Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Advice needed for my next headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advice needed for my next headphone

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Hello all.

I am currently having bit hard time deciding which pair of headphone I should get next.

 

This is my set-up:

Computer (FLAC) optical --> NFB 12 --> Matrix m-stage with LME49720HA --> Q701

 

It is not that I am hating the sound of my system. If you ask me how much I am satisfied with the sound, I would say 9/10. It is just that Q701 is my first audiophile headphone, and I would say it is curiosity that just drives me to try new headphones that have different sounds signature to that of Q701.

 

Facts :

- I listen to all sorts of genre but mainly J-pop and classical.

- There is no place for me to try out different headphones in my area

- Want headphone that would match nicely with my current set-up.

- Pretty much have enough bullets to afford anything but it seriously concerns me if the price goes over $US 500.

 

Thank you very much for your time and all comments are appreciated wink_face.gif

post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFuryUs View Post

I am currently having bit hard time deciding which pair of headphone I should get next.

This is my set-up:

Computer (FLAC) optical --> NFB 12 --> Matrix m-stage with LME49720HA --> Q701

It is not that I am hating the sound of my system. If you ask me how much I am satisfied with the sound, I would say 9/10. It is just that Q701 is my first audiophile headphone, and I would say it is curiosity that just drives me to try new headphones that have different sounds signature to that of Q701.

 

Facts :

- I listen to all sorts of genre but mainly J-pop and classical.

- There is no place for me to try out different headphones in my area

- Want headphone that would match nicely with my current set-up.

- Pretty much have enough bullets to afford anything but it seriously concerns me if the price goes over $US 500.

If you want a more bassy sound, DT990 Pro 250-Ohm

Full bass, full treble, good sound stage, clear vocals, I like calling them "Movie theater" headphones.

post #3 of 13

i would recommend a denon2k/7k as a contrast to your Q701...if u are looking for "änother taste"....

post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

If you want a more bassy sound, DT990 Pro 250-Ohm

Full bass, full treble, good sound stage, clear vocals, I like calling them "Movie theater" headphones.

When choosing my first headphones, I have spent so much time deciding between DT990 and Q701. I chose Q701 over DT990 at that time because it was better deal price-wise. I was thinking of getting DT990 for all this time then when I saw T70 and T90 launching I told myself to back off for a minute. So for now, I guess I am staying away from Beyerdynamic until I get further impression of T90. By the way, would not m-stage make Beyerdynamic headphones little too warm?

post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFuryUs View Post

By the way, would not Matrix M-Stage make Beyerdynamic headphones little too warm?

Little too warm? have no idea on that.

Not even sure if that's a bad thing anyway.

post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

Little too warm? have no idea on that.

Not even sure if that's a bad thing anyway.

My bad (bad selection of vocab).

I meant bass. Even though I have read many reviews I have never done any kind of impression so I might mix up terms around; correct me if I do so.

 

If I am not wrong Beyerdynamic headphones generally are bass monsters right?

Since I did mod (if you can call it mod) by rolling in LME49720HA to m-stage made Q701 to sound more airy(?) and more punchy bass. I have tested this out by plugging Q701 to NFB-12 and it sounded dry, cold and flat - Simply not so exciting compared m-stage with LME49720HA.

 

So I was wondering if I plug Beyerdynamic headphones into my system, it may create too much bass and sound unnatural.

Anyways Beyerdynamic surely is in my wish list and I will be getting one as soon as more impressions on T90 surfaces.

Appreciate your input!

post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post

i would recommend a denon2k/7k as a contrast to your Q701...if u are looking for "änother taste"....


Okay, I have updated my list. I am currently reading some reviews on those headphones, and yes I am looking for "another taste" biggrin.gif

post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFuryUs View Post

My bad (bad selection of vocab).

I meant bass. Even though I have read many reviews I have never done any kind of impression so I might mix up terms around; correct me if I do so.

 

If I am not wrong Beyerdynamic headphones generally are bass monsters right?

