Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Sr325is vs RS2i vs PS500
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Sr325is vs RS2i vs PS500 - Page 2

post #16 of 47

I've just placed an order for the Headamp GS-X so when it's ready to be shipped, I'll buy some PS500's 

post #17 of 47

I decided to order the PS500 today which I should have in a few days, I was going to wait until the GS-X I've ordered was ready to be shipped but I'm expecting it to sound good with my Pico Slim + K-01. I got a special deal with my local audio shop so I can't return it, I also haven't had chance to feel if it's comfortable or not, however I did get to wear the SR125 and it was extremely comfortable.

post #18 of 47
Thread Starter 
Okay everyone, my final decision was to go for the RS2i a few days ago. My dad and I dropped by the audio specialty store near our house and the owner Tim decided to give us a $150 discount on them since my dad found a home theater system from B&W that he really liked in the store, so he decided to pay for both the system and my headphones as a gift for helping him weed my back yard that I was just weeding since it we were gonna get fined by the county for fire hazard (5.3 acres by hand a few weeks back). I still got $500, so now I'm gonna see how my friend's PS500 is this august. I'm lovin my RS2i at the moment while listening and watching music videos on youtube while writing this at the moment. smily_headphones1.gif
post #19 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7un4 View Post

Okay everyone, my final decision was to go for the RS2i a few days ago. My dad and I dropped by the audio specialty store near our house and the owner Tim decided to give us a $150 discount on them since my dad found a home theater system from B&W that he really liked in the store, so he decided to pay for both the system and my headphones as a gift for helping him weed my back yard that I was just weeding since it we were gonna get fined by the county for fire hazard (5.3 acres by hand a few weeks back). I still got $500, so now I'm gonna see how my friend's PS500 is this august. I'm lovin my RS2i at the moment while listening and watching music videos on youtube while writing this at the moment. smily_headphones1.gif


You lucky, lucky, lucky duck.  Sounds like you also have a very awesome and understanding father (my dad would murder me if he found out the amount of cash I shelled out for my audio gear).  I'm happy for ya!

 

Maybe you can use the 500 to upgrade your source as well?  (I sincerely hope you aren't playing youtube music or 128kbps mp3 as a permanent source.)


Edited by esn89 - 7/2/12 at 2:03pm
post #20 of 47
Thread Starter 
Sounds like a much better idea. I should definitely look into a decent desktop amp and since I am no audiophile, I have no idea what a DAC is though I hear about those things everywhere. I'm currently eyeing the Schiit Asgard, but any better amp for the money out there, I'm all ears.biggrin.gif
post #21 of 47

Don't be so concerned about the desktop amp just yet, as Grado headphones can kind of "sneak by" without needing one.

 

A DAC is a digital to analog converter.  So on your computer, music and audio is stored as data.  Basically it is a bunch of 1s and 0s.  110010100101 for example.  So the job of the DAC is to translate those ones and zeroes into analog, which is the sound waves which we are able to transmit to our headphones and listen to.

 

So you can begin to see the weakest link right?  Depending on how well your DAC performs you might not get an accurate representation of the song.  (Think about having someone hand-write and copy of a book for you, if they have messy writing, or just suck at writing in general....well you going to have to squint your eyes to read).

 

Also the source, meaning youtube and mp3s and what not.  Because those are stored as data, depending on how much data they store can also reflect play back.  Digital music is always being compressed to make it a reasonable size for computers, and mp3 players such as ipods.  (It won't make sense to have a song that's 50mb sitting in your ipod) That's where compression comes in, that 50mb gets squashed down and compressed into a 6mb version, which is a "taste" of the song.  Not the entire picture. 
For this, there isn't anything you can do to restore the loss quality.  What you want to do is search for some 320kbps mp3s and or even .flacs.  You will hear a difference!

post #22 of 47
Thread Starter 
So Grados don't really need an amp even at the level above 325is? Wow, that's pretty cool. The info on DAC you just described is quite fascinating. There really IS alot to learn in this high end audio world. I'm thinking of starting a family owned headphones store to show everyone what they're really missing. I don't know any store like that in my county that carries more than just 2 headphone brands. Best Buy promotes mostly beats by dre *vomits* and Bose *more vomits*. Sony and Sennheiser are the only note worthy I've tested there. They don't even carry Shures where I live anymore but I heard some great things about those. Soul by Ludacris I haven't tried but I have my doubts about them for the same reason I do towards beats. Next subject. I do listen to flacs and compare them to mp3 with just the Sr80i and I feel the difference. I don't plan to sell my Sr80i because I like to show people I meet who want to taste high end sound what it supposed to sound like. More like a showcase to promote Grado as a whole. My RS2i's is just my serious headphone for pure audio nirvana. My plane/travel buddy is my Audiotechnica ATH WS70 which I feel is more stylish than the beats line. Amazing noise isolation and sound, but abysmal comfort. I think I will stop ranting now.rolleyes.gif
post #23 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7un4 View Post

So Grados don't really need an amp even at the level above 325is? Wow, that's pretty cool. The info on DAC you just described is quite fascinating. There really IS alot to learn in this high end audio world. I'm thinking of starting a family owned headphones store to show everyone what they're really missing. I don't know any store like that in my county that carries more than just 2 headphone brands. Best Buy promotes mostly beats by dre *vomits* and Bose *more vomits*. Sony and Sennheiser are the only note worthy I've tested there. They don't even carry Shures where I live anymore but I heard some great things about those. Soul by Ludacris I haven't tried but I have my doubts about them for the same reason I do towards beats. Next subject. I do listen to flacs and compare them to mp3 with just the Sr80i and I feel the difference. I don't plan to sell my Sr80i because I like to show people I meet who want to taste high end sound what it supposed to sound like. More like a showcase to promote Grado as a whole. My RS2i's is just my serious headphone for pure audio nirvana. My plane/travel buddy is my Audiotechnica ATH WS70 which I feel is more stylish than the beats line. Amazing noise isolation and sound, but abysmal comfort. I think I will stop ranting now.rolleyes.gif

 

To me, I don't think amping benefits Grado (some may disagree) I find that the quality of the DAC does though.  If you are leaning towards getting a DAC, (onboard ones on motherboards suck, just like if you are gaming, you wouldn't use an onboard video-card) maybe you can check out the: iBasso D-zero, or the iBasso Anaconda.  Or if you are feeling rich you can grab the higher end ones from Pico or The Predator by RSA.

 

As for your store, I really wish you luck in that area.  I look forward to being able to visit if it does happen.  And I agree with you, Best Buy selections are horrible.  Those headphones that are endorsed by famous artists are endorsed for a reason; they weren't pushed by Dr Dre, no one would pay 300 for a piece of junk.

post #24 of 47

neverd heard the ps 500s

 

 

the RS2i/RS2 i've never seemed to like. they've all seemed bright, even harsher than the 325 at times on the highs (this was on 3 different pairs in different setups in different stores). i didn't like them one bit tbh, just a little more warmth on the midrange vs the 325. might have been lack of burn-in, or poor sources, but i never liked it too much.

 

the 325 can definitely be very bright and shrill at times, but only on poorer recordings or louder volumes, they sound great otherwise. less warm than either of the rs series. can sound rather grainy depending on amp

 

i'd go for the ps 500s since every1 seems to love them. another option would be just going for the rs1i (best choice, awesome midrange, better detail, great clean highs, nice bass way better than the rs2/325)


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 7/3/12 at 2:50am
post #25 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

 another option would be just going for the rs1i (best choice, awesome midrange, better detail, great clean highs, nice bass way better than the rs2/325)

I had the chance to listen to PS500 & RS1i at the same time.

The RS1i is color, and a darker than PS500. 

I just prefer the PS500 over RS1i, because it sounds more brilliant, truly reflect the music that you are listening to.

And PS500 is cheaper, and the body build is sturdier. 

post #26 of 47

I was able to collect the PS500's today and I have to say I'm very impressed, I'm not a bassy kind of person but I like PS500's bass, it's nice and deep but not IMO boomy [ if there's such a word ]. I also find the sound to be clear and open. One other thing I was able to do with them was listen to music  quite a bit louder than I normally do without it being fatiguing. The amp + source I used the PS500's with was the Pico Slim + K-01 and I listened to two albums, " The Best of R.E.M.in times 1988-2003 " and Mike Oldfield " Tubular Bells 3 " . The last song on the Tubular Bells 3 album is called "Far above the Clouds" and I've heard it a lot of times but the PS500's seem to bring it alive, especially when the tubular bells kick in. "Imitation of Life" on the R.E.M. album is one of my favourite songs and again it sounded truly amazing with the PS500's. Not sure what to expect when I have the BHSE driving my SR-009's with the source being the K-01.

