I think it would be interesting to know how many dedicated DACs (not including iPods, laptops, etc., of course) people here have in their homes, as well as how many DACs they've owned in their lives. Any quantitative data (and qualitative impressions, too) are welcome!
Related Forum Threads
- ART Legato and BNC to RCA: impedance matching-related question Last post on 6/3/13 at 7:13am in Dedicated Source Components
- Best-sounding source for amp/speakers? Last post on 8/28/12 at 5:17pm in Dedicated Source Components
- SPDIF connection between PC and DAC... Last post on 8/27/12 at 8:46am in Dedicated Source Components
- Computer/DAC vs. DAP as source component Last post on 8/26/12 at 2:12am in Dedicated Source Components
- Help finding DAC for Stax Lambda Pro Last post on 8/24/12 at 11:27pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Sennheiser has launched an excellent closed back over ear headphone which has the premium sound of the legendary hd 5 series but instead of the traditional open back design this has a closed back...
I was never a really big fan of on-ear or supra-aural headphones in the past. They always seemed to be uncomfortable or not offer a proper seal granting the full sound or decent noise isolation....
This has been called beats for audiophiles. It has great sound, is neutral and detailed, but they are glossy and fairly fashionable. In general, I like a V shape and listen to hardcore, metal,...
Disclaimer I got this unit as part of New Zealand tour arranged by @Brooko & @Andykong, thank you very much for including me in this tour :) Introduction I am just another music fans in this...
Ok so it is 2017 and I'm late to the party but I just got this headphone from Singapore Jaben because it seems they were clearing their stock. I got this for a whooping $34.90 SGD!! When I looked...
How many dedicated DACs are in your household?
Poll Results: How many dedicated DACs have you owned in your life?
66 Total Votespost #1 of 226/30/12 at 11:48pmThread Starter
15% (10)6 or more
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 227/1/12 at 12:15am
no idea how many i've owned in my life, but I have 6 in my possession now. 2 x buffalo II, 1 x ibasso D10 and 3 x ackodac AKD12P. to be fair the last 3 are being built into one 6 channel unit to feed 6 power amps for a set of 3 way speakers with software/digital crossover and convolver.post #3 of 227/1/12 at 12:27ampost #4 of 227/1/12 at 9:51ampost #5 of 227/10/12 at 12:19amQuote:Originally Posted by qusp
no idea how many i've owned in my life, but I have 6 in my possession now. 2 x buffalo II, 1 x ibasso D10 and 3 x ackodac AKD12P. to be fair the last 3 are being built into one 6 channel unit to feed 6 power amps for a set of 3 way speakers with software/digital crossover and convolver.
WOW that's a lot..
I only have the XDA-1 and a Buffalo III. Working on the AckoDac now..post #6 of 227/10/12 at 6:43ampost #7 of 227/11/12 at 5:55pmpost #8 of 227/19/12 at 2:33pm
its probably the definition of insanity - next one makes 13? through the years and most still alive (one Entec makes a clicking noise as its constantly seeking a coax input)
AMD, ART DI/o, Entec 205, old AN with tube output and tube regulation (nice!), Monitor 02, Zhaolu D2, Shek, Emotiva, Fubar II, Konnek6, Padden w. transformer outs, Lite AH, RM on order - its kinda like lady Marcos and the shoes thing...
Edited by karlsonklam - 7/19/12 at 2:40pmpost #9 of 227/19/12 at 2:57pmpost #10 of 227/21/12 at 7:07pm
Still have the three I used in a comparison review 9 months ago (Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC (v1); Meier StageDAC; Schiit Bifrost in order of purchase).
I rotate them through my speaker and headphone rig, leaving one surplus at any given time.
Contemplating whether any worthwhile improvement over these can be had for a reasonable price and, if so, what? Other than the usual suspects mentioned on head-fi, have considered Metrum (controversial; enthusiastically supported by purchasers but criticised on technical grounds by others).
Await release and well-done reviews of Schiit Gungir with interest.post #11 of 227/21/12 at 10:42pmpost #12 of 227/24/12 at 2:18pmpost #13 of 227/26/12 at 8:25ampost #14 of 227/26/12 at 8:46pmpost #15 of 227/26/12 at 8:53pm
I currently have an iBasso D10, a nuForce Icon Mobile, and 2 Frontier Tangos (studio Lightpipe DACs). So I answered 4. I also have a pair of Gadget Labs 824s, but since they use a proprietary PCI card I think they don't count as dedicated.
- How many dedicated DACs are in your household?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 4 seconds ago
- › The Stax Thread III 18 seconds ago
- › Bluedio Victory Bluetooth and Optical Headphone Review by mark2410 44 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman HE-400i (LIKE NEW) + UPGRADE: Brainwavz HM5 Earpads 3 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 5 minutes ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 5 minutes ago
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 5 minutes ago
- › New Burson Conductor - V2 and V2+ 6 minutes ago
- › RHA MA-600i Review 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by Sam20
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by crabdog
- › PSB M4U 1 by JoshG1217
- › Cayin i5 by daduy
- › Goldring DR150 High Fidelity Stereo Headphones by themindfreak
- › Sparkos Labs SS3602 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ by VintageFlanker
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by GirgleMirt
- › Onkyo E700M In-ear headphones Black with microphone by doraymon
- › K240 DF by asymcon
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear