I think it would be interesting to know how many dedicated DACs (not including iPods, laptops, etc., of course) people here have in their homes, as well as how many DACs they've owned in their lives. Any quantitative data (and qualitative impressions, too) are welcome!
Related Forum Threads
- ART Legato and BNC to RCA: impedance matching-related question Last post on 6/3/13 at 7:13am in Dedicated Source Components
- Best-sounding source for amp/speakers? Last post on 8/28/12 at 5:17pm in Dedicated Source Components
- SPDIF connection between PC and DAC... Last post on 8/27/12 at 8:46am in Dedicated Source Components
- Computer/DAC vs. DAP as source component Last post on 8/26/12 at 2:12am in Dedicated Source Components
- Help finding DAC for Stax Lambda Pro Last post on 8/24/12 at 11:27pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Shozy has kindly provided me a review unit in exchange for the honest opinion. They are in active use for about 6 months. I should first note that my experience with IEM is a bit limited by now, so...
INTRODUCTION: I would like to thank @Jack Vang of Empire Ears, for the discount on my purchase of the Zeus-XIV-ADEL Custom IEM and for giving me the opportunity to review the IEM. I would also...
This is by far the closest I have come to writing a 5 star review. Of course to get that, I would have to find the holy grail of headphones for me. I had tried the HD558, HD598, HD650, and...
These are *fantastic* for the price. Compared side by side to some old Sennheiser MX500s, that cost at least 4x as much, the Monk+ absolutely wipes the floor - they are hugely superior. Warm...
Acknowledgment Thanks, @Andykong at Cayin, and @Takeanidea for organizing the UK wing of the worldwide extravaganza of i5 tour. It is always an honour to work with great companies and dear...
How many dedicated DACs are in your household?
Poll Results: How many dedicated DACs have you owned in your life?
66 Total Votespost #1 of 226/30/12 at 11:48pmThread Starter
15% (10)6 or more
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 227/1/12 at 12:15am
no idea how many i've owned in my life, but I have 6 in my possession now. 2 x buffalo II, 1 x ibasso D10 and 3 x ackodac AKD12P. to be fair the last 3 are being built into one 6 channel unit to feed 6 power amps for a set of 3 way speakers with software/digital crossover and convolver.post #3 of 227/1/12 at 12:27ampost #4 of 227/1/12 at 9:51ampost #5 of 227/10/12 at 12:19amQuote:Originally Posted by qusp
no idea how many i've owned in my life, but I have 6 in my possession now. 2 x buffalo II, 1 x ibasso D10 and 3 x ackodac AKD12P. to be fair the last 3 are being built into one 6 channel unit to feed 6 power amps for a set of 3 way speakers with software/digital crossover and convolver.
WOW that's a lot..
I only have the XDA-1 and a Buffalo III. Working on the AckoDac now..post #6 of 227/10/12 at 6:43ampost #7 of 227/11/12 at 5:55pmpost #8 of 227/19/12 at 2:33pm
its probably the definition of insanity - next one makes 13? through the years and most still alive (one Entec makes a clicking noise as its constantly seeking a coax input)
AMD, ART DI/o, Entec 205, old AN with tube output and tube regulation (nice!), Monitor 02, Zhaolu D2, Shek, Emotiva, Fubar II, Konnek6, Padden w. transformer outs, Lite AH, RM on order - its kinda like lady Marcos and the shoes thing...
Edited by karlsonklam - 7/19/12 at 2:40pmpost #9 of 227/19/12 at 2:57pmpost #10 of 227/21/12 at 7:07pm
Still have the three I used in a comparison review 9 months ago (Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC (v1); Meier StageDAC; Schiit Bifrost in order of purchase).
I rotate them through my speaker and headphone rig, leaving one surplus at any given time.
Contemplating whether any worthwhile improvement over these can be had for a reasonable price and, if so, what? Other than the usual suspects mentioned on head-fi, have considered Metrum (controversial; enthusiastically supported by purchasers but criticised on technical grounds by others).
Await release and well-done reviews of Schiit Gungir with interest.post #11 of 227/21/12 at 10:42pmpost #12 of 227/24/12 at 2:18pmpost #13 of 227/26/12 at 8:25ampost #14 of 227/26/12 at 8:46pmpost #15 of 227/26/12 at 8:53pm
I currently have an iBasso D10, a nuForce Icon Mobile, and 2 Frontier Tangos (studio Lightpipe DACs). So I answered 4. I also have a pair of Gadget Labs 824s, but since they use a proprietary PCI card I think they don't count as dedicated.
- How many dedicated DACs are in your household?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › USB Strikes Back! Watch out AOIP - USB/Ethernet Chain beats All... 21 seconds ago
- › Combo Music and TV Headphones? 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 1 minute ago
- › JH Audio Rosie Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Modi Multibit or something else? 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 3 minutes ago
- › Fostex T40RP MK3/T20RP MK2 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony NW-WM1Z/ NW-WM1A Flagship DAP (Live From IFA 2016) 4 minutes ago
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by mgunin
- › Empire Ears Zeus by EagleWings
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by snapacap
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear