Is this a good one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047MX2F2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00? thanks in advance.
- productApogee Duet 2tagged by System, 7/5/12
- productBenchmark - DAC-1 PRE - Preamplifier / DAC / Headphone Amptagged by System, 7/5/12
- productCEntrance DACport USB Headphone Amptagged by System, 7/5/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 7/5/12
- productHalide Design DAC HDtagged by System, 7/5/12
- productMartin Custom Audio MS1tagged by System, 7/5/12
- productMetrum Acoustics Quadtagged by System, 7/5/12
Related Forum Threads
- USB DAC made in USA? Last post on 9/16/12 at 2:42am in Computer Audio
- audio interface or DAC Last post on 7/11/12 at 10:46am in Dedicated Source Components
- DAC woes Last post on 9/20/12 at 12:54am in Dedicated Source Components
- Will I see an improvement in SQ by upgrading to a USB DAC for my laptop's audio? Last post on 3/29/13 at 2:23am in Computer Audio
- DAC to pair with TubeMagic A1 & DT880s Last post on 1/8/13 at 12:04pm in Computer Audio
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 6/26/15
NOTE: This is my first review and I'm a budding audio enthusiast. This is no pro review, just a newb trying to put audio nuances to words. These are my first pair of Balanced Armatures and I am...
Background In about 1990, when Joseph Grado was designing his HMP-1 Holographic Scalera Scanner (perfectly-matched pair of microphones for recording), he needed some detailed, neutral...
Creative's Sound Blaster E1 If you want to cover your bases with a do-all headphone accessory, the E1 is a good start. Affordable, well featured, inexpensive, the E1 is Creative's entry-level...
Firstly like to thank Chuck from 1964 Ears for organising the Pendulumic Stance S1+ headphones for this review. Pendulumic is a relatively new company in the headphone world, and...
Introduction: RHA is a fairly new audio company that has made quite a splash recently with their MA750 and T10 IEMs. RHA has recently announced their new T20 IEM which is due to be released...
Looking to buy a DAC
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Not so much. especially for the price. Try listening first. At the $500 mark I would be looking at Ross Martin, Apogee Duet 2 (Mac only), Centrance Dac Port, used Benchmark Dac 1. I don't think the Async implementation is done very well on this dac and its overall sound quality was not as good as the aforementioned dacs.
Although I have not heard it, I would put the Metrum quad and Halide Dac on my list. Here is a list of dacs, albeit incomplete, to help with your research.
Edited by bixby - 7/3/12 at 8:38am
I'd check out the ODAC before you drop 500 bucks on something. It might suite you just fine. If not, it's a good piece to have around to compare your more expensive purchases against :)
That is correct. Didn't know you needed those things, sorry mate. I forget they exist because nearly all my listening is done with digital files.
I have heard good things about bifrost.. Not so great things about schiit in general though.
If I were going to try something blind, I would put my money on the Halide Dac. First I think they have a 30 or 60 day money back program. They are in the US and have been around for a while. I own their Halide Bridge and it is a very good piece of equipment. I respect the designers and have had good communication with them. They are responsive and care about the customer.
This dac uses one of the better implementations of async USB, has a great USB cable and RCA cable built in and is easily moved around if using with a laptop.
And it does not hurt when the dac got a very good review in a dac shootout over at Enjoy the Music (I think, that is the ezine).
Good Luck with whatever you decide.
that's the problem then isn't it. And even if they do most don't lend out overnight anymore like the old days of boutique audio dealers. Now all we have are big box guys who can't even spell dac.
im using a hd650 with a valhalla. my sources are a ps3 and squeezebox touch but i also want to connect my cable box to the dac as well.
- Looking to buy a DAC
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread 36 seconds ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 57 seconds ago
- › Tidal Lossless Streaming 1 minute ago
- › Bose QC25 vs Beats Studio Wireless 2 minutes ago
- › Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Appreciation & Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 3 minutes ago
- › Q701 impressions thread 4 minutes ago
- › What's a good DAC for my DarkVoice 336SE ? 4 minutes ago
- › How to Compare Headphones - Factoring out loudness 5 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 6 minutes ago
- › Sony XBA-10/N Gold | Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones (Japanese... by LikeABell
- › Joseph Grado HPA-1 by kayandjohn
- › Creative Sound Blaster E1 Portable Headphone Amplifier with... by Evshrug
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1+ Bluetooth Wireless Headphones by pformagg
- › RHA T20 by Cotnijoe
- › VE Zen by boneofimba
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by xkonfuzed
- › TCG Audio TRD3+ Desktop HeadAmp & 32/384DAC by YoYo JoKeR
- › Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 in-ear headphones by FYLegend
- › Woo Audio WA5 LE by Nosbig
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)