Is this a good one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047MX2F2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00? thanks in advance.
- productApogee Duet 2tagged by System, 7/5/12
- productBenchmark - DAC-1 PRE - Preamplifier / DAC / Headphone Amptagged by System, 7/5/12
- productCEntrance DACport USB Headphone Amptagged by System, 7/5/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 7/5/12
- productHalide Design DAC HDtagged by System, 7/5/12
- productMartin Custom Audio MS1tagged by System, 7/5/12
- productMetrum Acoustics Quadtagged by System, 7/5/12
Related Forum Threads
- USB DAC made in USA? Last post on 9/16/12 at 2:42am in Computer Audio
- audio interface or DAC Last post on 7/11/12 at 10:46am in Dedicated Source Components
- DAC woes Last post on 9/20/12 at 12:54am in Dedicated Source Components
- Will I see an improvement in SQ by upgrading to a USB DAC for my laptop's audio? Last post on 3/29/13 at 2:23am in Computer Audio
- DAC to pair with TubeMagic A1 & DT880s Last post on 1/8/13 at 12:04pm in Computer Audio
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 6/26/15
Before I start this review, I would like to thank Creative for sending out a Roar 2 unit to me. I’m quite surprised myself that prior to this, I had never heard a Creative product before, despite...
The Rockmaster OE (along with its sister product the Rockmaster IE) is a new offering from Encore that explores crowdfunding as a way to produce high quality yet low priced items. They can do this...
The Rockmaster IE is a new offering from Encore that explores crowdfunding as a way to produce high quality yet low priced items. They can do this by selecting OEM manufacturers and customizing the...
About Me I am in my fifties and have loved music and music equipment all my life. From about 8 years old, I had my first exposure to my mother’s reel to reel tape recorder. A few years later, I...
Introduction: I was asked by Brainwavz’/GPGSHK’s Pandora whether I was interested in reviewing their latest Brainwavz product, the Kidwavz KV100 that was especially designed for kids, so I...
Looking to buy a DAC
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Not so much. especially for the price. Try listening first. At the $500 mark I would be looking at Ross Martin, Apogee Duet 2 (Mac only), Centrance Dac Port, used Benchmark Dac 1. I don't think the Async implementation is done very well on this dac and its overall sound quality was not as good as the aforementioned dacs.
Although I have not heard it, I would put the Metrum quad and Halide Dac on my list. Here is a list of dacs, albeit incomplete, to help with your research.
Edited by bixby - 7/3/12 at 8:38am
I'd check out the ODAC before you drop 500 bucks on something. It might suite you just fine. If not, it's a good piece to have around to compare your more expensive purchases against :)
That is correct. Didn't know you needed those things, sorry mate. I forget they exist because nearly all my listening is done with digital files.
I have heard good things about bifrost.. Not so great things about schiit in general though.
If I were going to try something blind, I would put my money on the Halide Dac. First I think they have a 30 or 60 day money back program. They are in the US and have been around for a while. I own their Halide Bridge and it is a very good piece of equipment. I respect the designers and have had good communication with them. They are responsive and care about the customer.
This dac uses one of the better implementations of async USB, has a great USB cable and RCA cable built in and is easily moved around if using with a laptop.
And it does not hurt when the dac got a very good review in a dac shootout over at Enjoy the Music (I think, that is the ezine).
Good Luck with whatever you decide.
that's the problem then isn't it. And even if they do most don't lend out overnight anymore like the old days of boutique audio dealers. Now all we have are big box guys who can't even spell dac.
im using a hd650 with a valhalla. my sources are a ps3 and squeezebox touch but i also want to connect my cable box to the dac as well.
- Looking to buy a DAC
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › New Zealand Headphone Meet MK II, 2015 Ed. 34 seconds ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype) 1 minute ago
- › Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp 2 minutes ago
- › Havi b3 pro 1 thread 2.0 2 minutes ago
- › Rational reasons to love vinyl 3 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 4 minutes ago
- › BEHRINGER SRC2496 24-Bit/96 kHz A/D-D/A & Sample Rate Converter 5 minutes ago
- › Questyle QP1 6 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster Roar 2 Portable NFC Bluetooth Speaker with... by lin0003
- › Encore RockMaster OE by Armaegis
- › Encore RockMaster IE by Armaegis
- › Final Audio Design Heaven VII by AndrewH13
- › Brainwavz Kidwavz KV100 Childrens Bluetooth Volume Limited Headphones by HiFiChris
- › Brainwavz Jive by Hisoundfi
- › Soundpeats Qy7 Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports/running... by BloodyPenguin
- › Cozoy Aegis Portable 24/192 DAC/Amp by Baycode
- › OPPO HA-2 by ClieOS
- › Westone UM Pro 30 by Voyageur
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2