So, I am planning on getting HD650's very soon. My current setup is a Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 DAC with an OPA 627 Opamp and a GE5670 tube. I've read in a lot of places these headphones are hard to drive if you want them to sound right, and I don't want to spend 500 dollars and find out my amp can't drive them. My source is my computers SPDIF output. How many hours of Burn in would you all recommend.
Related Forum Threads
- FiiO E11 will it power sennheiser hd 650's Last post on 9/10/12 at 7:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best budget amp for the hd650 Last post on 11/25/12 at 2:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Pleased with new HD 650 with Objective 2 Amp, but have a question about break-In time Last post on 8/21/12 at 2:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Amping HD650's Last post on 7/7/12 at 9:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- bright fun dac to pair with hd650 Last post on 9/20/11 at 1:45am in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I bought these (at £150) expecting much but was shocked by how far they fell short of even competency. They are very uncomfortable, badly designed and the sound is really nothing special. Whatever...
Can’t believe nobody has commented on the lack of an extremely basic feature that exists on 99% of MP3 players but missing from this and many other Fiio units — which is the ability to bookmark....
Advanced AcousticWerkes Q: Deceptively Small The AAW Q is an upcoming IEM from Singaporean company Advanced AcousticWerkes, scheduled for release in the first week of September. It boasts a new...
Now that I've heard all the ADEL modules from Asius technologies(what has been released since 8/16), it's even harder to pick a favorite. Some days I want to tune the sound to my unique anatomy,...
HD650 Setup to be!post #1 of 177/1/12 at 10:07pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 177/1/12 at 10:08pmThread Starterpost #3 of 177/21/12 at 5:09pm
Try the Matrix M stage, Schiit Asgard or Schiit Valhalla. Bottlehead crack is in your budget too, but it's DIY. I've had the Asgard before and loved it, but it does get hot enough to make smores! LOL JK, it did one burn the fuc* out of my finger though.post #4 of 177/21/12 at 5:35pm
I heard my currently for sale HD650 with 5 different amps including TubeMagic D1 at the recent NYC meet and TubeMagic and HD650 are made for each other while with others, some far beyond your budget, they were lacking deep bass classical and jazz demand. Be aware that HD650 are very picky with pairingpost #5 of 177/21/12 at 5:56pmQuote:Originally Posted by olegausany
I heard my currently for sale HD650 with 5 different amps including TubeMagic D1 at the recent NYC meet and TubeMagic and HD650 are made for each other while with others, some far beyond your budget, they were lacking deep bass classical and jazz demand. Be aware that HD650 are very picky with pairing
Picky as far as getting the maximum out of your HD650 perhaps, but I still liked them with my embarrasingly modest E9. Although I've just moved into the HE-500, when I get my O2, I'll be interested to try the HD650s with it as well.post #6 of 177/21/12 at 6:06pmQuote:
I heard both HE-500 and HD650 with O2 at the meet i mentioned before and HD650 were lacking deep bass I was looking for and they have it with TubeMagic D1 and I prefer my D7000 over HE-500 with O2. I also heard HE-500 with EF-6 but they had overpowering bass
Edited by olegausany - 7/21/12 at 6:08pmpost #7 of 177/21/12 at 7:39pmQuote:
I'm sure it's better than my E9.post #8 of 177/22/12 at 12:10ampost #9 of 177/22/12 at 2:54am
Maybe? Do you have the HE-500 and have run them with an O2? I'm not sure I want tubes with my Orthos. The HD650 would probably love a hybrid amp, though.
We'll just have to see if I feel the same as you do about the amp, I guess.