post #27 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7un4 View Post

So Grados don't really need an amp even at the level above 325is? Wow, that's pretty cool. The info on DAC you just described is quite fascinating. There really IS alot to learn in this high end audio world. I'm thinking of starting a family owned headphones store to show everyone what they're really missing. I don't know any store like that in my county that carries more than just 2 headphone brands. Best Buy promotes mostly beats by dre *vomits* and Bose *more vomits*. Sony and Sennheiser are the only note worthy I've tested there. They don't even carry Shures where I live anymore but I heard some great things about those. Soul by Ludacris I haven't tried but I have my doubts about them for the same reason I do towards beats. Next subject. I do listen to flacs and compare them to mp3 with just the Sr80i and I feel the difference. I don't plan to sell my Sr80i because I like to show people I meet who want to taste high end sound what it supposed to sound like. More like a showcase to promote Grado as a whole. My RS2i's is just my serious headphone for pure audio nirvana. My plane/travel buddy is my Audiotechnica ATH WS70 which I feel is more stylish than the beats line. Amazing noise isolation and sound, but abysmal comfort. I think I will stop ranting now.rolleyes.gif

 

Well... many of them "don't really need an amp"... but... they sound so-o-o much better with one (a low impedence, high current output amp).  The amp removes the strident highs, adds ambience and soundstage, and controls the lows... especially with the PS1000's, and RS-1's (and likely others).  

post #28 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

neverd heard the ps 500s


the RS2i/RS2 i've never seemed to like. they've all seemed bright, even harsher than the 325 at times on the highs (this was on 3 different pairs in different setups in different stores). i didn't like them one bit tbh, just a little more warmth on the midrange vs the 325. might have been lack of burn-in, or poor sources, but i never liked it too much.

the 325 can definitely be very bright and shrill at times, but only on poorer recordings or louder volumes, they sound great otherwise. less warm than either of the rs series. can sound rather grainy depending on amp

i'd go for the ps 500s since every1 seems to love them. another option would be just going for the rs1i (best choice, awesome midrange, better detail, great clean highs, nice bass way better than the rs2/325)
Since I was lucky enough to have my dad repay me for the 5.3 acre weeding in my yard, I already have the RS2i's and still have my $500 I was going to dish out. Do I have to be a skilled audiophile to tell the difference between the RS1i and RS2i? If so, I better start training my ears to the point of noticing more detail. It helps since my uncle is lending me his Grace Design M903 amplifier to welcome me " Into the audiophile world" as he said it. I'm still gonna save up and while doing so wait to test out the PS500 from one of my friends when he gets it this August.biggrin.gif
post #29 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7un4 View Post


Since I was lucky enough to have my dad repay me for the 5.3 acre weeding in my yard, I already have the RS2i's and still have my $500 I was going to dish out. Do I have to be a skilled audiophile to tell the difference between the RS1i and RS2i? If so, I better start training my ears to the point of noticing more detail. It helps since my uncle is lending me his Grace Design M903 amplifier to welcome me " Into the audiophile world" as he said it. I'm still gonna save up and while doing so wait to test out the PS500 from one of my friends when he gets it this August.biggrin.gif

 

Yes the rs-1 and the rs-2 is a noted difference, mostly for me in soundstage and overall sound fullness. The signature however remains very much the same.

 

Keep in mind that the grace amplifier must be used through a direct out line, putting it through another headphone jack (aka another headphone amp) will not improve the sound quality. 

 

With that 500 dollars I would HIGHLY recommend purchasing a Dacport Lx dac (250-300 dollars) and a gilmore lite amp (used for about 230). That combination with the rs-2 pairs incredibly well and will compare very well to much more expensive setups. Remember to always use flac files!

post #30 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguru View Post

 

Yes the rs-1 and the rs-2 is a noted difference, mostly for me in soundstage and overall sound fullness. The signature however remains very much the same.

 

Keep in mind that the grace amplifier must be used through a direct out line, putting it through another headphone jack (aka another headphone amp) will not improve the sound quality. 

 

With that 500 dollars I would HIGHLY recommend purchasing a Dacport Lx dac (250-300 dollars) and a gilmore lite amp (used for about 230). That combination with the rs-2 pairs incredibly well and will compare very well to much more expensive setups. Remember to always use flac files!

 

 

Agreed.  Very well said.  Go invest in a DAC and the GIlmore Lite amp if you can find one.  (if you want to have a "stack" and look cool, get the Cambridge DACMagic ;)   it will cost more though).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Sr325is vs RS2i vs PS500