Since I did mod (if you can call it mod) by rolling in LME49720HA to m-stage made Q701 to sound more airy(?) and more punchy bass. I have tested this out by plugging Q701 to NFB-12 and it sounded dry, cold and flat - Simply not so exciting compared m-stage with LME49720HA.

 

So I was wondering if I plug Beyerdynamic headphones into my system, it may create too much bass and sound unnatural.

Anyways Beyerdynamic surely is in my wish list and I will be getting one as soon as more impressions on T90 surfaces.

Appreciate your input!

The DT990 Pro 250-ohm are the most bass monsters (& DT770 Pro 80-Ohm).

DT900 Premium 600-Ohm has a more "tamed/controlled" bass.

I've replaced my op-amps, from stock JRC2114 to LME49860NA and now AD797BR

LME49720NA, I would think would be a mild change in audio over the M-Stage stock op-amps

Current listen to Erasure-Chains of love using the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm, nice full bass (dancing in my chair).

 

I've heard the DT880 are more balanced between bass, mids, & treble.

 

But if you willing to spend for the Beyerdynamic T90, go for it.

post #9 of 13

perhaps something from sennheiser? HD600/650? Maybe a Grado?

post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

The DT990 Pro 250-ohm are the most bass monsters (& DT770 Pro 80-Ohm).

DT900 Premium 600-Ohm has a more "tamed/controlled" bass.

I've replaced my op-amps, from stock JRC2114 to LME49860NA and now AD797BR

LME49720NA, I would think would be a mild change in audio over the M-Stage stock op-amps

Current listen to Erasure-Chains of love using the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm, nice full bass (dancing in my chair).

 

I've heard the DT880 are more balanced between bass, mids, & treble.

 

But if you willing to spend for the Beyerdynamic T90, go for it.


This is another factor why I am hesitating to get T90 beside pricing & less impressions. Even though Beyerdynamic has been releasing new lineups there are so many people who prefer the old gens more. It just confuzzled me more and more every time I read their impressions. But Beyerdynamic definitely has different sounds signature than that of Q701 so I think it's just matter of time for me to choose one of their products to enjoy.

 

Also, about m-stage, I have been digging up information about how it performs with Beyerdynamic headphones, and lucky enough there are few people claiming that m-stage work great with them. So I think I can just roll in different op-amps just like you did to find the best sound that suits me.

post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 View Post

perhaps something from sennheiser? HD600/650? Maybe a Grado?

I have so many choices, don't I? confused_face.gif

It is a downside for me that I can't try them before buying them.

But yeah, I am open to all headphones but I just want to hear if they are good match with my current set-up or not, and whether or not they have siginificantly different flavour to Q701.

post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFuryUs View Post


This is another factor why I am hesitating to get T90 beside pricing & less impressions. Even though Beyerdynamic has been releasing new lineups there are so many people who prefer the old gens more. It just confuzzled me more and more every time I read their impressions. But Beyerdynamic definitely has different sounds signature than that of Q701 so I think it's just matter of time for me to choose one of their products to enjoy.

 

Also, about m-stage, I have been digging up information about how it performs with Beyerdynamic headphones, and lucky enough there are few people claiming that m-stage work great with them. So I think I can just roll in different op-amps just like you did to find the best sound that suits me.

Talk to others who do op-amp rolling (swapping) with the Martix M-Stage, find out which op-amps to stay away from or the ones that work best.

I use AD797BRs in my Essence STX and they work great, but the AD797 series are consider "finicky".

LME49860NAs are the same op-amp as the LME49720NA, but the LME49860NAs have a better voltage range, and only $5 each.

LME49990 (SOIC) seem to be well liked, but the op-amps have to be soldered in pairs on to a Dual SOIC to DIP-8 adapter.

 

Check the Head-fi "op-amp" thread.

post #13 of 13

I suggest staying away from Op amp rolling with the matrix, and keeping the stock one :) Personal experience tells me there is nothing to be gained. But there are things to be lost, such as one's sanity.

 

I'll PM with a blog post explaining why.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Advice needed for my next headphone