Edited by disastermouse - 7/22/12 at 2:55ampost #10 of 177/22/12 at 12:13pmQuote:
I DON'T OWN HE-500 but at the recent NYC meet I HEARD THEM with O2 and CTH (Compact Tube Hybrid) with CCA tube ( i like this tube over 2 others i tried) amps and with both of them they didn't have enough sub-bass comparing to my D7000post #11 of 177/22/12 at 12:24pmQuote:
I have the HE-500/400 and the 650. To my ears a tube/hybrid amp is the way to go. All of the mentioned HPs sound magnificent off of the Lyr and EF-5. The O2 sounds dry to my ears and lacks the body, sound stage and instrument separation that the tubes provide.post #12 of 177/22/12 at 12:33pmQuote:
Absolutely agree with you about O2 but unfortunately never heard Lyr so can't commentpost #13 of 177/22/12 at 7:29pmpost #14 of 177/23/12 at 4:30ampost #15 of 177/23/12 at 7:31amQuote:
I haven't heard the D1, but I have to agree with all this. Granted some people really do prefer SS with HD650, and I am simply not one of them, though I suspect more "colored" SS amps such as those at the higher end are preferred by those that do. Personally however, HD650...and all Sennheisers and Beyers, really, shine most on tubes. Not everyone agrees, but it's a popular way of thinking.Quote:
Agreed. O2 is an excellent analytical amp. It's strength is also its failing. It measures similarly to studio equipment. Dead flat and neutral. Which subjectively rarely actually sounds good. It just makes for a very useful production tool. However I really like the O2 with my D5ks. I think they're a great pairing. HE-400 I prefer, strongly, on my Lyr, however I can also enjoy them on the O2 in a different way. It brings out the techical performance of the ortho drivers over their organic abilities. HD650 I simply can not stand on the O2. Not because it's poor performance, but because it turns HD650 into such an analytical studio monitor I can't stand it. On a technical level it likely enhances their actual measured performance. On a listening level it makes me feel like I should be sitting in a dark padded room getting paid to listen to them. It's a tribute to HD650 that they can become so analytical when amplified analytically, but it's not the way I choose to enjoy them. Tubes, specifically in my case Lyr, can give them all the smooth musicality that HD650 is loved for. Same goes for HE-400. The tubes just give them that organic realism that puts them over the edge of just "good headphones" and into "sounds like real music."
Everyone has different preferences. Folks that prefer K70x, HD800, etc may well prefer HD650 when on SS. Folks that prefer HD650 on tubes would probably find HD800 and K702 close to intolerable on anything. I like my K702s a lot...but they also take a back seat to the others.
Second order harmonic distortion. However the ear/brain picks it up and understand it, it picks it up as more instrument separation in most cases. I'm no physicist, audiologist, or neurologist, but it is my understanding that the effect is similar to what happens to sound waves traveling over distance through air of varying densities, and after bouncing, redirecting off objects in their path. People always associate neutral analytical as "perfect to what's on the recording", but tend to ignore that what's on the recording is unlikely to be what you'd hear at a live performance after the sound waves get done being heavily distorted by air and environment. So "tube distortion" actually tends to be closer to the real world distortion of sound waves getting to your ears after resonating out of an instrument body or vocal chords.
Of course it depends on the tubes as to what "distance" the effect places you from the source.Quote:
Tubes are made out of Justin Beiber fansites? I did not know that. Fascinating!
- HD650 Setup to be!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Shure SE215 vs MEE audio Pinnacle P1 19 seconds ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 26 seconds ago
- › Focal Elear - Impressions Thread 38 seconds ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 1 minute ago
- › LH Labs' gorgeous Vi Dac ( Tube + SS outputs ) 1 minute ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 1 minute ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 3 minutes ago
- › SABRE ES9038PRO 3 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 4 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic... 4 minutes ago
- › Flare Audio R1 Headphones by Mr Vicarious
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by greencalx
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes Q by ustinj
- › Asius Technologies ADEL™ G1 Auto Modules by Ike1985
- › AAW Nebula Two Hybrid In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › Shure SE215 by Nick Walters
- › E-mu Teak Headphones by AT Khan
- › Marshall Mode In-Ear Headphones, Black/White (4090939) by PopZeus
- › Pro-Ject Debut Carbon by davehg
- › Brainwavz Jive by Lurk650
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...