a wide range of fields, such as rating or last play time. This would suffice however, ideally, I'd like something like the iTunes arrangement.

I strongly doubt that's possible. What you could however do is just delete the items out of the playlists, that'll force them to be skipped as well. Or you can put whatever you DO want to listen to in the playback queue, although the queue is for some stupid reason limited to 64 entries only.
post #82 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpo View Post

I strongly doubt that's possible. What you could however do is just delete the items out of the playlists, that'll force them to be skipped as well. Or you can put whatever you DO want to listen to in the playback queue, although the queue is for some stupid reason limited to 64 entries only.

 

True enough, I could delete the songs from my playlist.. But, while this may sound silly, I like the completeness of having all of my songs in the library (or playlist, if they're part of an album - which they almost invariably are), even if I don't play them. I don't really like things out of order or missing. If I can't get a solution like iTunes, I'll probably use that skipping plugin. Thanks.

post #83 of 95

This should be easy to answer, I know how to make a play list and save it. How do you load and play it once it has been saved?
 

post #84 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post

This should be easy to answer, I know how to make a play list and save it. How do you load and play it once it has been saved?

 

I use a playlist panel in my arrangement, so I just click on the playlist and then start a song from that playlist...

 

 

Not sure where you'd be missing the mark... Perhaps you can show us a screenshot of your setup and why you can't start a playlist.

post #85 of 95

I will try it again, as I recall when I did that it would only play one song and then stop, but I need to try it again and see for sure what happens.

post #86 of 95

Does anybody know how to get VU Meter's under foobar2000 to show up in linux using wine?

 

All it shows is black color in the UI column.


Edited by tarik2cyprian - 1/10/14 at 10:52am
post #87 of 95

Thanks PleasantSounds,

 

I followed your directions to install the VU meter and it does work in windows.

 

But when I tried this under wine using Ubuntu/Linux, the VU meter skins does not

show up and get a dark/black space in the UI Column.

 

Is there a way to fix this issue when running foobar2000 in portable mode under wine in Ubuntu Linux?

post #88 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik2cyprian View Post
 

Thanks PleasantSounds,

 

I followed your directions to install the VU meter and it does work in windows.

 

But when I tried this under wine using Ubuntu/Linux, the VU meter skins does not

show up and get a dark/black space in the UI Column.

 

Is there a way to fix this issue when running foobar2000 in portable mode under wine in Ubuntu Linux?

 

Sorry I have no experience with Linux. Perhaps someone else can help.

post #89 of 95

Anyone know if there's an option to fade between song's?  

post #90 of 95

Menu:  File -> Preferences -> Playback -> Output => Device DS : <your soundcard>

Yous should adjust fading in and out for pause, stop, seek, manual and automatic track change.


Edited by komhst - 1/13/14 at 4:15am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › The foobar2000 resource thread